Negative experiences on Hoffman marketplace *

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by karmapolice, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If someone does not post feedback or PM after a period of time I check their ratings to see if they have been leaving feedback for any transactions. A lot of people do not leave feedback either way.

Personally a PM saying the buyer received the product is as good as a feeback rating to me. As long as I know the music is now in the hands of the buyer and he/she is satisfied I can move on. Feedback would be the quickest option, no doubt.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm lucky that I've received nothing but positive experience.

Darryl

3. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I made the mistake of purchasing an item via SHF but slightly outside of the proper trading space. This is a very well respected member here. The person had purchased an item for sale at SHF that I was also interested in purchasing. The person then stated in the same thread that they no longer needed their old copy of the said disc. He said it was in very good condition and the disc was for sale. I PM'd him regarding the disc even though it wasn't a formal FS thread. He was willing to let it go for what I thought was a decent price.

When the disc arrived it smelled terribly of tobacco smoke and the inside cover was very worn, it had an imprint of a glass beer bottle on it and it also had a pin prick hold that looked like it was used to hang the cover by a string for some reason. I was very disappointed with the disc and thought the person should have had the heart to tell me truly how bad the disc was and he shouldn't have sold it for that price.

Lesson learned. Even in an honest SHF FS posting I would never purchase from the person again. Never make a purchase outside of the constructs of SHF marketplace. Always expect or demand a picture of the actual item. Leave negative feedback if warranted. I could care less about the feedback hostage game. Sellers know inside if they are being honest or not. Not leaving warranted negative feedback does not help anyone.

4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

It goes both ways. I have a buyer who owes me money from a sale in February, used to be around here all the time, and one day just up and split. As Frankie said: "That's Life"

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

When I check the "feedback left for others" in the profiles of the members who complain about transactions gone bad here, I hardly see any negatives left for sellers.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Me too - never had a bad experience with a seller here...

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Exactly what I was thinking.
    If the buyer & seller are happy,
    feedback becomes only an option.
    I always leave fb for the seller.
    I figure it helps let other buyers know
    what kind of a seller they are.

Darryl

8. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I will hold my hands up to that Hans as I haven't done so but you have to remember unlike ebay this place is almost like a friends forum so it is not that easy to leave **** feedback for the seller sometimes. On the whole my transactions on here have been great.

9. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

I've only had one. Paid for the LP, but it never came. All attempts at communication were ignored. Awesome.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wouldn't call that awesome...

11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Now that Barry mentioned it, I've had a couple such PMs. That works for me, too.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've only done one Marketplace transaction here, but I can say that to a newcomer the feedback system here is somewhat obscure, the instructions are hard to find, and I didn't even know it was there at first because it's not called feedback but like Itrader or something. I know I'm supposed to read all the sticky threads, but I :hide: don't. A single doc clearly labelled may be in order.

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I agree. The iTrader system here is not a very simple feedback system to master. I've not left feedback for several purchases over the past few months simply because I'm a bit of a procrastinator. By the time I sit down to leave a few, I've forgotten the procedure and end up having to search for the original thread in order to get the URL to copy, etc. At that point I usually get sidetracked, move onto something else, and forget all about it again for weeks.

A more straightforward procedure would be helpful, but I don't see how to implement fewer steps with the current system. It is what it is.

For anyone I still owe a feedback post for, please PM me and let's swap them and get up to date. :wave:

14. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

Neither would I. I always forget that sarcasm doesn't really work on the internet.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe with a smiley ;)

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

One thing that would help is to copy and paste from the address bar the current "for sale" thread and add it to your PM when contacting the seller. They will most likely reply, quoting your original, and you won't have to search much - just check your PM inbox.

It would be nice if a PM would contain a link to the current thread when you PM in that way.

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:agree:

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sarcasm is why the ":rolleyes:" emoticon was invented...

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

if someone has a pile of good feedback it is less important to add anither one each time cos their credibility is established.

I have bought 2 or 3 times on here and have had no feedback left so future sellers/buyers don't have any guide.

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I wished it worked that way but sadly it doesn't. You are just as likely to get ripped off by someone on 10,000 100% feedback as 1 100% feedback. Feedback is the only system you have of expressing you displeasure or otherwise.

21. why you didn't leave a negative FB? it was your duty to warn the others

22. electric man

electric man Member

I have made two purchases in the marketplace and one through PM and all three worked out great. Now two attempts to purchase vinyl pressing of Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland on Ebay have both ended in disappointment. I'll stick with the buyers I trust in the marketplace. It's too bad there are a few people who take advantage of good people, but this will not stop me from having good transactions with the people I trust.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I like doing business in the classifieds here. My experience has been overwhelmingly good. I have had one negative experience with a buyer who had an issue with a CD I sent him. Before even contacting me he filed a claim with Paypal which caused my account to be locked up until the "dispute" was resolved. It was like dude, just give me a shout and you have a refund. if he or anyone else wasn't happy with something I sent we don't have a problem. You get your money back, period. It was a classic case of overreaction.

Fortunately that has been my only experience of that type. There are tons of good people here and I have gotten totally positive feedback and totally positive experiences, save the one.

24. xman

xman Active Member

My Bad. It was 1 1/2 years ago. Here is the picture. SACD of Come Dancing - Kinks and it was a Cutout to boot with no mention of it. Would you like a N/M disc like this?

Attached Files:

25. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

totally agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.