Neil Diamond 50 - The 50th Anniversary Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by transistoroldies, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I have "In My Lifetime" box set and I like the sound quality...

2. Paul Berney

Paul Berney Free thinker. Free man.

Neil Diamond is one of the greatest artists in music. Both as a singer and songwriter. Recording wonderful music for 6 decades now. And yet, although this box set is clearly being marketed as "Career spanning", it most clearly is not. While his major hits are presented here, there is a gap of 15 years worth of beautiful noise being completely snubbed, yet again. While the 20+ year-old box set 'In My Lifetime' did a dazzling job at showcasing this important man and his music, living up to the career spanning title, no compilation since has made any effort to do so. As is the case here. Not so long ago, after his move to Capitol, Neil saw two compilations be released... 'All-Time Greatest Hits', a stunning one CD album focused on his 60s/70s material and including 3 songs from 1980's 'The Jazz Singer'. Then a deluxe 2-disc album came along, which covered 60s/70s and the first 2 years of the 1980s, then suddenly leap frogs from 1982 all the way up to 2005, in effect snubbing a major section of Neil's career. Every album after 1982 up to 2005 completely ignored. 6 studio albums of orginal material, 2 glorious Christmas albums, 2 cover albums, a career box set featuring unreleased early singles, a live album and live box set. All of that wonderful catalogue suddenly deemed unworthy of inclusion. And for the most part, it has happened here yet again.

While 'In My Lifetime' celebrated his then 30th anniversary since his first album and was completely career spanning and brilliantly put together, this new set celebrating his 50th anniversary attempts to do nothing similar. No unreleased material, no new songs, and still leaving a gap of around 15 years in his catalogue. Nothing from 'Primitive' up to 'Tennessee Moon' (And also ignoring his popular movie album 'As Time Goes By'), which for me personally ignores the best music of his career. While I can't deny the classics are all here and accounted for, as a music lover and longtime fan of Neil Diamond, I have a top 5 list of his albums, a list I regard as his best albums... 'Headed For The Future', 'The Best Years Of Our Lives', 'Lovescape', 'Tennessee Moon' and 'Heartlight'. While critics have their faves, as do fans and Neil himself, I believe those albums to be Neil Diamond at his very best. And yet of those 5 albums, 2 songs are placed on this new collection. Much of the 80s output has been ignored, and not one single recording from the entire decade of the 90s has made it here. It breaks my heart to see gorgeous tracks from the 80s and 90s like 'All I Really Need Is You', 'Hooked On The Memory Of You' and 'This Time' left out, as well as the many beautiful ballads from 'Tennessee Moon' (Such as 'Win The World' and the incredible Rosemary Butler duet 'Like You Do') ignored. Considering Neil himself oversaw this collection, I'm surprised he left out such a large portion of his music, while celebrating such a milestone.

On top of all of this, 'All-Time Greatest Hits' (Deluxe Edition) features 42 songs on 2 CDs, and yet this 3 CD collection features 50 songs? 8 songs more considering the inclusion of a whole disc? So many incredible Neil songs screaming out for notice, such as the ones I mentioned, as well as many other classics such as 'Headed For The Future', 'Dry Your Eyes' (Famous for 'The Last Waltz'), 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother', his legendary version of the Beach Boys' classic 'God Only Knows', 'The Boat That I Row' etc... And then there's many more of my person favourites that I feel are some the best tracks he's ever recorded, like 'Songs Of Life', 'The Drifter', 'In Ensenada', 'I'm Glad You're Here With Me Tonight', 'First You Have To Say You Love Me', 'The Shelter Of Your Arms', 'Gift Of Song' etc... Even other great cover versions like 'Both Sides Now', 'Until It's Time For You To Go, 'If You Go Away' etc... And of course one of his more recent masterpieces, 'You Are The Best Part Of Me'. Neil has a wealth of music that has never been matched. The sheer volume of output is astounding. But alas, with a CD set featuring 3 CDs, easily capable of holding 65-66 Neil tracks, we're presented with a non-career spanning collection yet again, an album which could have run for 4 hours but instead runs for less than 3 hours. Where this violently fantastic artist is now clearly worthy of a 4-CD collection, he is once again forced to settle for a 3 CD set, which features 21 less tracks than the magnifcent 'In My Lifetime'. No rarities, no new recordings and no attempt to delve into that spectacular collection of album tracks. It's upsetting.

While I'm in no doubt that this album is still well worthy of purchase, and is the best physical compilation of Neil on the market right now (Sadly, 'In My Lifetime' has now been made a download-only album, unlikely to be physically released again), I can't help but wish for more. Neil Diamond is a staggering legend in the history of music, and he's still very much in demand. But with a lavish deal cut with Capitol Records, I'm surprised at how his catalogue is being handled. A selection of his respected albums physically reissued under the new banner (With the rest horribly cast aside, available for download only, along with his beautiful past box set), albums that were already readily available under Sony, and 3 compilations? As well as a studio album and new Christmas album? If it were me with any say of Neil's releases, a 4-CD collection would be on the market which covers his whole career and includes at least one new exclusive track and some rare gems (The B-side to 'Heartlight in 1982 is a song called 'You Don't Know Me', which has never been released outside of that single, and is in my opinion one of the greatest songs ever performed by Neil Diamond!), along with physical issues of every studio album he's ever released and his 'In My Lifetime' set, while also giving his movie 'The Jazz Singer' the love it deserves, with a new remastered Blu-ray and DVD. Side projects would also be the order of the day, such as a great 2 CD collection of his fantastic Christmas recordings, along with a DVD of his magnificent Christmas TV special from 1992. Neil Diamond right now is an untapped resource, a man with an incredible back catalogue of music, a vault full of unreleased songs and concerts, and a series of beloved TV specials which garnered him awards and new fans. Someone at Capitol needs to understand how important this man is, and the serious money that could be made from his career. A couple of compilations and a studio album just won't cut it. And the whole download gimmick appeals only to new audiences, older fans still know the importance of actually owning a vinyl record or CD, and rejoice in the physical splendor of a box set. Someone is doing wrong by Neil Diamond, and also doing wrong by his fans.

Matthew Tate, siveld, JayNYC and 11 others like this.
  3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have been listening to this via Amazon streaming and while I cannot comment on sound quality in a HiFi or speakers in general I can say the music sounds great on my Sony earbuds! I hear separation of instrumentation and other sounds hidden that I don't believe I have heard before. It has me excited to see Neil next month!

Paul Berney likes this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I bought the CD set this weekend as a birthday gift to myself. I could not find it in Best Buy, Target, and the Barnes and Noble wanted full price. I found it at Walmart for $19 and some change which seemed more than a fair price.

As I have said I am not an audiophile but I do like the music to sound good. Listening in my wife's car and then this morning in mine I think overall it sounds very good. There seems to my ears more bass and fullness that was missing from the Bang release which sounded very high and tinny (if that's a word to use). Is it perfect? I don't know if I can say that but I am enjoying it, especially the first disc. My only complaint is how the third disc jumps around in order. I wish the songs would have stayed in order of release. And, even though he didn't write it, "He Ain't Heavy" I wish was included. But regardless I am enjoying this a lot!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, after hearing the results of the new 3-CD "50" set, I can say without a doubt, that Bernie Becker is THE worst thing to ever happen to the Neil Diamond catalog. Yes, sadly, Bernie is back for yet another butchering remastering job, on this classic set of recordings. It all starts off with the STEREO version of "Solitary Man", which is night and day different than the original BANG "hit" single version, that most of us know and love. Now, I can't totally blame Bernie for using that version, as it clearly states in the booklet that it was Neil himself, who handpicked the songs and their order. After "Solitary Man", it is like a roller coaster of MONO mixed with STEREO tracks through the BANG years material (and no, nothing presented in MONO sounds any better than they did on Bernie's "Bang Years" CD. In fact, I can'y for the life of me even figure out what Bernie used as a source for "Kentucky Woman", but it sounds like an ocean at the beginning and as if it is a copy of a copy of a copy of whatever he used?

Oh but wait, there's more ... Bernie completely cuts off the opening of "Yesterday's Songs" and it just quickly fades in about so many seconds into the song! Jesus, did ANYBODY audition this sonic mess before it got released to the public?

I've said this before on this forum, but few want to hear me out, but, when it comes to those old Neil Diamond BANG singles, along with a majority of other old original mono single mixes by most other '60's artists, "compression can be a good thing"! These recordings as presented, sound to me, about as flat as a pancake and they desperately need some sort of compression added to them on CD, just like they used to get when they came pouring out of our old AM radios, back in the day. Now, I'm a radio personality so I know a thing or two about "compression" and believe me, these old recordings need a touch of it to make them "boom" again, otherwise, they all sound like XM/Sirius sounds, with the top and bottom ends cut off and not much left but a bunch of mid-range, which in my book, equals crap!

Futurecity likes this.
  6. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, when did this "Bernie" character start working on Diamond's catalogue and what needs avoiding. I got a download of the Complete UNI from Qobuz only because it was on something like a 50% discount code as I try to avoid downloads. I can only find "The Bang Years" on 180g vinyl.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Neil deserves the BIG BOX SET treatment. Get all his labels together, dig out his songwriting demos, do something that acknowledges him as the great songsriter he is.

g.z., Matthew Tate, Galley and 5 others like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Agreed, how about the Dylan treatment like with Dylan got with the Columbia box set that's what Diamond deserves big time I agree totally.

:edthumbs:

9. Chris C

Here is the rare version of "Solitary Man", that is found on the new 3-CD "50" set. Note it has extra guitar parts in the opening verses and female backup singers during the chorus.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The only thing I like on this set is the way "Longfellow Serenade" sounds. Finally, it sounds like it did on the radio back in 1974. If I could buy the songs individually, that's what i'd get. Otherwise, I have everything I need on either the "Bang Years" CD and the "In My Lifetime" boxed set.

11. Chris C

Grant, if I'm not mistaken, the exact same version of "Longfellow" was also used on the recent "All Time Greatest Hits" set?

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I compared the sound on HD tracks, and what I have in my collection, and there is a clear difference in the mix, or the tape that was used for the new comp. The new appearance of this song on this comp suddenly brought back the same sound and feeling I had in late 1974.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

To me it still sounds good but like I stated above I am not an audiophile. Is it perfect? No, but it gets me in the mood to see Neil at the end if the month!

14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Can be found on the 1974 2x12 Double Gold as well. Nice to see a disc appearance :cheers:

Grant likes this.
  15. Chris C

I have "Double Gold" on LP, but I have to be honest and say that when I first hear that "different" version of the song on this new "50" set, it did bring back some old memories, but I couldn't remember just "where" I heard that version. And, I agree that it is a pleasant surprise to finally have it on CD.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

That's the stereo mix that was originally issued on the Frog King Early Classics LP, and later on Columbia's Classics: The Early Years on LP, cassette, and CD.

Here's the stereo mix from my copy of Double Gold. Notice the lack of electric guitar in the first verse, and Neil's vocals are not doubled in the chorus.

Neil Diamond - Solitary Man (Bang Stereo Mix)

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Chris C

Thanks for the info! I never realized that there were so many different mixes of "Solitary Man". For the record, I have that "Early Years" CD on Columbia and while it has "stereo" mixes of the songs, I like the sound on most of the songs on that one!

18. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

The number of mixes will make your head spin. This website hasn't been updated in years, but gives you a general idea of how many different mixes were done of the Bang material.

Neil Diamond on Bang Records

19. Chris C

YOWSAH!!!!

20. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Coming out of longtime lurkdom to suggest that y'all might want to take a listen to the now ancient Neil Diamond Gold (Live at The Troubadour) album. Dates back to 1970, so the hits were still fresh. He's still a dynamic performer at 75+, but how fun it must have been to see him at a club the size of the Troub. Just got the MFIT download (at a bargain price) to replace a yard sale vinyl - very tasty.

g.z. and Curious Breeze like this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Listening to this set this morning. Some obvious omissions. Still enjoyable on my cellphone with a blutooth speaker. Definitely not like the cd experience but I downloaded all 3 cds to the smartphone for convenience on treks outside.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I never realized that Neil had so many different mixes of his tunes floating around either. At least he's not like Zappa. With Zappa it wasn't just compilations, but almost every reissue has differences. That was especially the case when he was still alive. Zappa was a tinkerer who seemingly couldn't listen to something again without wanting to make at least subtle changes to it, and so he'd change it.

23. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with you regarding Bernie Becker...I thought The Very Best Of comp (Columbia, 2011) sounded way too bright and I was never quite happy with the audio on the In My Lifetime 3CD set (Columbia, 1996)...was hard to tell if the songs were remastered and Sony's SBM process added a brighter sheen to all the songs as well...that whole set could use a new remaster today.

As for the 50th 3CD, once again the remastering isn't consistent and yes, Yesterday's Songs starts abruptly...the opening was cut and the song starts rolling many seconds into the song, and I also couldn't believe this wasn't checked before being finalized?? The 50th 3CD is also missing many songs once again and track-wise, is a big disappointment...it's not so different from Capitol's earlier 2CD GH set.

Chris C likes this.
  24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I picked up a used copy today. Single digit DRs for the most part. Still, it sounds better than imagined when I ripped it and saw the numbers.

Lewisboogie and ponkine like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.