Neil Innes - New Album Project (Bonzo Dog Band/Rutles/Monty Python)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stuart Donner, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Donner

Stuart Donner Forum Resident Thread Starter

A new album project from the inimitable Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog BandMonty Python/Rutles) is due in 2019.

Here's what Neil has to say about it:

Hello. I need your help.
    I have written some new Songs.
    Songs I could simply record on my own
    but I believe Music is really all about
    playing and singing songs with others.
    Over the years I have been lucky enough
    to have worked with many Great Musicians
    who have become Good Friends.
    I would love to record these Songs with them.
    But getting them all together at the Same Time
    in the Same Room – costs money.
    This is why I need to raise some!
    With YOUR help – and pledgemusic.com
    WE can make this happen.
    Thank you for all your past support and kindness.
    “We are what we are – we do what we can.”

Neil Innes.

He's already at 84% of the goal met with only 7 days left - let's push this over the top & make his (and our) dream a reality!

cwitt1980 likes this.
  2. Stuart Donner

Bump! 2 days left and he's at 87%

3. Stuart Donner

Time's running out - he's at 96% with 17 hours left - c'mon, people! This is a Bonzo Dog Band/Monty Python/Rutles legend here...

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A link would help.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  5. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Christian Hill and cwitt1980 like this.
  6. Converse

Did you know the Rutles drummer Barry Wom played drums on Satellite of love on Lou Reed's Transformer?

7. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

THANKS!!! Just ordered! He's at 99% with just 4 hours to go!

8. Converse

Its a bit of a leap of faith to spend money without hearing but Neil has always produced excellent music over the years.
    If he ever plays live near you solo or with a band?
    Go you will have a great time.

9. Randy Berkes

Randy Berkes Forum Resident

10. Converse

Neil can dance while singing.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

How long left?

12. Stuart Donner

They are still taking pre-orders - get in there, get something nice and let's see if we can't tip it over 100%

Thank you to everyone who already pledged.

13. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

14. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

yes pledgemusic went kablooey, absolutely awful for artists who had stuff in play with them

15. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Too bad. I have a family member who saw him on tour a few years ago and said he was disappointing. I didn't see him myself, so I don't know. (I didn't even know he was playing locally, since my family member passively-aggressively didn't even let me know beforehand.) Good luck to him getting his album made.

16. Stuart Donner

Ugh. Seems like PledgeMusic has absconded with the funds and have left Neil (and other artists) high-n-dry & holding the bag.

In the meantime, a GoFundMe campaign has been established to get the project back on track: Click here to support NEIL INNES - THE NEW ALBUM organized by Yvonne Innes

According to Neil:

"The aim of this fund is to replace the money "lost" by Pledge Music for the Recording, Mastering, Artwork and Manufacture of a New Album of Songs by Neil Innes on CD and Vinyl. This project did achieve its target, the money was due but "unavailable". This new fund will ease the pain for all the victims as much as possible. Many who "pledged" their support recently may not get their money back. Many have generously offered to invest the same amount again! I am so humbled while at the same time inspired by this "coming together" - in a crisis.

Work has begun in the Studio and we hope to complete the Mixing before the end of February. This puts us back on track for a Spring release date. I would like to see everyone get what they wished for. There is enough disappointment in the World. If all this is news to you, and you can help, a great many people - including me - will be so uplifted and eternally thankful. You may even enjoy the songs!"

cwitt1980 likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Oh great. This is the second one of these I've had in the last year. Saw Neil at a local gig with the The Rutles not too long ago and he was great. Came and signed things and had photos with people after tbe gig and was an all-round good guy.

I'm not going to get the money back but I'd be happy to give the man the money I pledged in used fivers in his hand. I'm a bit wary of these things at the moment. Anybody know how to contact Neil?

19. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Since all that is in the past and Neil is gone now, does anyone know if the album was finished, or at least how much was finished?

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hep Alien, telliott and longdist01 like this.
  21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I've been listening to NearlyReally for a few days now. There's a lot of excellent material here - it's much in the vein of Archeology in terms of overall feel.

What is clear also is that he was aware of the end approaching and wrote about it. "Body and Soul" couldnt be more explicit.

A real grower, I can't get stop spinning it. I'm so glad he got it done.

It's at his website - go get a copy!

Hep Alien and Two Sheds like this.
  22. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

When I put the disc into my computer, iTunes identifies it as Nearly Really.
    When I put the disc into my car CD player, it's called Singularity (which was an early working title)!

Whatever you call it, it's wonderful and touching.

There's at least one more song coming from Neil - his charity supergroup "The Spammed" has given T-Rex the ska treatment for an upcoming glam rock collection:
    The Rebel Magazine: The Spammed Get It On with Tony Visconti

Hep Alien, Buddybud and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.