NBC's Manifest

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Sep 26, 2018.

1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Unless that movie is on a streaming service I have, I’ll never see it.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's some cringe-worthy news over the weekend: Netflix is picking up all of Season 4, 22 episodes worth, with all of the original cast of Manifest...

'Manifest': Netflix revives drama for fourth and final season

Apparently, this really freaked out NBC, because they hate to be one-upped by streaming services. Everybody assumed Peacock/NBC/Universal would pay for it, but they bid too late and Netflix scooped it up.

I will hate-watch every episode and complain the entire time about how bad it is. How much ya bet that nothing is explained by the last episode? This is like Lost all over again, only it makes even less sense and it's not nearly as well-done.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...Maybe I should try watching this now?

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just noticed a 4th Season tease for this...a thread started on the nearly-unanimous opinion that is was dreadful. Yet all the other fantasy/sci-fi/action series not involving Dick Wolf, NBC drops like hot potatoes.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is worse than dreadful.

watch guy fieri re-runs instead, you will be more entertained.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not looking to be entertained, just wondering why NBC would waste their faith on shows with lesser expectations. And still use something like this as a carrot to draw people to Peacock...what, wasn't the beguiling draw of never missing Jimmy Fallon not enough...? :hurl:

10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

We all love it so much that nobody bothered posting the season 4 trailer that came out a month ago. :laugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this pretty much tells you all you need to know about manifest..............

12. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Lol! Looks spellbinding!

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, in the final episode from last season, his character suddenly aged like 8 years, so a different actor plays the same character. I think pretty much everybody else is back.

I'll hate-watch the last episodes on Netflix, but I'll complain and criticize the entire time.

14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Sounds like a plan :righton:

15. Dok

Dok Senior Member

sixtiesstereo and Vidiot like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Dok likes this.
  17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Stared watching at beginning of broadcasting and just started the 3rd season couple of days ago as a time filler. Rarely say this but, we’re giving it up after the 6th episode. Why? We just don’t care what happens to anyone involved. Sorry we wasted all that time.
    There have been some “real gem” series out there over the past twenty or so years but this sure ain’t one of them.

18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quite possibly the worst show ever to get more than one season on network TV....somebody owed something to somebody somewhere.....there is no other explanation.

rockclassics and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  20. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

My first legit hate watch since Under The Dome, which set a bar so low that few shows can possibly ever match it. Manifest is absymal, but so far I have yet to actually laugh at dialogue meant to be dramatic, as I had with Domey Dome.

Maybe Vasquez will start getting beat up again or something interesting will happen, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm probably going to let it blurt. Or maybe the dog will start getting callings. Or something.

Dan

Tim Lookingbill and Vidiot like this.
  21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Is it Wayward Pines bad? I think La Brea is an all-time fiasco on a major network.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wayward Pines was pretty good for the first season (when M. Night Shyalamalan was involved), but it kind of went off the cliff for the second and final season. It's sort of a shaggy dog story where you find out "ohhhhhh, that's how they wound up in this apocalyptic future," but it fizzles after that.

La Brea is incredibly awful, and doubly so for me since I live right around where that giant mile-deep hole is. What's funny to me about the show is that it looks so dorky: their visual effects budget is about $1.98, plus they shoot it all in Australia, so the whole thing is pretty bad. And there's a lot of terrible fake-American accents by different actors, too. Did they ever resolve that whole piece of crap? I'd watch the last couple of episodes if it explained the whole story and explained all the mysteries.

I think Under the Dumb is in a class by itself for sheer stupidity. I am in awe of the writers and producers who could create such a steaming pile of goat dung and get it aired on network TV. Manifest is really, really, really bad as well, but I was intrigued with the first few episodes and kind of felt obligated to stick with it. But it's a chore to watch. I kind of laugh at how regular characters come and go as the actors get jobs in (assumably better-paying) other projects. The show makes absolutely no sense.

I think you could probably start a streaming channel called Worst TV Ever and show LaBrea, Manifest, Under the Dome, Wayward Pines, and a few others 24 hours a day. Maybe add Terra Nova, FlashForward, Heroes, Alcatraz, The Event, Kyle XY, The 4400, Emergence, and Zero Hour. I have a fondness for the show Dollhouse, only because it went insane for the last 5-6 episodes and they crammed 2 years worth of stories into 5 hours to wrap up the series, which was exhausting and hilarious.

And let's not forget recent shows that got cancelled too soon, so nothing was ever explained. I liked the Sissy Spacek show Night Sky, about an elderly couple with a dimensional portal under a barn in their backyard that led to another planet, but just about nobody watched it. Outer Range, with Josh Brolin, is coming back but I'm getting a similar vibe from that: a Wyoming rancher is hiding a giant hole on his cattle-grazing ranch, and the hole is a time-portal into which you can jump into different eras... but without any control on where and when you go.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Maybe there's more to this writer's union strike that suggest a theme of escaping reality not in just what they're paid but what they have to write.

It's kind of ironic that all those shows mentioned have plots where characters want to escape reality through a portal to another era in history or on another planet, watched by people wanting to escape reality being confused with each episode as I was with La Brea.

Another series that appeared to have promise with a Coen Brothers vibe was Big Sky on ABC where I was hooked on the first episode about girls being abducted by men that were uniquely unhinged sociopaths hiding in plain sight as pillars of the community where on the first episode has Ryan Phillipe getting his head blown off at point blank range by a quiet soft spoken highway patrol officer played by John Carroll Lynch who was the postage stamp artist in the Fargo movie.

I kept forgetting the time Big Sky aired due to so many trailers for shows on streaming channels I didn't subscribe to that by the time I got back into Big Sky I see Reba McEntire miscast as a dark character sociopath. It lost all credibility.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Vidiot likes this.
  24. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's still going! Renewed for a 3rd season, before WGA strike.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!

rockclassics and Tim Lookingbill like this.