SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "The Very Thought Of You" -New multi-channel SACD question for Steve H.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Loud Listener, Jun 20, 2010.

1. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Today was my first listen to The Very Thought of You—specifically, the 1987 Capital CD. Ten seconds into the first song, “sounding pretty good” was my first thought. Honest. :) This beautiful album is on repeat tonight.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nothing was locked in on the three-track. It is dry as a bone. The master Larry created had Capitol chamber 9 echo added during the mixing to digital process..

3. Steve Hoffman

I'm a "Love Is The Thing" fan but this follow up was nice, a bit over the top in the arrangements but that's hardly Nat's fault..

recap200 likes this.
  4. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

This was the first Nat CD I ever owned - a gift from my parents. I used to listen to it with the lights off so there were no distractions. Good times.

5. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Yep, I'm a fan of Love Is The Thing, too! I own both the CD and the LP.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It took me a while to get (back) all of the AP SACDs (long story short- had them all at one time). WHERE DID EVERYONE GO was the last one and took
    almost 2 years (talk about a rarity in the wild!).

Thanks for all of the hard work you put into these @Steve Hoffman. They're a joy sonically and historically.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  7. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

Understood - how difficult is that to get 'right' Steve? Didn't you add plate echo to the 3 track masters during the creation of both mixes (SACD and Vinyl) for the AP release of 'The Nat King Cole Story'?

8. Steve Hoffman

Had to, it sounds too funky without reverb. Just a touch, though. Too much and we're in a big cave.

FJC1966 likes this.
  9. Steve, I loved all three albums you remixed featuring Nat and Gordon Jenkins. Where Did Everyone Go was an underrated jewel of torch ballads.

harmonica98, hodgo and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Yes it was. Also (on a tech. note) the first Nat Cole album not to have a live mono mix. The mono version was created from the three-track. That was the reason we didn't include it on the AP SACD.

kennyluc1, hodgo and lukejosephchung like this.
  11. ModernBingFan0377

ModernBingFan0377 Crosby ‘Connoisseur’

Listening to a stereo pressing from, I’m guessing, the mid-early 60s going off of the original sleeve. Very nice sounding, and of course Nat is always a joy. I need to keep an eye out for the AP version done by our host here. That and Love Is The Thing. Love Is The Thing is my favorite of the two, but both are beautiful albums in their own rights.