Neal Morse Appreciation Thread - A Guide for Beginners and Fans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

2021 is getting better already!!!

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  2. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I listened to The Grand Experiment (TGE) recently and enjoyed the heck out of it. Some much so that I've just bought Alive Again, which is now my favourite live Neal and right up there with live Transatlantic for me - which is not something I thought I'd ever say, as they're my favourite live band.

I'm not normally much of a vocals fan but do love the variety added by the shared lead vocals on TGE. Eric, especially, is an amazing vocalist (and guitarist, of course). The music is also less heavy than some of Neal's other recent albums, which also appeals to me. As a bass fanatic, I wish I could hear Randy's parts better on Neal's albums, as they seem much more in the background compared with Dave's very forward bass parts in Spock's Beard. Anyhow, a fifth NM Band album later this year is definitely something to look forward to.

I have all 22 (I think!) of Neal's prog albums (Spock's, solo and Transatlantic.) The sheer volume of material means that little has been overplayed and I couldn't tell you from memory how many of the tracks go.

I'm about five plays in and so only three more until I love it - excellent! :)

ytserush, Skylab, Mr.Mustache and 2 others like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

A few points to touch on...

Re: Randy George vs Dave Meros. Meros definitely comes from the Chris Squire school of bass playing, where it's almost like he is playing another lead instrument more often than not, and that will always stand out. I think Randy has the chops to do that as well - listen to Time Changer from Testimony 2 which was written and played in the spirit of the original Spock's sound since the song is about that time period; Randy totally channels Dave's playing from that era extremely well - but plays in his own style most of the time which is not as in your face, but still pretty damn good. I remember getting the ? album when it was first out and being amazed at his playing on that record, in particular.

4th NMB album is next (not the 5th). ;)

22 prog albums? That sounds about right, but it can be hard to keep track of them all, haha.

I still like Sola Gratia, but it's definitely one of my least favorite Neal prog albums ever along with Lifeline.

Mr.Mustache and Cledwyn like this.
  4. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I love Randy's playing - I had a listen to ? yesterday and really enjoyed what I could make out of his contributions there. However, I just wish that on some of Neal's albums it was mixed a little louder so I could hear it better. Electric bass is my favourite instrument and what I tend to focus on most when listening to pop and rock music.

I love how both Dave's playing in Spock's and also how high it is in the mix. This means that even on albums like their last one where the songs aren't the strongest, I can just sit back and wallow in the overall sound of the tracks - particularly Dave's meaty bass and Ryo's keys, especially the Mellotron.

Yes, it is of course the fourth NMB album up next. Hopefully, the fifth won't be too far behind!

Lifeline is probably Neal's weakest solo album, however, I was forewarned about this and so when I finally picked it up I was pleasantly surprised. Lifeline is one of my favourite Neal tracks, So Many Roads isn't one of his best epics but is still pretty good and the shorter pop tracks in the middle are pleasant enough and provide a relaxing interlude between the longer proggy tracks. I generally put it on when I want a bit of more relaxing Neal music to listen to. :)

George Co-Stanza and Mr.Mustache like this.
  5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Lifelines is in my top 5 NM albums. Play it more often than most others.

6. Skylab

Skylab Arriving somewhere but not here

Neal Morse has been steadily climbing my list of personal favorite musicians - he’s now in my top 10. “Sola Gratia” is my favorite album released in 2020. It probably would have been tops for me anyway, but seeing it performed live at Morsefest was the clincher. Neal is a phenomenal live performer, as I’m sure most/many in this thread know.

7. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Me too! Neal's now probably my second favourite (after Paul McCartney), with Mike Portnoy also in my Top 10. :)

8. Mr.Mustache

I'd have to say that Randy's playing on "Testimony Two" is Some of his best! He's all over that album in a big way. I really appreciate Neal's music where Randy takes a lead.

Cledwyn, Skylab and George Co-Stanza like this.
  9. Mr.Mustache

I really like "Lifeline"!! The title track and "So Many Roads" are masterpieces. And "Leviathan" is such a cool prog kaleidoscope of a song with an ending that's a total tour de force. Here's a clip of the ending where Randy's fingers almost fall off.

Bemsha, ytserush, Cledwyn and 2 others like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

I haven't made a favorite musicians list in a while, but Neal would definitely be near the top. Probably top 5 along with Steven Wilson and, well, probably all three members of Rush, haha.

11. George Co-Stanza

Well, even though he is a great drummer, Portnoy's busy style can often make it difficult for the bass player to be heard. That was often an observation about John Myung as well during Portnoy's long tenure with that band. Spock's Beard's music is more rock and generally less busy, so Meros has room to be heard.

T2 is one of my favorite Neal solo albums. I love that a lot of the album has that fun vibe that was so prevalent in his writing with Spock's. Songs like Time Changer, Time Has Come Today and Nighttime Crawlers are just good crank them up and rock out fun tunes.

Cledwyn and Mr.Mustache like this.
  12. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I'm sure I'd be a much bigger Dream Theater fan if I could hear more of John Myung's playing. His playing looks awesome and the occasional bits I can hear clearly sound good too.

My Top 10 includes three members of Yes - Chris, Rick and Steve, in that order. :)

George Co-Stanza and Rufus rag like this.
  13. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I came across this yesterday:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  14. George Co-Stanza

I think Myung is more audible most of the time than some think, but not enough people (not you necessarily) listen to music on good stereos anymore to where they can hear everything.

15. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Being old school, I only listen through a proper stereo (separate CD player, turntable, amp and speakers) but sadly my hearing isn't the best. I struggle a bit to distinguish the separate musical elements when there's lots of distortion. In DT, I used to struggle a bit to hear Jordan sometimes, until I realised that some of his keyboard parts actually sound like guitars. :)

Back on topic, here's the first review I've come across of The Absolute Universe:

Transatlantic – The Absolute Universe: Forevermore (InsideOut)

and here's an interesting interview with Neal and Roine:

NEAL MORSE and ROINE STOLT Talk TRANSATLANTIC’s “The Absolute Universe” Record: ‘This Is Us Attempting to Take an Album Where No Band Has Gone Before’

16. George Co-Stanza

Should be interesting to hear the differences in Neal's shorter version and Roine's longer version. I suspect both will get a lot of mileage in my CD player. :cool:

Cledwyn, Mr.Mustache and Skylab like this.
  17. Skylab

Skylab Arriving somewhere but not here

DROOL...can’t wait for my preorder to arrive...
    [​IMG]

ytserush, Rufus rag, PJayBe and 2 others like this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

It's been a while since I pulled out Alive Again. I've always liked it it's just that I haven't listened to it in a while.

I too love Dave's playing and his tone.

19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Finally settled on the Ultimate Edition myself. Difficult choice.

20. George Co-Stanza

Is there any news on if the ultimate edition or any of the others come with the digital files if you purchase the physical products?

21. Mr.Mustache

New podcast with PHIL KEAGGY!!!!!
    My two favorite musicians all in one spot!

22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

No clue. Doesn't amazon regularly do that?

23. George Co-Stanza

Not sure, to be honest. It has been ages since I bought an actual physical CD from amazon. I guess I'll have to do some research, haha.

24. Mr.Mustache

Oh yeah!!!!!

25. Mr.Mustache

Neal with Jon Anderson!

Rufus rag likes this.