Neal Casal (CRB, Circles Around the Sun, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals) R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Aug 27, 2019.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power Thread Starter

2. Erik B.

3. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Just signed up to mention Neal is aming my favourite sideman, slash songwriters, criminally underrated but I guess his 70s brand of tasteful, classic rock is desperately out of fashion now.

Coincidentally,I had Anytime Tomorrow on when I got up this morning. I don't know any personal details it was always about the music for me but I heard some rumours involving Adams and me too, that was shocking but as I said I didn t care usually to find out much about my faves personally.

It's a drag if true. Will listen to the records throughout today, they are great, check them out if you don't know them.

4. Erik B.

5. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Wow. I only know of his work with Ryan Adams, and I was often critical of that period of the Cardinals, but there’s no denying he was a fine musician and trusted by a great number in the industry. RIP Neal.

MikaelaArsenault, dtuck90 and Erik B. like this.
  6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Heartbreaking.

MikaelaArsenault and Erik B. like this.
  7. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Ryan Adams has now tweeted about Neal. Seems the news is indeed sadly true.

8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Shocking news. His solo albums comprise one of my favorite artist discographies.

9. Erik B.

Gutted.

MikaelaArsenault and Bonddm like this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Ryan Adams on Twitter

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is awful. I've just recently begun to get into his solo work. Have "Sweeten The Distance" in the car right now.

12. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Very sad news. Love his solo work and especially 'Basement Dreams' is a thing of real beauty. Will give it a spin tonight in his honor.

13. Logfire

Logfire Well-Known Member

Mostly know him from the years with the Cardinals... Seemed like a great person. 50 years old is too soon.
    R.I.P

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Such shocking news. I know him mostly from the Cardinals (not my favourite Ryan Adams period but they were a great match) and the Circles Around the Sun stuff from the Fare Thee Well Boxset. I still need to pick up that second Circles Around the Sun album

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't know he was in Blackfoot. I have that album too. Never made the connection. R.I.P.

16. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Love his work on CRB and Circles Around The Sun. I am wondering what happened to him. Was he sick? RIP.

17. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Rally sucks, I was googling for this forum and Neal's name and there's seemingly many threads so it seems he was more respected on this site in music more generally than I thought , I prefer his stuff to Adams's by a long way.

"And no one knows just what lay in store
    No one knows just what we're in for
    No one knows who'll be the nest one to go"

Such a wonderful tune which has seen me personally through some 'hard times' of my own.

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

What?! Just the other day he was on an Instagram video post to fundraise an album he was producing. What happened?

19. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

He was sick last year.
    Took quite a bit of time off from playing with CRB and was replaced by Greg Loiacono.

MikaelaArsenault and Dbstay like this.
  20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

This was always one of my favourite Neal songs.

I will remember him most though I think for his collaborations with Ryan Adams. The harmonies, the guitars... they were one of those rare beautiful matches.

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

“It’s with great sadness that we tell you our brother Neal Casal has passed away. As so many of you know, Neal was a gentle, introspective, deeply soulful human being who lived his life through artistry and kindness. His family, friends and fans will always remember him for the light that he brought to the world. Rest easy Neal, we love you.“

Neal Casal

22. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Although I haven't really been keeping in with what Neal's been into musically lately, I've always admired his guitar playing from the Cardinals and also the earliest Robinson Brotherhood recordings. This is absolutely shocking and sad news. RIP Mr. Casal, you will be missed...

23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

24. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

It's true. What a shame. Saw him with CRB last summer and met him briefly the following morning. Couldn't have been nicer.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m seeing reports it was suicide. Absolutely devastating. It’s happening far too regularly.