Neil & Liam Finn New Album Lightsleeper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

It’s interesting but really does not sound finished. I only prefer perhaps one or two of the Visconti versions; the rest are woefully underdone compared to the released Froom takes.

Paul H and blastfurniss like this.
  2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Where can one hear the bonus track?

3. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Last night I was at the opening concert of their 2 week European tour to support Lightsleeper at the Epstein in Liverpool, a 380-seat venue that was small enough to feel intimate. I had expected a largely acoustic piano/guitar set from Lightsleeper and Out Of Silence but I was surprised on 2 counts - there was only 1 song from Out Of Silence and most of the set included drums and electric guitar. Elroy was on stage too, alternating drum/guitars with Liam, and Sharon was on bass for a few tracks - Neil announced that this was the first time ever the 4 of them had been on stage together with nobody else. The support act was Pablo Vasquez, Elroy's classical guitar duo with Jolyon Mulholland.

Neil & Liam setlist:

1. Sweet Dreams
    2. English Trees
    3. Four Seasons In One Day
    4. Back To Life
    5. Any Other Way
    6. Listen
    7. Message To My Girl
    8. Fire In Your Belly
    9. Chameleon Days
    10. Meet Me In The Air
    11. Pineapple Head
    12. We Know What It Means
    13. Anger Plays A Part
    14. Golden Child
    15. Miracle Glance
    16. I Got You
    17. Better To Be
    18. Distant Sun
    Encore:
    19. Second Chance
    20. Where's My Room
    21. Don't Dream It's Over
    22. Julia (Beatles cover)

It was a wonderful experience, as always, to see Neil performing live, and this time having the whole family on stage really added to the atmosphere. Great banter between them all night, especially when Neil sang the wrong lyrics in English Trees and Liam stopped playing and corrected him, then Neil announced that he had to ask Liam the lyrics in rehearsal and Liam joked that he'd deliberately told Neil the wrong lyrics to see if he would make the mistake he just made.

Paul H, Ken.e., Dok and 1 other person like this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Haha. Love that last bit.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I count 2 songs from Out of Silence...

6. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

No, only Chameleon Days.

Are you perhaps thinking of Second Chance, which was the Liam song, not Second Nature from Out Of Silence ?

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Geez, they didn't include any Fleetwood Mac tunes???... ;)

gabbleratchet7 and chickendinna like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Of course. I knew that :)

Ken.e. and therunner like this.
  10. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Hello ! Was the download issue ever fixed ?

11. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Good question. Seems so long ago! I don’t know if the record company added the song to the download album or not but people are welcome to DM me or email the office at [email protected] with their download card details. No trouble to send Troubles.

Richard Maryanski likes this.
  12. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Wanted to add that I did get the vinyl and very pleased. Nice pressing and packaging. I just noticed the vinyl is $22 and change on Amazon US. Recommend this. BTW, the download for Troubles was not on the site, but got it after emailing the office.

Such a great album. Crazy how something like this does not get the recognition it deserves.

NorthNY Mark, Ken.e. and Jaffaman like this.
  13. Sorry Neil, but this album does absolutely nothing for me. I bought all your previous solo albums (all great), your Finn Brothers albums (both great) and I have all of your Crowded House albums - recent deluxe versions (love them all) and all of your Split Enz stuff (mostly excellent) but I'm afraid I have to give you the big 'meh' for this one. Maybe it is because you took more of a back seat/supporting role and allowed your son to dominate or perhaps you were too distracted by the prospect of joining Fleetwood Mac? I gave it a good go. I listened to it at least ten times, but with the exception of a couple of tracks it left me cold.

klaatuhf and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.