NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I can appreciate the work involved. The Stardust index you posted has come in very handy, so thank you for the first effort.

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Located another LP that has some radio songs from Nat -- the King Cole Trio. I found it at a record shop in Coeur d'Alene. It is August 23, 1947 and the songs are being recorded at The Bocage Nightclub in Hollywood for AFRS.

Oscar Moore is still there. They do six songs with a guest shot of Stan Kenton playing piano: Variation On Artistry In Rhythm. Oscar Moore and Johnny Miller join in near the end.

The King Cole Trio songs:

Kate 1:25
    You're The Cream In My Coffee 1:38
    Ain't Cha Ever Coming Back 2:10
    This Is My Night To Dream 1:50
    An Apple Blossom Wedding 2:40
    I Know That You Know 1:16​

Evidently two songs are unique to this transcription: Ain't Cha Ever Coming Back and An Apple Blossom Wedding. I couldn't find anywhere else that Nat had recorded these.

However I am not going to recommend any of these versions really. Just didn't care for these interpretations. And while I don't expect much from these radio recordings, the sound here is pretty limp.

3. dale 88

The LP is titled One Night Stand with Nat King Cole and Stan Kenton, on Joyce 1076. I believe it was issued in the 1970's.

NKCBocageLP.jpg

4. dale 88

The Stan Kenton tracks on the flip side are for another AFRS show which was called ONE NIGHT STAND. Here is an AFRS label template for One Night Stand radio records:

AFRSoneNightStand.gif

5. dale 88

This is an update to the list of radio performances on discs.

6. dale 88

from Billboard magazine, June 28, 1947, a review of the King Cole Trio at The Bocage nightclub:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.