Need a 4K Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lukather, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I just bought a 77” Sony oled A9,

I assume I should get a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, but don’t know which one.

Any help here please?

thank you

mikeyt and longdist01 like this.
  2. kevin

kevin Senior Member

My advice would be to get the UBP-X800 which is the one I have.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Depending on your requirements and budget the Panasonic DP-UB820 will probably give you a better picture than any Sony player. If you need DVD-A or SACD then it's useless!

In general I have found Panasonic blu ray players provide the best movie playback.

RolandG and The Hud like this.
  4. Lukather

Thank you!

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I see you bought a Sony player. Interested to hear if you compared it to a Panasonic or simply got the Sony to match the tv?

6. Lukather

Yeah, Did not compare.......yes, wanted Sony to match tv, oppo 205 upstairs, but all I care about with that is music

scobb likes this.
  7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve been pondering the UBP-X800 but have read about lots of performance glitches and locking up in customer reviews. Anyone have any experiences like that? I would be using it with a Vizio 43” M series set.

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I have the UBP-X700, I think for the cost it has a lot of offer but I have found that it locks up more than I'd like and I have a copy of Braveheart which doesn't work at all. You stick it in and the machine locks up every time. I haven't had too much trouble with my other discs but I think I had a lockup at least twice while watching a movie, I think once was when I was watching Apocalypse Now.
    I think its the cheapest model you can get that offers Dolby Vision but I think you have to switch it on manually in the settings.

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. Thus far having owned the Vizio since last January, it’s largely been a good experience, but this new 4K world does have issues. I’ve only been streaming hi-res content, I’ve never had a BD player. For occasional disc play I use a Pioneer DV79avi. It upscales to 1080i, the Vizio only plays what it receives, no upscaling capability of it’s own.

I’ve been largely pleased with the DVD picture, but wouldn’t mind returning the Pioneer to the system I borrowed it from when we got the TV. It would be a nice bonus to maintain SACD and DCD-A play with the Sony unit.

The other option I was considering was a used Oppo. I see the BD103 is now going for $450ish. Not sure it’s really worth that much to me for the use it will get in this system, and I don’t plan on amassing a big UHD BD collection, though I may buy a few select titles. Streaming is predominant here and the Dolby Vision quality is excellent. Plus I’ve still got scores of DVDs that have never been played, so a BD player that offered better upscaling would be nice for those.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Best 4K-Blu-ray player is Panasonic DP-UB9000 IMO

I have the european model and the picture and build quality is awesome.

darkmass likes this.
  11. I’m in a similar boat to the OP, and am looking to pull the trigger on a Sony UBP-X1100ES. It’s been touted as a solid universal digital player for those of us who missed out on the Oppo 205 - unlike the above Panasonic, it’ll play SACD and DVD-A too, and features stereo analog outputs - and the only real drawback I’m aware of is that, as noted above with respect to a cheaper Sony model, you have to turn on Dolby Vision manually. Why this hasn’t been dealt with via a firmware update, I have no idea.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

X700 or 800.

13. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

You do understand if you got the Oppo 103 you couldn't play uhd right?

I happen to have a 103D and a sony ubp x800 m2. I got the sony more as a backup dvd-a, sacd player. Uhd capability was a bonus. I've had no lockup problems with physical discs or streaming- only a couple of times using my phone in the usb input.

I think the sony is a good value. They saved money by forgoing any analog- hdmi only- and no display. They spent the savings on a solid chassis- nice build quality.

I'm very happy with mine. I play bluray and dvd movies on the Oppo to utilize darbee; otherwise I play everything else on the sony to save wear and tear on the Oppo.

The sony works great. The only negative as mentioned above is that you have to turn on dolbyvision manually. They go on sale often, as low as $200. I got mine for $250. Great value imo and good performance. Uhd looks great.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Was in a store the other day seen Panasonic OLED TX-65 HZW 2100.

2630.96 ( a bit pricey )

15. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

The X700 is like $100 off at retail (Target, for instance)

16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I can second the UB820 for movie playback. It's fantastic, but we don't use it for anything else (audio CD, SACD, streaming apps, etc...)

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

and there's only 1 left so hurry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.