Need help on ELAC support reply

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vignus, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

I have a pair of ELAC 2 6.2 speakers, and asked their support how much toe-in they would recommend.
    This is the answer I got. Could someone help me decipher it, as I don't quite get what they meant?

"Dear Gianni,
    Yes, we recommend to toe the speakers in, in that way, that the thought lines of the speaker’s faces cross themselves 1 m behind the listening position."

I've tried goggle, but no joy.

Thanks!

2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Aim them so they ( imaginary lines pointing out from the drivers) cross a metre behind where you sit. Not sure if 'thought lines' was a spell check issue.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I don't think so. It's rather a direct translation from the German "gedachte Linie", which means an imagined line.

4. wolfram

What they mean ist that the speakers fronts shouldn't exactly face you at your listening position, like in this graphic:

[​IMG]

But your speakers should rather be positioned in a way, that the lines here don't meet at the listening position, but a bit behind it. If you look at your speakers from your listening position, you should not only see the fronts, but also a bit of the sides facing inwards.

Does this make any sense for you?

[Edited because graphic didn't show]

Dan Steele likes this.
  5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I have the same speakers and I estimate mine are about 20 degrees toed in. I also have them 20 inches out from the wall.

6. wolfram

Maybe this helps:

[​IMG]

myles, 33na3rd and hifisoup like this.
  7. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

Guys, thanks so much for the terrific help!

wolfram likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If you need a visual aide, put small mirror over the grill where the tweeters are. Use string, a non-residue tape, whatever you can come up with. Velcro may work on some grilles. Use adjust visually until you can see your face. Then remove the mirror and adjust with your ears. Or if you have the space behind your listening position. Move you body 1 meter behind your chair and adjust the mirror there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.