Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (1960) SACD from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rxcory, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I'm cautiously optimistic. I notice that this album is now also on the Barnes and Noble web site, listed as being in the SACD format, with a release date of Oct. 30, and a sale price of $27.06. They're taking advance orders.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my Mom got me into Nat when I was very young...she played his Christmas Song album constantly during the Holiday season...she had tons of his albums and LP box sets...she really appreciated music.

rxcory likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks so much Clark for the info!

4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Ive got several versions of this, 3 on Cd (they all suck) and 5 or 6 on LP.

The top 2 Lp versions are the 1962 version (logo to the left) and a 1980s "Blue Label" reissue. The "Blue Label" version is the cleanest, technically, you can hear everything clearly, plain as day. But the 1962 version just has that Capitol "Magic", probably due to the EQ they always used when mastering. Its a little bit grainier, yes, but it has that warm, full, wide 1960s Capitol Stereo magic.

rxcory and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  5. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Sometimes, speculation is fun and that's what follows is - pure speculation!

The tracks on Audio Fidelity releases almost always follow the contents from the original vinyl release of an album. For that reason, I tend to think that this release will contain the 14 tracks that were included on "The Christmas Song" LP in 1963 and that that cover will be the predominate artwork in this release. More people recognize it. However, I also think they will include "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" because of it's appearance on The Magic Of Christmas - and hopefully include that artwork in the booklet. 15 tracks - Steve Hoffman re-mastered. Christmas nirvana.

I would be stunned if we got multiple versions of "The Christmas Song" - if for no other reason than licensing costs. Does this release deserve to have them included? Of course! (The 1953 version hasn't been seen on a Nat Cole Christmas CD in ages!) But as much as I would love to see it, I have my doubts that it could be arranged. (But if the do, they should do the 3 released versions!)

(As for the stray single tracks, I think they would sound out of place on a reissue of The Christmas Song album unless this was being called a complete Christmas collection.)

Get2Me and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  6. The announcement I've been waiting for since AP and AF first tackled Nat King Cole. Easily the most exciting SACD announcement in a long while.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the tip. It isn't available on amazon.com yet.

8. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Universal/Capitol should release a complete collection of ALL of Cole's Christmas recordings like the Crosby and Como sets.

Simon A and colormesinatra like this.
  9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

They'd mess it up. Wrong takes, copy tapes, bad SQ, recycled Norberg masterings, you name it.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Agreed. I think it's more likely that Real Gone might try to do that at some point, like they did with Perry Como & Andy Williams.

(I wonder if it would ever be possible to do a similar re-issue of Crosby's Merry Christmas album? Or was a lot of that material lost in the Universal fire? The Capitol Sinatra would be nice.)

Get2Me likes this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Very excited about this news!

12. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Look at all the positivity and excitement here regarding this re-issue/release! And they thought a Nat King Cole Christmas SACD wouldn't be profitable! All they had to do was make it happen and trust that it would sell! Seriously, this is THE re-issue/release of Christmas 2015 for me - and there's a lot of excellent, first-time-on-CD stuff coming down the pike! Merry Christmas, indeed!
    :goodie:

.crystalised. and rxcory like this.
  13. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I bought all of the Nat King Cole SACDs over the last year and a half. I can't wait for this one. Dream come true. I bet the sales from this SACD will be strong enough for another SACD release after this one.

ToEhrIsHuman and .crystalised. like this.
  14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent Thread Starter

Gawd, I hope so! :edthumbs:

15. stereoguy

Certainly, this will have the cover of "The Christmas Song" LP, with Nat sitting around the fireplace. Thats what it SHOULD have.

.crystalised. and Get2Me like this.
  16. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Quite a bummer that Capitol released this on vinyl last year, seemingly from some recent digital remaster that wasn't doing it any favors, from what I recall. I wish I still listened to SACDs, this would be an automatic purchase if ever there was one!

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

From another NKC thread:
    There were some not-too-happy campers over that one!

.crystalised. likes this.
  18. stereoguy

Actually, there is nothing wrong with al least 2 of the vinyl versions, the 1962 "logo left" and the 1980s
    Blue Label". Both beat every version released on Cd, that's for sure.

dale 88 likes this.
  19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes, this album is very poorly represented in terms of commonly available CD versions. @dale 88 has posted about some little-known, legit foreign market EMI releases, starting here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...stmas-song-albums.304017/page-9#post-11587712 .

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yeah, as I said in the other thread, my 1980's medium blue label Capitol was my favorite LP version out of the many I listened to. Mine was pressed by Capitol.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Where can I find the solo mono version on cd? I'm old fashioned!

22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I don't remember running across a mono CD version of the whole album. Now that possibly would be a nice bonus on the upcoming SACD.

23. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

CD Universe sent me an email that it is available for preorder. About $33 there.

24. stereoguy

UUGGHHH. You don't want this beautiful, orchestral Lp in Mono. The Stereo is a work of art!!

.crystalised. and rxcory like this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's high for an Audio Fidelity SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.