Need speaker recomendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Carolina Blues

Carolina Blues Forum Resident

Well to be fair, maybe Klipsch will ship you a box full of loose parts too. Did you even ask? :)

bgiliberti and Atmospheric like this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

No glue or workbench needed if you order the kit with the nicely finished cabinets. Even a troglodyte could assemble them in less than an hour.

SB Acoustics provides OEM drivers for many high-end speakers and their off-shelf drivers tend to outperform competitor’s drivers at 2 and 3X the price. That ceramic tweeter is as good as some tweeters retailing for $300 each. The founder of SB is an ex Scanspeak engineer.

Atmospheric and SpiderJohn like this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I wouldn't worry about your amp. Best to get the best speaker to your ears and worry about the amp after.

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Funny you mentioned this as I just saw an ad from Music Direct offering in home speaker trials. Might be a re-stocking fee I guess. It did say risk free though.

5. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I'm not sure what a troglodyte is but I think I might be one.

Also, either MD or Crutchfield has a feature where you can listen to different speakers on your headphones. I've never tried it, and you'd need a good set of headphones I would think. Has anybody tried this?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Boltman92124 likes this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

MD specifically is offering in home on the Wharfdale Denton 80th in the ad I saw. Not sure about other models but it's a good way to sell speakers! It's called the "boat anchor" sales approach, or contingency sale. Price is agreed upon, sales order signed. Return optional. Customer benefits too with in home audition.

bgiliberti likes this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tried the Crutchfield app. Meh. It showed me something. Better than nothing, but not much.

bgiliberti likes this.
  8. Atmospheric

I ended up scoring a mint pair of these off craigslist for $325. The guy also had a pair of Wharfdales (not for sale), which I got to demo as well. While the Klipsch's weren't in the same league as the Wharfdales, they more than held their own for 1/6 the money. I brought them home and ran them through my reference playlist. Yeah. This dog will hunt. I may add a sub, but no hurry for the moment. This set pairs really well with the Yamaha box. The Yamaha adaptive EQ is just much more musical with these speakers.

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. Hard to imagine doing any better for the money I spent.

timind, SpiderJohn and ChefBrunch like this.
  9. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

can you go visit any dealers in your area? it might be a good idea to hear a lot of speakers so you find a sound you like. all speakers are just a different shade of vanilla ice cream ... but some taste better then other :)

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Depending on how old those Infinity speakers are, they might need to be re-foamed. Weak/failing foam surrounds will result in a weaker bass sound like you describe. You can EQ the bass and make it sound better but it's just a bandaid on a wound that won't heal. And while I've not heard of Infinity speakers having this problem, the crossovers may need re-capping too.

bgiliberti likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

They were completely refurbished before I bought them.

12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Did you check to see that the re-foaming was done correctly? I've seen bad re-foaming work where the person did not center the cone in the middle of the throw and instead glued the new surround with the woofer cone at the bottom. The woofer worked, but had very limited throw and resulted in rather crappy bass. It's tricky to shim some cones so that it's centered over the voice coil and is in the middle or maybe a bit towards the bottom of the throw.

bgiliberti likes this.
  13. Atmospheric

I gotta share… the more I mucked with things, the worse it kept sounding. Almost complete loss of bass, really nasally forward mids. I’m thinking either the equipment has a serious problem or my ears do.

I just got back from urgent care… ear infection with fluid buildup in both ears. Whew… I was just hoping I wasn’t having a stroke.

14. Atmospheric

UPDATE: pairing the Klipsch RB81-2 large bookshelf set with the Yamaha WXA-50 just isn't working out. It's possibly the least forgiving system I've ever experienced. Well recorded stuff does indeed sound fantastic. But anything less than stellar recording quality sounds like ass. Shockingly so. As in everything sounds wrong. I did try adding a subwoofer. I tried integrating it for the better part of three days, but there was always be some weird crossover artifact that I couldn't deal with. I reminded me in a big way why I hate subs. I had slightly better results tweaking the EQ with the Mac Music software EQ app. But ultimately, I just wasn't digging the fact that half my music just sounded terrible on this system.

So yesterday I visited my local Hi-Fi shop, which happens to be a Magnepan dealer. First, I decided to upgrade the amp to a Marantz PM7000N. Definitely an audible improvement no matter what speaker I connect to it. I'm pretty disappointed in the Yamaha amp overall.

Along with the new amp, I took a used pair of Magnepan LRSs home with me. I like them overall, but they do sound a bit austere in the bass and the top end seems a tad rolled off. But still musical. I'm going to return them and go all-in on a new pair of LRS+. This review pretty much convinced me that ponying up the extra dinero is worth it. Magnepan LRS+ Review - The Absolute Sound . I did hear the LSR+s in the showroom. The store has a boxed set of LRS+s in stock. So I'm going to do the swap tomorrow.

So all in for ~$2,300 ain't so bad. I'd have been way ahead if I'd just done that a year ago. But hey... the price of acquiring knowledge. Honestly, after a week of futzing with the Klipschs, I would've dropped $5K to make the problem go away. So I got out cheap ;-)

The LSRs sound decent in my room. I'm sure the LSR+s will sound even better. The system scales decently well at various volume levels. There definitely is a level at which the system really comes alive. Sadly, that's a bit louder than I can probably play it given the neighbor situation. I think this is probably the best I can do for the time being.

Thanks again for all the great input, especially you Magnepan guys.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    bever70 and __Patrick__ like this.
  15. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I would of stuck with the klipsch and fixed bad recording sources or a different source.

like a warm smooth cheap CD player or dac or just a low power warm amp or tube amp.

But it is true a too revealing setup will eeek out all the problems.

Now you got big fish to fry with magnapan sized problems. But it will be fun. The Maggie folks always seem like they are tweaking things.

Set up the klipsch in a spare room and try to pair it with an old 1-bit dac CD player.

16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I always say u can't go wrong with Klispch.

17. Atmospheric

And yet I managed to. I guess my mom was right... I am special.

bever70 likes this.
  18. ChefBrunch

You weren't wrong with klipsch, your music is wrong for klipsch. But like anything I think you could of fixed it with a different amp or front end.

Not a big fan of computer driven sound.

19. Atmospheric

I think I might be a Magnepan convert. Listening to my "Mellow" playlist. Simon & Garfunkel "Scarborough Fair" sounds spectacular. I love the seamlessness of the experience. No crossover artifacts AT ALL. It's blowing my mind. I swap the LRS v1 for the LRS+ tomorrow. A bit more low frequency extension and smoother upper mids. Wow. Just wow.

bever70 and __Patrick__ like this.
  20. Atmospheric

I dunno... your suggestion seems like the tail wagging the dog. Something I am unwilling to do. But thanks for participating.

__Patrick__ and bever70 like this.
  21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Yes you can :laugh::hide:!

Glmoneydawg and __Patrick__ like this.
  22. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You are right! Never listen to anyone saying 'your music is wrong for...'.

Glmoneydawg and Atmospheric like this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

They only get better with the more power you feed them, power along with current. With enough class AB juice (like 400 WpC/4-ohm), they transform to almost different animals entirely. I’ve yet to experience any other speaker type react so dramatically to increases in power.

Atmospheric likes this.
  24. ChefBrunch

I guess if you want to lower the quality of better recordings so you can tolerate your poorly recorded music choices....

I like to choose a smoother delivery vs. Changing the speakers..I like the too revealing for the better recordings to sound better..

25. Atmospheric

On top of that, Mr. Know It All makes a whole bunch of assumptions about the quality of my source material, which is impeccable. But if something is recorded badly in the first place, what can you do? My ignore list just got bigger.

Joshua Tree, bever70 and Glmoneydawg like this.