Need advice on fully automatic TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

One fully auto table that flies under the radar is the MCS 6700. It was made by Panasonic and based on the Technics SL-1950 (same platter, motor, tonearm, etc.) with a few minor improvements. Like the SL-1950, it is also a changer. I don't have the multi-play spindles for mine, so I use it strictly as a single play machine.

Like most Panasonic/Technics table of this era, it is rock solid reliable, easy to maintain and service with a decent medium mass tonearm that works very well with a wide range of cartridges. In fact, it's my favorite table to experimenting with various new and vintage cartridges. Headshells, both new and used, are plentiful and affordable. Installing and setting up cartridges is a breeze. The only real complaint is no VTA. Since it is a changer, I run it with a second mat to get close to the proper VTA and then use headshell spacers, if necessary.

It's not my main table, but of all the tables I own, it gets the second most use. When giving dubious quality thrift store vinyl a first spin, I plop on an inexpensive Audio Technica AT3600L. When I want to rock the house with some classic or progressive rock, I go with a vintage Shure high output M31E. For more refined listening, it's a vintage Realistic R700E (Shure M75ED) with a NOS Ne95ED stylus. I keep these (and others) all mounted and properly aligned in headshells, so I can swap them in and out at a moments notice. Just re-balance the tonearm set the VTF and antiskate and start playing records.

[​IMG]

Not a high end table, but one that is fun, inexpensive and reliable

SandAndGlass and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.