Need Opinions Dynaco ST-70 QUICKLY!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sput, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam Thread Starter

Little over an hour to go on this amp. I'm ready for a good beginner tube amp that's plug and play so to speak.
    Is this the machine and what would you pay?

Near mint Vintage Dynaco Dyna St-70 tube power amp with over $300 in fully reversable Curcio Audio mod's. The driver board has been upgraded to the Curcio Audio PWB-3U, but this is very easily reversable, and the original fully functioning driver board & Dynaco 7199 tubes are included in the auction.
    The PWB-3U driver board is an all triode fully direct coupled design (cascode amplifier with split load phase splitter) that preserves the musical midrange of the stock ST-70 while significantly improving its bass tightness and high frequency extension over the stock board and dramatically increasing both stability and reliability. Accepts 6922, 6DJ8, 7308, 6FQ7/6CG7, and 6N1P.

The original Quad Cap (very troublesome on these) is fully functional and intact, but it has been bypassed to a Curcio Audio under chassis upgrade (ASM-S7U-B), again, fully reversable. This upgrade is a custom designed printed circuit board module that replaces the original Dynaco "Quad" electrolytic capacitor. Each version contains a composite of high quality capacitors to provide both higher voltage (to increase reliability) and greater capacitance (to improve performance) compared to the original. Rectification provisions for either solid state (diodes) or the original vacuum tube rectifier are included - your choice simply re-route two wires. These modules also include a complete bias supply including rectifier, filter caps, and associated resistors.

A new matched quad of Electro Harmonix 6AC7EH Big Bottle power tubes, and a NOS Amperex rectifier tube are also included, as well as the original manual, and cage (perfect condition, not shown).

Come on, you philes, give a ROOKIE some help.

Attached Files:

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Gary, I'd say "go for it", as long as the price doesn't get up too high. It looks nice, the caps are replaced, and while some here could probably tell you about the tubes, you can always replace those with other tubes to change the sound. Some of the modifications may take it a bit further away from how it sounded originally, but that's all subjective. (I'd probably like the improvements personally...it was already a good amplifier to begin with! :) )

I'd bid on this myself if I had the money. :) I have a Sony ES receiver for my bedroom system, but having tooobage up there would really make things sweet. ;)

3. -=Rudy=-

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Looks good to me. Like Rudy, if not too terribly much I'd go for it. Too bad Sckott's not on. IIRC this is what he runs.

5. -=Rudy=-

I know Sckotty has at least one ST70 and yep, he's ga-ga over it. :D

6. -=Rudy=-

Well....did ya get it? :confused:

7. boead

boead New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.