Need Elvis Costello recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snowman, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassface

bassface Forum Resident

Some serious Elvis info here.

I've got the first 4 on original LPs. Am I missing a lot soncially if I don't get the newest remasters? (I know there's bonus material).
    Thanks!

2. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all your views. I managed to dload a few tracks from some of the titles recommended to give me an idea, those being his first three albums, Imperial, Get Happy, Blood and Chocolate and When I was Cruel.
    Get Happy stands out my favourite. Only have about half the songs, but wow they are terrific... brilliant tunes, brilliant music. Also, Imperial and Model.
    The one I don't get\least favourite is Blood and Chocolate... the songs seem to go on and on... well, I've hardly listened, plus I'm a Costello novice, so who knows.
    I can't believe Get Happy and King of America are OOP. Amazing! :(

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My favorite is "My Aim is True" ... pure Costello!

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"Blood and Chocolate" is a pretty pissed off record. :laugh: Of course I like it, but in measured doses.

"King of America" is scheduled for reissue on Rhino, the exact date is listed earlier in this thread. I hope it's a smoother sound than the tizzy Ryko. Never heard the original Columbia CD, but the Columbia LP sounds beautiful.

Dan C

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Depends.
    Usually the UK pressings are far superior to the US Columbia pressings. There are exceptions. IIRC, Tom Port recommends the Columbia "My Aim is True". All others he says go for the UK pressings.
    And I listed in the above post the US Columbia "King of America", but I haven't heard the UK pressing. Others here in the know say the Columbia is superior in this case as well.

In particular, the UK pressings of "This Year's Model" and "Armed Forces" are friggin' out of this world. Well worth hunting down.

Oh, one more thing! ;) I just picked up the Rhino of "Armed Forces" and I'm impressed. Hard to compare CD to LP, apples and oranges sort of thing, but it sound very nice indeed.

The other Rhino CDs I have so far are "Spike" and "Mighty Like a Rose", both worth the price just for the bonus material alone. "Spike" is much improved sonically over the original Warner CD, IMHO.

Whew!

Dan C

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, not really - they're just waiting to come out through Rhino's line. Not a huge deal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.