Neil & Liam Finn New Album Lightsleeper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Hold that horse, Paul H. Troubles a brewin’ so cease your stewin’. Hoping to get this sorted this week.

Paul H, Ken.e. and Koabac like this.
  2. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I read the title of this thread too quickly and I thought it said 'Noel & Liam's Fine New Album Lightsweeper'. I thought WTF am I dreaming?

Anyway as you were...

3. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since... Thread Starter

I wasn't disappointed as I didn't know about the bonus track. I am now!

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s growing on me. I have to be in a certain mood for it...but it’s quite good when I’m in that mood.

Ken.e. likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Did anyone order via the artist website, where they had a signed item (a postcard, iirc) and get it? I thought sure I must’ve ordered early enough, but the cd finally came and no signed item was included. Curious if someone got it and if so, when they ordered...

6. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Really great, interesting album. I love the fact that Neil has continued to challenge himself and experiment rather than pander. He's released a LOT of material recently, trying different things with different people and "Lightsleeper" is as abstract and dream-like as he and Liam have ever gotten - and, apparently, Neil was the one pushing things more in that direction.

I'd be as happy as anyone else to get some more guitar-driven, melodic pop perfection from him, but I'd much prefer he was back in that mode naturally and just following his muse as he always does, rather than, "Hmmm, I think I've alienated my audience. Better call Nick, Mark and Matt and start strumming!"

That said, there are a lot of Neil's solo, Finn Brothers or other various band/side project material I like more than everything that's presented under the Crowded House monicker. Neil doing what he feels compelled to do seems to suit him. His new album with Liam is no exception.

7. Ken.e.

I always enjoy when an artist experiments with his music instead of sticking to a formula or following a trend. I prefer Lightsleeper to a big hit current producer trying to make Neil sound like todays charts. That being said Lightsleeper has required a few listens to appreciate but it grows on you.

8. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I agree that "Lightsleeper" is not instant earworm material, but it's really likable and interesting on first listen. The fact that it's challenging is part of its appeal to me, though. It will take time to reveal itself, which is something rare and satisfying these days, imo.

9. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

From the site, did you go to Music Glue, JB, Amazon or other?

10. mrjinks

Music Glue. My order posted June 7th and the email announcement of the album from Neil didn’t even come until the 12th...

I did email Music Glue and am awaiting their response.

11. mrjinks

I heard back from Music Glue and apparently their stock of signed items arrived late so they just hadn't sent them out yet. Mine will be forthcoming... :)

btltez, Jaffaman and Ken.e. like this.
  12. mrjinks

Five weeks later and still nothing. :(

Follow-up email just sent to Music Glue...

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  13. Ken.e.

That's very frustrating for you. Sorry to hear.

mrjinks and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the quality of the vinyl pressing and the sound quality of this LP? I have the CD and love it. I'm thinking of picking this up on vinyl if it's an improvement over the CD.

15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

mine sounds great

dthomas850 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A new Crowded House album with Tim would be nice. Woodface is the great album that it is because of Tim's involvement. A quasi Split Enz album.

blastfurniss likes this.
  17. Too bad the CDs are mastered so bloody loud.

Paul H likes this.
  18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

There's a bonus track? How does one acquire it? I have the CD.

19. Ken.e.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you.

robcar likes this.
  20. Ken.e.

It's a great sounding vinyl. My preference is to have 18-22 min album sides, these are a little short for my taste but the sound quality is awesome.

dthomas850 likes this.
  21. Ken.e.

Tim has not been really heard from since 2011's The View Is Worth the Climb album. If you like Woodface I would recommend the Finn Brother's album Everyone Is Here. It was released shortly after (and I would suggest inspired by) the passing of their mother Mary. Incredibly brilliant album that finds them exploring family and being brothers. Songs like Won't Give In, Disembodied Voices and Anything Can Happen are among my favorite Finn tracks of all time. There is also Edible Flowers which was written with Noel Crombie, Nigel Griggs and Eddie Rayner of Split Enz, not sure if it was resurrected from the Split Enz days but also a great song.

22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I believe Tim is writing musicals now.

23. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. I think Everyone is Here is one of the best things either Finn brother has ever done. Incredible songs on this one. Would love to hear the scrapped version produced by Tony Visconti.

Ken.e. likes this.
  24. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Cool, just ordered yesterday. Looking forward to spinning this on vinyl !!! BTW, I've heard the bonus track "Troubles" and it is fantastic. Has sort of a Peter Gabriel vibe to it, which I love !!

25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You can. It is - ahem - available.

blastfurniss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.