Need a turntable to accurately grade LPS then sell

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vconsumer, Sep 25, 2022.

1. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s Thread Starter

I have a 200-300 LPs that I'd like to sell, some rare and collectable, but I have nothing to grade them by other than a visual inspection. I still have a phono amp (Hagtech Cornet II) and cartridge (Audio Technica ML-440a with low hours), so what I'm looking for is a turntable without a cartridge than I can use to grade the LPs reliably and then resell. In combination with my phono stage and cartridge, what turntables should I consider?

2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Any. Your probably want to hear if there's any surface noise and the record should be clean

BrentB likes this.
  3. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Maybe an AT-LP120? It should be an easy resell, being such a well known product. Seems like it's cartridge would also be just fine as an evaluation tool.

goer likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I wonder if playgrading is likely to increase the sales price enough over visual grading to make buying a turntable a worthwhile proposition. I’m dubious.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I think people appreciate a playgrade; the problem being that not all cartridge/stylus models track the same. Hence the OP's question, I guess.

Problem with play grading is that some titles have a lot of surface noise right out of the bag. Is that really a reason to downgrade?

6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've had an LP that was visually beautiful and looked unplayed. Turns out it was cleaned very nicely but was completely filled with groove damage. It was a Soul 2 Soul LP that had probably been played out by a heavy tracking DJ in a club setting. The seller did me a solid and sent me a sealed original pressing. Always look for play graded in the notes.

uzn007 and jupiterboy like this.
  7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've got a used Sota for sale for less than a grand. It has a less expensive cart on it but it is optimized for these AT carts that like low capacitance.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  8. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

You don't need an expensive table just to check for surface noise and groove damage.
    Check Craigslist for a cheap old table with a medium mass tonearm.

BrentB likes this.
  9. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

In all honesty, if you are going to grade you Records as ' Played and tested ' , then you can sell with more confidence. I sell and I always play ( though most of what I sell is unplayed/New ...so leave that alone ).
    You won't get more money for offering this service, but you will gain a reputation for selling accurately graded Records...so you will make money in the long run.
    As for what to get , you need the most average TT and cart you can possibly find and make it a Used TT, so you can best replicate the average buyers playback equipment.
    My set up can play through LPs that look like they have been sat on Hermosa Beach for 20 years ! So I grade on a different set up. Get a used Project or Rega , with a very mid priced MM cart.

Happy selling ! Mail me your list if you want !

WhatDoIKnow and vconsumer like this.
  10. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

Buy a good enough turntable and you might not want to sell any! ;)

11. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I was going to add that to the bottom of my reply to this thread !

12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I *definitely* do not buy from sellers who advertise "VPI cleaned" (or some other method of cleaning) and do not specifically mention a play grade. I think many sellers buy dirty records in bulk, clean them and then try to pass them off as VG+ at minimum, without ever playing them. I want a record that looks nearly perfect *without* being put through a cleaning machine. And if it has been, I want a play grade.

Texado, Big Blue and vconsumer like this.
  13. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Selling vinyl is tough business, many buyers these days are overly obsessed with receiving perfect vinyl (unreasonable IMO). If OP selling a lot of collectible Lps he should be very concerned with potential hassle of returns and refunds. For that reason play grading would be recommended.

Texado and vconsumer like this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah sometimes somebody does a bad job cleaning and leaves residue in the grooves. They are noisier than before the cleaning. I agree, if it's so dirty it needs a wet cleaning, there's a good chance there's more problems like warps/groove damage. I've been pleased overall with the sellers on Discogs though. Most want to keep a high rating. A VG+ is as low as I go.

15. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I agree. I usually stick with Discogs. I won't go lower than VG or VG+ . I usually start at NM. If I want it bad enough I'll drop.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If it's not some mainstream classic rock album (or even if it is sometimes), you can search sealed original pressings. I like getting a brand new original pressing that isn't some reissue "remastered" from CD/digital. Most reissues are $25/$30 plus now anyway. I'd spend that or even a little more on sealed orig pressings. Just be careful the Mint LP's aren't reissues.

17. Pali Gap

Are we really complaining about sellers who take the time to clean their records? I'd be more worried about the sellers who can't be bothered.

18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

:confused:

19. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I'd agree with the LP-120 idea, manual direct drive (so easy to start and stop for spot checks), cheap, sellable, should get the job done. Also popular among many buyers. Stock cartridge may actually be better for this use than the 440, obviously not in performance but it should give you a pretty decent idea of what the average buyer will be using. Honestly though if you're going through the trouble of play grading you should really clean the records too, otherwise they're all going to grade under what they could be. Also minimizes the chance of transit damage, and impresses the buyer more (to me at least)! Still I think all of this should be reserved for LPs you can sell for a decent amount, generally not worth the effort low price titles.

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Or sellers who know well their clean looking copy has IGD, but it LOOKS NM so they sell as such.

21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What are you on about? The wires are cut down so they have 33pF total capacitance, which is exactly what you'd want for the OPs cart.

22. Pali Gap

...and they subject themselves to returns, refunds and potential negative feedback. Feedback is a powerful tool that usually ensures the buyer ends up happy one way or the other.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What difference does it make, if it was cleaned or not. The bottom line is how it sounds when played. Damaged grooves don't always show up upon visual inspection. I've gotten used records that were so dirty, there was no way of telling if the record was NM or G. I think play grade should be mandatory for records selling for over $30.00.

24. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I think you are confusing "pf" with "k" ... Also a friend of mine is an A-T enthusiast and he states around 150pf. I don't use them so I can't comment on that. It was just your original statement was incomplete. Thanks for clarifying.

25. Pali Gap

Of course it's a free world, no one is required to do anything when selling their items. People should wash their cars before selling them as well, but hey...
    If play grading is your requirement as a buyer, you simply avoid sellers who don't/won't/can't play grade.