Need suggestions for an SACD/DVD player under $800

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tone ded freb, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I can get a demo unit here in Canada for $1100 US taxes included. Full warranty from a reputable dealer.

It lists for $1500 U.S. plus taxes in Canada.

Hmm. Maybe I'll do some more checking.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I hope DVD-V is not that important. The 9000 has much better sound.

3. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member Thread Starter

DVD-V is a non-issue for me. The only reason the machine needs DVD is so that I can play DADs.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Take a look at the Sony 'S9000ES if you can find one in good condition. It is an awesome machine in terms of build and sound quality. If you want a new player, look at the Sony 'NS999ES, Denon '2900, and Marantz '6400.

5. tone ded freb

That's where I'm setting my sights right now. Just a matter of time before I see the right machine at the right price.

6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

You don't plan to go MCH in the future?

7. tone ded freb

I may experiment with it a few years from now, but I don't plan on pursuing it any time soon. I just received my first ever set of speakers last night, so I have plenty of time to just appreciate stereo before I need to go beyond that, if I ever do. I do have the Sony SCD-C222ES, which is multichannel capable. I've only used it for stereo through headphones. Once I listened to the multichannel layer of DSOTM through headphones just to hear the greater resolution of the tapes used for the mch layer. At least at this point, to me multichannel seems like an unnecessary complication, which I guess is maybe how some people viewed stereo at first. So, I plan on keeping it simple as long I enjoy it and then if I get bored with simple, I'll try multichannel.

8. tone ded freb

Well, I saw what looks to be just the DVP-S9000ES I was looking for just now, so I grabbed it. :righton: Looks to be in mint condition, shipping is included in the price, and the seller tells me it comes with the original sales receipt. I'm gleefully descending deeper and deeper into el audiophile infierno. :angel:

Anybody have any idea how noticeable the difference will be on CD or SACD from my stock Sony SCD-C222ES changer, or if not, has anyone compared the 9000ES to the C555ES changer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.