Need help to choose speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Ronzo, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Ronzo

Big Ronzo New Member Thread Starter

Brand new member here looking for advice/instruction on a new system, equipment and set up. So far I have purchased a Rega P3, Exact cartridge (not installed) from Hong Kong, Schiit Mani preamp, Yamaha A-S501 amp. Still need speakers and wires for them. There are so many to choose from I'm starting to go nutty. System will be in a fairly large living room (about 24' x 16'). I'll be playing mostly LP's of 60's thru 80's artists not real loud. I may connect a CD player to it later. It won't be for home theater. I'm 67 years old with average hearing - can't hear anything above 13k. Don't know if that would be factor for speaker selection.

2. Big Ronzo

Forgot to add - want to spend up to $2000 for speakers. Wires ?????

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would look at Vandersteen 1Ci speakers. Probably the most forgiving speakers with more modest amplification. The work with just about anything. Well under your budget. Get the stands. You need the stands.

Solid mids and very good imaging. The just sound really good. Very well balanced considering the design.

Not sure what you asking about wire. Cables? Not sure. People have their own opinions. I buy decent ones. Nothing crazy expensive. Lower range AudioQuest work well on my system. Power cables are Pangea. See my profile for details. I like terminated speaker wires. Kimber Kable 4PR are pretty affordable.

paulieb00 and Morbius like this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Kimber Kable 4PR Speaker Cable :agree:

Morbius likes this.
  5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

This is all the wire you will ever need with your set up, depending on the length of the run, you possibly might wish to go with 12 gauge, but if the run is short, 14 gauge is just fine. There a MANY great wire deals through Amazon, here is just one for your consideration. Don't waste money on expensive wire, there is absolutely no need at all.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...&qid=1544079310&sr=8-13&keywords=speaker+wire

Ezd and csgreene like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Ronzy boy, you will get many answers each with an opinion of what the poster wants. If you can't audition speakers in stores, you would be wise to make sure you can audition them in your home with an easy return policy. I'm a fan of NHT speakers. Two grand will get you their floor standers. So now you have one more opinion. ;)

Oh, and wire? Depending on how long a run you're going to have, get 16,14, or 12 gauge from Monoprice and hook up the bare ends. Just one more opinion...

7. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Follow the above advice...
    Just purchase quality copper of appropriate gauge depending on the length between amp and speakers.

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have always appreciated a speakers that not only reproduce music accurately, but offer a beautiful finish, a nice pride of ownership speaker, anything but matte black, and several people on the forum have purchased the Ascend Sierra Towers with or without ribbon tweeters, it's a well made speaker system and just a real pleasure to look at, much like a much more expensive Aerial design. The dome tweeter comes standard and there is a mark up for their ribbon tweeter. In my opinion, the satin dark cherry is the finish to purchase. This speaker is a floor standing speaker and would be very well suited to your larger room, I believe it would be an excellent fit for your current electronics, and it is in the sweet spot of your budget, you need not look any further! They have a 15% Christmas discount going on many of their speakers and it does NOT appear the tower is one of them, but you can be sure, I would certainly ask for the discount, they will probably give it to you, never hurts to ask!!:righton:

[​IMG]

Sierra Tower Bamboo Loudspeaker

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Subagent likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Vandy 1Cis do pair quite well with the Yamaha amps, though they might struggle to fill that room and satisfy your volume needs if listening distance is beyond 10' or so. I experienced a bit of sibilance in the pair I owned - possible they just needed further break-in - otherwise I think they're a great value. I'd look for a used pair of 2ce Signatures for your space.

Revel Concerta2 F36s are also a good value.

10. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

You will get as many opinions on which speakers to buy as there are days in a year.

You NEED to go out and listen to a bunch and see what YOU like. It would be ideal to find a dealer that will let you take a pair home and listen in the room that they will be living in. Room acoustics are a HUGE factor in how a speaker will sound.

And YES a quality terminated speaker cable (wire) makes a very big difference in how they will sound. It is my opinion to stay away from the bulk roll stuff for $9.99 on Amazon, that is only good for powering lighting in your home.

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

If buying new, KEF LS50 + a sub.

Definitely check out the used market though. For $2k you can get some very excellent speakers. Older B&W 800 series come to mind. Check out Audiogon.

Auditioning is important if you can.

Wasabi likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Also check out the stereophile website for their list of recommended components.

13. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

That's a pretty large room, which means you may benefit from a set of sizable speakers, so as to be able to pressurize the room. I don't see how you can beat this set of Dali Helicon 800 for $1,900, aside from the fact that there is a spot of repaired cosmetic damage on them. With respect to your hearing, the hybrid dome/ribbon tweeter unit of the 800s might help with clarity. These are some serious speakers. BTW, no connection to the seller.

Dali Helicon 800 | Full-Range | Cypress, Texas 77429 | Audiogon

[​IMG]

14. Big Ronzo

Thanks everyone for all of the info. It will take me a while to investigate and digest. But please keep the suggestions coming. What about Klipsch floorstanding speakers? Is Monster Cable any good nowadays? Is it best to keep the speaker cable length to a minimum or doesn't matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.