need tips on Toronto cd- vinyl shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by barzzz, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will be in Toronto Monday, for the Donald Fagan show, and would like to know if there are any good vinyl-cd shops to check out.

2. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

Here are a few that were listed in Now Magazine's Annual Best Of Toronto issue.

best used record store
    Ric Collectibles

Yes, at the corner of Main and Gerrard Ric's is a bit off the beaten track, but that's a big reason why it's now the best place in the city to score cool second-hand vinyl. With little daily pedestrian traffic, Ric doesn't get great records by sitting on his *** hoping they'll appear; he actively seeks them out. And as long as he keeps digging up those obscure treasures and stickering them well below eBay prices, sussed vinyl addicts like DJ Cliffy and Matt Dillon will keep coming back for more. 155 Main, 416-690-6399

best record store
    Rotate This

So what if HMV is the biggest and has a one-way escalator? Rotate This boasts an infinitely hipper selection of hiphop, jazz, funk, reggae, punk and electronic music and a switched-on staff. Perhaps most important of all, Rotate This regularly stocks those great independent recordings by important artists that you won't find at the big chain stores. Remember that when you're looking for the great new Broken Social Scene disc. 620 Queen West, 416-504-8447

best record store for pretending you're in the movie High Fidelity
    Soundscapes

With its tasteful top-10 lists hanging on the walls and exceptionally cool and diverse CD selection, you almost expect to see John Cusack behind the counter. The comfortable vibe and of-the-moment soundtrack are great, and the nifty new rolling wood shelves are an added architectural bonus. Plus they have awesome in-store performances (Badly Drawn Boy packed 'em in recently) and a knowledgeable staff who can give you the scoop on what's goin' on beneath the musical radar. 572 College, 416-537-1620

There's also...

Cosmos Records
    607A Queen St. W

One of the most amazing collections of rare jazz, funk, soul, brazilian, latin, disco, and hip hop I've ever seen. This is a collectors wet dream. Prices are really fair...there are cheaper bin below where you can find great soul, funk, and jazz from $4-12. The rare records begin at $18.99 and go up to $600 CAN. I say the prices are fair because the $600 record I saw there went for $700 US on Ebay last month. That's a $256 cheaper if you think about it. Anyhow, if you can't wait 10-15 years to find that rare groove record you've been looking for....this is the place to be. Staff are very friendly and knowledgable..........visit next time you're in toronto

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

None. There are none here. Zero, zilch, nada. :p

Try Vortex, Yonge slightly north of Eglinton. Or even Sonic Temple on Yonge north of Sheppard.

You'll need lots of time, parking money and a car! Drive carefully!

4. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

Has Edward's (north of Eglinton) closed?

5. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Down for the count, I'm afraid.

Brian

6. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

alrighty then...Didn't they (Edward's) have another store, under another name, on Yonge, west side of the street, south of Bloor....is it gone, too? :confused:

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sad. I picked up my DCC Cream there..... :(

I don't know about the other store(s).

8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Sonic Temple is a great store, nice guys working there. I used to do business with them before I moved north in 2001.

:winkgrin:

Yep, threads like this make me territorial....growl, bark, woof...think I'm gonna go pee on my favourite store for emphasis.

9. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you. Don't worry, after last week's classified buys, I don't have much left to deplete the Toronto rare lp and cd stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.