Nazz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashdaily, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member Thread Starter

What does this word mean? There was a Yardbirds song titled "The Nazz Are Blue". And Todd Rundrgen had a group called The Nazz. What is nazz?

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

..........Not really recalling from memory cuz I was a wee child when such hipster talk was current but later reading on the period clued me in that The Nazz was 50s beatnik bohemian slang for the coolest,the neatest,the hippest ect. whatever. Was used in context to describe both things and people. Heard old albums by Lord Buckley(a beatnik rapper of some little fame) put out on the Elektra label and seem to remember his using the term if not actually having a song by that name Nazz. Specifics fail me cuz it was long,long ago and didn't make a lasting impression.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Keith Emerson had a band called the Nice, and the Small Faces had a song called "Here Comes The Nice". The Nice was Brit hipster slang for your local dope dealer.

I always thought there was a secret trans-Atlantic connection between the Nice and the Nazz, but years of fruitless investigation proved me wrong. Grassy knoll.

Cheers,
    Bruce

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Good question.

Ziggy was 'the Nazz, with god-given ***", or was that "hands"?, but he took it all too far.

5. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I never heard any other explanation other than the Lord Buckley bit-a retelling of the New Testament. The Nazz refers to Jesus (of Nazareth) as "The Nazz." I don't think anyone else had thought of that phrase till Lord Buckley-which can be said for much of what came out of his wonderful mind.

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Yes, the Lord Buckley/Jesus of Nazareth explanation is the one I've always heard as well.

However, that still doesn't fully explain the use of the term in The Yardbirds' "The Nazz Are Blue." The song is typical of The Yardbirds' approach to blues...stealing the music from others (Elmore James's "Dust My Broom") and grafting on new words. In this case, Jeff Beck sings "I got myself a car, and the thing is painted blue" -- but there's no reference to The Nazz anywhere in the song.

So was this just whimsey on The Yardbirds' part (I believe all five of them are credited with authorship), or is there some deeper significance to it?

7. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I read someplace years ago it was the British Police.

8. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

I remember Ian Hunter used that term in "Hymn For The Dudes", I've always wondered about it's meaning, but I figured it was safe to assume it had a meaning similar to that described by rene smalldridge.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Wikipedia refers to the Lord Buckley-Jesus of Nazareth source, nothing about drug dealers or police.

And nothing about Nazis, which was my first puzzled musing about Ziggy Stardust.

10. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.