Need a turntable for my dad, nothing terribly expensive...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Hey, I'm using my old 6100 for the time being. To me, the no brainer choice for someone who doesn't want to get involved is full-auto.

timind, bever70 and Guitarded like this.
  2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

The AT120 that others have mentioned is a good turntable with lots of flexibility and excellent build quality, though the wide variety of controls may overwhelm your dad at first. Plus, I have enjoyed the Ortofon OM5E that comes with the Debut III (I got it in my review sample of the Juke Box E). Another idea, if you want to spend more money, is the Pro-Ject Juke Box E at $500. I reviewed it with the Speaker Box 5 and despite some gripes, I enjoyed it.

Pro-Ject’s New “Juke Box E” System Is A Decent Entry Into Analog (Manufacturer's Response Added)

3. Used to be...…...

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nope.

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Something with a cue lever.

McGuy and AutomatedElectronics like this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Even their humble 95e is manufactured in Japan. Note question #5:
    AT95E Dual Magnet Cartridge

Their main production facility is in Fukai

SoundDoctor and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  7. Both the AT95E I bought awhile ago and the AT95EX I bought a few days ago say "Made In China" printed on the boxes, so, try again.

8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

[​IMG]

9. I've never seen those in a bubble pack before or any other cartridge for that matter. If I saw a cartridge packaged like that, I'd pass on it, no mater who made it. Mine came in paper boxes , but they did have the hanging tab on them. I also bought a replacement stylus, an ATN95EX and it came in an identically sized similar looking box as the cartridges did. Other brands of cartridges and replacement stylii I've bought may have had an outer paper box, the inside was a hard plastic box. Heck, all the Shure M97xe's came in an oversized metal case. The N97xe replacement stylii are in a hard plastic box inside a paper box and nothing has ever had a hanging tab. All my older AT cartridges, dating back to the early 70's, came in legitimate boxes. I've bought quite a few Pfanstiehl P51-1 and P132D's and they came in hard plastic boxes. Grado's came in a carboard tube. Pickerings came either in a hard plastic box or a plastic tube. No. I see something in a hanging bubble pack, it looks like junk to me.

10. Cyclone Ranger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BeauZooka and Helom like this.
  11. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

If he's not used to playing records, why not an automatic? Denon DP300f is selling for $200, comes from a manufacturer with a 100 year history, and probably sounds as good as the Debut III, more or less. Denon DP-300F

H8SLKC, McGuy and CCrider92 like this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Might want to investigate whether those are counterfeit. The real question is why anyone would replace an AT95e with another.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, because the Japanese have been known to counterfeit their own brands and label them as "Made in China", just for the cache of it. :)
    -Bill

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I see that Marantz has an automatic turntable available with or without a preamp. Personally, I like automatic tables.

15. Maybe because they are different cartridges as well as different stylii. In the paperwork which came inside the box, the AT95ex cartridge is in the AT VM family, as I think I pointed out earlier. The AT95e does not indicate anything about the VM family.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I suppose they find it most efficient/economical to manufacture the same model in both China and Japan. :rolleyes:

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

You referred to the 95e in your earlier post. ;) AT also makes carts for Clearaudio...in Japan. :agree:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  18. Audio Gent

Audio Gent The Audio Gent

I picked up a Music Hall 1.5 a few months ago, comes with a Melody cart installed $399. Nice looking piece in cherry wood and has a pleasant sound. Dad would be pleased.

19. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

Everything he said ^^^ plus this: $225!
    Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog), Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_B4J-BbKFDFZRE

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

As a Debut III user of many years, I suggest that if you're going to get him a Debut III, take advantage of the sale price and also get him a Pro-Ject Speed Box S. I had problems with motor noise for years with my Debut III and the Speed Box was the only thing that solved it. Even if he's not a dedicated audiophile, you don't want to give him a TT and then have him be disappointed because it hums.

The Orbit U-Turn may not have such problems and therefore may be a better choice, but you will have to pay extra for the cueing mechanism and that is essential.

McGuy likes this.
  21. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

At least for tonight, the MMF2.2 is going for $225.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. Cyclone Ranger

50% off... pretty nice deal.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And this is available where?

24. Cyclone Ranger

Music Direct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.