NBC series 'St. Elsewhere,' 80s forgotten masterpiece that paved the way for today's peak TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Doris Roberts... was she the homeless lady crying, "They're gonna cut off my feet!"? If so I remember that all too well

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I was a kid when it originally aired, so I'm watching it for the first time on Hulu. It's as good as what I've read here.

steelydanguy and Dan C like this.
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hmm, I thought ST. ELSEWHERE was HILL STREET BLUES set in a hospital. I'm not saying St. ELSEWHERE wasn't a great show, but IMO it had been made possible by the police show.

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Certainly the HSB format of multiple overlapping stories, some serialized and some self-contained, influenced “St. Elsewhere.” And “LA Law.”

Jack Lord likes this.
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I was drawn to St Elsewhere because one of the stars was featured in my college application packet (hint: Denzel). I thought it was amusing enough, but could never stick with it.

Then I watched the whole thing in syndication and loved it. Damn good show- kind of quirky.

905 likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Goodnight, Mrs. Hufnagel, wherever you are...
    [​IMG]

SteelyNJ and Veronica Mars like this.
  8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

9. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

<<This show was unlike anything on network TV before. It had a specific cinematic look and design, weaved together dozens of complicated plot lines that challenged the viewer to pay attention week to week, and had one of the best ensemble casts in TV history.>>

While I'm a big fan of St. Elsewhere and watched the complete run when it originally aired, I don't think it's accurate to say that the show was unlike anything on network TV before. Hill Street Blues, which premiered roughly a year and a half before St. Elsewhere, also featured a large - and exceptionally talented - cast and complicated plot lines. And like St. Elsewhere, it was critically acclaimed.

10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

HSB and SE comprised one of best two hours of consecutive network TV ever IMO. When Dr. Auschlander (NL) started smoking marijuana to relieve chemo pain I was blown away. GRHS

Dan C likes this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

94, and married to the lovely Bonnie Bartlett for seventy years!

sharedon and Dan C like this.
  12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

steelydanguy and Ken E. like this.
  13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

One seemingly unique part of St. Elsewhere was its references that it was a TV show,set in a TV world. White Shadow references,the arc of Steve Allen & Co. appearances as parents to some of the St. Elsewhere characters,the appearance of ZZ Top during the band's MTV video success and ,of course,the final moments involving a snow globe,mocking what the viewer had witnessed over six seasons. Even the TV world was not part of a TV world,as much as the dreams of an autistic child. Unique.

Dan C and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Newsradio Season 3, Episode 7, Daydream ended with a parody of the St. Elsewhere snow globe ending. They really did it well. Doesn't appear the clip is out there anywhere for free viewing.

I never saw St. Elsewhere, but my mom would always have it on when I was a kid and with what I would see going in and out of the room, the title, the theme song, William Daniels (who at the time people would point out was the voice of KITT) and Ed Begley, Jr. (who became one of those celebrities who would get routinely referenced by comedians) it always stayed really memorable to me over the years. So I'm surprised to hear it's forgotten. I never even watched an episode and I can remember it.

I can't stand hospitals, so to this day I've never watched any series set in a hospital, except for the one episode of E.R. directed by Quentin Tarantino, which was a waste of my time, LOL.

Dan C likes this.
  15. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Dan C likes this.
  16. Marcus Lusk

Marcus Lusk Well-Known Member

If anyone’s still looking for ST ELSEWHERE streaming, HULU has all six seasons, now in the proper order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.