Neil & Liam Finn New Album Lightsleeper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since... Thread Starter

With Out Of Silence feeling still new and the odd announcement that Neil has joined Fleetwood Mac it seems that the Neil & Liam Finn's new album Lightsleeper has been announced under the radar. The album is out Aug 24th and is available for preorder. The video shows Mick Fleetwood on drums.

Disappointed to have the album being released as a double 45RPM but that's my preference. Still the first track is great and I am a big fan so I'll buy it.

TRACKLIST:
    01 “Island of Peace”
    02 “Meet Me In The Air”
    03 “Where’s My Room”
    04 “Anger Plays A Part”
    05 “Listen”
    06 “Any Other Way”
    07 “Back To Life”
    08 “Hiding Place”
    09 “Ghosts”
    10 “We Know What It Means”
    11 “Hold Her Close”

Neil & Liam Finn - Back To Life (Official Video)

BeSteVenn, Shoalcove, oboogie and 5 others like this.
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Other than the early Crowded House singles, I really just discovered Neil and am in the middle of exploring all his work after seeing people praise him on here after the Fleetwood Mac announcement.

I am loving everything I have heard so far....definitely ordering this, though I agree on the 45

Ken.e. and Ryan Lux like this.
  3. Ken.e.

Split Enz, Crowded House and Solo are great. Pajama Club is good. I also recommend the two albums with his brother Tim. Very talented guy!

4. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Obviously Liam's younger but no slouch either. He opened some of the crowded house shows back in 08 as a one man band (looped vocals, guitar and drums). Here's an example of what he can do live:

Ken.e. and whisper3978 like this.
  5. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

The album teaser sounds good! Probably one to get.

Ken.e. likes this.
  6. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

His last solo album was a bit overstuffed, but FOMO was a great album. Nothing he's recorded has come close to his live act, though. You really just have to see it to believe it.

Ken.e. likes this.
  7. Ken.e.

His first album was great. The vinyl version was a complete double album which was extended from the CD. He opened for Pearl Jam as well. I think likely because Neil and Eddie are good friends and have done a few things together.

whisper3978 likes this.
  8. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Yeah, my CD copy that came with the record is littered with glitches (clean disc, just faulty?), so I don't think I have clean copies of any of the extra songs!

Ken.e. likes this.
  9. Ken.e.

Sorry to hear. Mine is flaw free. It's coloured vinyl with the CD which I got used at a record store for $10 dollars.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anyone receive this thing yet? I got a shipping notification about six days ago, but I think it has to fly across the pond, so it might be a few days yet...

11. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Lightsleeper's out today. #1 on NZ iTunes chart, 8/10 review in Uncut, 4/5 in Q, 8/10 in Long Live Vinyl, 5/5 in NZ Listener.

BeSteVenn and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. Ken.e.

Mine is on the way from Amazon today. I like what I have heard so far but sounds like the Finns are making an album more artistically and less with an eye on mass consumption. What I've heard is more like Dizzy Heights and less like Liam's first or Crowded House.

BeSteVenn and Lance LaSalle like this.
  13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Picked up the vinyl today but wanted to have a listen on mp3 player without first having to rip it. Disappointed therefore to find that the download webpage isn't up yet.

14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

saw them today at amoeba records in hollywood. they were GREAT. Bought the vinyl but haven't listened yet. They played "Distant Sun" and it choked me up. Amazing voices and playing.

15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

was gonna post pix from today but have to have a url ? is this the 90's wtf

16. Ken.e.

Mine worked today.

Jaffaman likes this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Listening now...

[​IMG]

18. Ken.e.

It would be nice to have seen the pictures. Better yet to have been there, very lucky!!

btltez, Lance LaSalle and mrjinks like this.
  19. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

how do i post pix? too lazy to search it haha

20. Ken.e.

btltez and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Love everything the Finn's do, and after the first listen, this one is fantastic. "Where's My Room" blew me away !!

Ken.e. likes this.
  22. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Listening for first time now. I love Neil Finn but confess I've found his recent solo work, as well as the last CH record, to be too down tempo and a bit samey. I enjoy it but don't always go back to it. Wish he'd make another record with Tim but Neil, to his credit, seems to want to take on new things at this stage of his career. I figure the Fleetwood Mac payday should allow him to keep doing that.

Atmospheric, btltez and mikedifr0923 like this.
  23. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've listened a couple times on Spotify, and have been VERY impressed. The whole album kind of feels like a more thorough development of the more experimental moments on Dizzy Heights. It's moody, slightly psychedelic, and nearly hypnotic--perhaps in keeping with the title.

btltez, Ken.e. and mikedifr0923 like this.
  24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

It’s growing on me.....

As a newer fan of him, I am wishing for a miracle that the Fleetwood Mac gig leads to some new interest in CH and they do a tour over here.

25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Yes, the download finally was, um, up but - very disappointingly - lacks the bonus track Troubles.

Lance LaSalle and Ken.e. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.