Need help picking a new turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Klapamos, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klapamos

Klapamos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I currently own a Rega Planar 1 and I'm looking to upgrade with a budget of ~$1000. I was thinking planar 3, but I've heard to many bad things about the elys 2. Others on this forum have promoted the planar 6, but I really don't want to drop 2 grand on a table. Suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Just buy the Planar 3 without a cartridge, or have a dealer install a different one.

jeff

3. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Thorens TD 209
    Funk Firm Gett
    Music Hall 5.1SE
    Marantz TT-15S1

4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Can you go used or no?

Many jump to the SL1200 type tables, its what Im looking to upgrade from my RP1.
    Better speeds, grounding, installation options and change of carts through the headshells.

Sterling1, mikeburns and mreeter like this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Bingo:cheers:

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The Planar 6 is recommended over the Planar 3 because replacing something the phenolic subplatter with a GrooveTracer would put it pretty close to price of the Planar 6. And as the Planar 6 includes the $400 Neo power supply, it's a bargain. But, you don't have get the Elys. You can install your choice of cartridges including the better regarded Exact. If budget can be stretched, I wouldn't recommend the Planar 3 to anyone. If you are constrained by budget and can only afford the Planar 3, get a replacement subplatter, get something like a Tango Spinner subplatter for about $100. Since you already own a Rega, I would recommend putting off the turntable purchase and ordering the Tango Spinner for the Planar 1, then when you recover savings for displaced money, get the Planar 3. You can transfer the subplatter to the new deck. I would recommend you have them include a 2nd ceramic ball bearing as it will be extremely hard to remove the one used in the Planar 1.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Klapamos

I have considered this as a potential option, any cart suggestions that would be easily installed and reliable?

9. Klapamos

The Rega 6 does appear to be a bargain compared to the 3. Maybe I’ll just wait and pick up the 6 in a year or two. I’ve only been into vinyl for about 18 months so waiting and reevaluating my interest could be the best option. Hifi Heaven has open box Rega 6 for under $1750 with exact cart.

10. No Sleep Till Download

No Sleep Till Download Forum Resident

Unless you’re set on a Rega look at the technics 1500c or the 1210mk7
    I demo’d the Rega 3 & 6 in the summer and wasn’t impressed but I can’t be entirely sure either were set up properly the guy in Sevenoaks Audio seemed to be a hipster spouting what he read from a sales sheet. I also put the x1 against the 1500c a couple of weeks back and bought the 1500c on the spot, I couldn’t better it for under £1000 and have spent many months looking.

Sterling1 and mikeburns like this.
  11. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

The VPI Player may be over your budget. But it includes an AT-VM95E cartridge and has built in phono stage and headphone amp.

12. Leonthepro

Depends. Worse quality carts are easier to install and better are more demanding. It all hinges on the stylus shape.
    But the sound of it hinges on the entire product.

13. Klapamos

Any thoughts on the Technics AT LP7? It's priced right, looks nice, has favorable reviews, and a good mid grade cart. Hifi heaven has a $640 open box deal atm.

14. Leonthepro

Look alright, but for that money Id rather just get a serviced LP1200.

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What are you expecting from an upgrade, assuming it's about performance and/or convenience? Seems some of the new Technics TT's out there might deliver in both arenas.

Leonthepro likes this.
  16. Klapamos

I'm mostly looking for improved mid range

17. Leonthepro

Just that? Then maybe you should focus more on a Cart, Phono stage or Speakers. Those would make the most difference in that regard.

Sterling1 likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, cart, phono stage, and/or speakers. OP, here's a suggestion: Nagaoka M110, Schiit Mani, and JBL Stage A170's. Get em all for about $950.

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

I have heard some claim the Mani isnt the best phono stage for people who like mid ranges. But I dont have one myself, even though Id like to try one. I might also suggest trying the MP 150 if possible, maybe skipping out speakers for it. Its the sweet spot for Nagaoka and you can upgrade to the 200 stylus from it unlike the 110. Then get some really expensive speakers further down to just so they dont have to be upgraded for a long time, maybe ever.

Sterling1 likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You can find used Marantz TT15S1 turntables for about $200 more. Or stretch your budget to $1400 and get a new one. Comes with a cart and is a fantastic unit, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.