Need speaker recomendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have this Yamaha WXA-50 (55 WPC). Right now I have a vintage set of Infinity Crescendo CS-3007 floorstanders connected to it. I'm not loving the presentation. It's simultaneously very fussy, boxy and mushy sounding. The soundstage just doesn't seem to be imaging properly. And yes, I've been moving them around for several months now. I live in an apartment. I suspect that my listening level is just too low to fluff out this speaker properly. I'm considering pairing the amp with a newer Klipsch set. My budget is $1K/pr max. Suggestions?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

3. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Lenny99 likes this.
  4. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

The Infinity Crescendo CS-3007 needs a lot of power to sound right, and a 4.3-lb amp is not going to do the job no matter the stated WPC. Assuming they are in good working condition, you'll probably need to spend above $1000 to equal the Infinty's quality, and even then, your Yamaha amp's power might be problematic; you're asking it to do something it was not designed to do. I think it was designed primarily as a one-box solution for multiroom listening with self-powered speakers. I don't follow that type of speaker, but the word here is that some are very good.

It would be nice to keep your Yamaha Music Cast amp as it is remarkably feature-rich, so I don't think that buying another amp makes as much sense as looking for some excellent powered speakers within your budget.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if it might be possible to run the Yamaha Music Cast through one of the Yamaha AS-series integrated amps in the $500 range. That would allow you to keep your Infinity's. You'd have to check the manuals to see if that's possible, however. If so, I think that's an ideal solution.

5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Klipsch with bronze drivers are terrible if you ask me, tonality is screwed.
    Klipsch then look for the originals.
    But loudspeakers are very personal and nobody but yourself can go listen to form your opinion.

Mikeybc and bgiliberti like this.
  6. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

Want non-boxy and crystal clear sound? MAGNEPAN LRS.

7. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I don’t think he asked you. ;)

But I agree with the streaming amp he has, I don’t think it would be a good match.

jonwoody, bgiliberti and izeek like this.
  8. Atmospheric

I'm thinking something like this might be the right solution. It's a very tight listening space: source is 6' away, room width is 10'. Also, given it's an apartment, listening levels need to remain modest. I could always reposition/reuse this system.

Do you have personal experience with these speakers?

9. Atmospheric

Actually, the preamp out to support powered speakers is not so good. I tried a set of Adam powered monitors and there was a lot of audible distortion. I do want to keep the Yamaha box, and I'm not seeking perfection... pretty good would be just fine. Even with more power, I doubt that I can ever crank the Infinitys loud enough for them to sound right. Also, the rear port seems really fussy.

10. bgiliberti

Are you familiar with Klipsch? They have a rock-oriented sound. I love 'em, but not for everything.

Audiobliss@67 likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

55WPC enough to do that? If yes, I find that surprising. I thought planar speakers were power hogs.

12. Atmospheric

Not too familiar. I have auditioned a few sets over the years. I do like that sound.

I may swing by the local Best Buy, which carries Klipsch, and see what I think.

bgiliberti likes this.
  13. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I've had a few klipsch before but not this model, however it is well reviewed and many klipsch fans really favor this over many others.

but I do think a large stand mount with an 8 inch front ported or down ported is very ideal in an apartment setting somewhat near field.

you could look at also the monitor bronze I think...problem comes when keeping it with the 55wpc limit in finding a sensitive speaker.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. DaveWin

DaveWin Parasound fan boy extraordinaire.

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2

15. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I know you'll get a lot of recommendations and I believe you should consider all. However, I don't think you can wrong with Klipsch speakers.

Atmospheric likes this.
  16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I love my Klispch RP160Ms, but as you wrote this comes down to a personal decision.

17. __Patrick__

Magnepans like high current amplification, which often comes with expensive hi wattage amplification. You say you are in an apartment and do not listen loud.

I’ve run my 1.7s with two different 40 watt integrated amps and both drove them plenty loud for me (and that was in a large room).

Magnepans are not for super LOUD or bass freaks (unless one puts a pair of subs with them).

Boltman92124 and Atmospheric like this.
  18. bgiliberti

Respectfully, I think Klipsch is not great at all for classical, vocal, and most acoustic, including rock with substantial acoustic content. That said, I would love to own a pair of Fortes if I had the room, but it would be primarily for rock and jazz instrumentals.

19. SpiderJohn

SpiderJohn Pronouns? I don't need no stinking pronouns

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

On a 55 wpc Yamaha? No.

BluTorch and bgiliberti like this.
  21. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Probably depends more on whether the 55wpc is for 8ohms, and whether it doubles at 4ohm (i.e., it’s about the current).

22. __Patrick__

Yes, Magnepans really do benefit from good amplification. I'm not familiar with OP's Yamaha. If OP has a Magnepan dealer nearby, bring the Yamaha down to the dealer and hook it up to see how it does...
    Many Maggie owners spend more on amplification than the speakers.

Magnepan used to offer 60 day home trial period, not sure if it still does.
    Magnepan

23. bgiliberti

That ain't gonna' happen at any Maggie dealer I know of, except for laughs.

Atmospheric likes this.
  24. Atmospheric

Hey, really stupid follow on question... I'm thinking that I will probably go with Klipsch. I like the efficiency and the Klipsch sound. But if I buy bookshelfs, I need stands. Just from a cost perspective, it seems that floorstanders might be a better value strictly from a cost perspective. Or maybe it's a push. Again, pretty modest listening levels at almost nearfield distance. Thoughts?

25. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Heresy's? I believe they come with stands, but could be wrong. Actually, my RP600M's sound pretty good at low/moderate spl's, and you can get cheap Monoprice stands.

BluTorch and Atmospheric like this.