Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

I tried looking but can’t find a way to locate my old posts. I’m reluctant to give out my handle at the time, I was a total dork.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  2. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I learn the news and i'm shocked, it's so unexpected. I didn't know he was ill. This is so sad. Thanks Neil for all these great drumming parts and your contribution to rock music. RIP Neil .

No Bull likes this.
  3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Everybody's got a past. Own up to it and laugh it off.

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

It's the river, actually.

5. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

No one did, outside of a very close circle of family and friends. Given his predilections, not at all surprising.

And, as I posted way earlier in the thread, I have beyond the utmost respect for no one spilling the beans, slipping up and revealing the situation, gabbing to the press, etc. They honored his love and friendship in the best possible way.

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yes The Camera Eye live was amazing! The Time Machine Tour probably had my favorite setlist of the shows I caught, next to R40. Moving Pictures live in full was, pardon my French, a total eargasmic experience

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Whoops! Sorry, Mr. Pier-t.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Who else has been listening to nothing but Rush since Neil passed away? I've been working my way through their entire discography, digging out some of my live boots...just appreciating it even more than I already did. I feel blessed that I saw them in concert a few times...still can't believe he's gone and Rush are truly no more.

9. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

I've been adding to my Rush collection. Purchased the Studio Albums box set and have really been enjoying their catalogue from Presto through Snakes and Arrows. Never really focused on the '89 to '07 period, but have discovered how marvelous it is. Neil's playing during that time is markedly different from his '70s playing. It's more streamlined because of the song structures used (typical AABA and no "Xanadu" or "2112" during that era); however, he mixes in flurries of brilliance at just the right times to make the playing very tasty, but quintessential Neil. That's one of the things that doesn't appear to get too many comments, if any ... Neil's playing is malleable yet consistently superlative. Between his drumming, his poetic lyrics, and his great prose writing, Neil is a prime example of a modern Renaissance man. I would have loved to have seen what he could have accomplished had he not passed, but am thankful for the wealth of material he has left us.

Dansk and boboquisp like this.
  10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That's been me for the most part, but I've been careful to mix in other artists at times.

Funny, when Rush went into retirement I found it depressing to listen to their music for a long time. After Neil passed that feeling subsided, with a new appreciation for their catalog: a celebration of the music the three of them created.

11. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to the audiobook for Travelling Music. Never listened to an audiobook before but I’ve been enjoying this one....

I haven’t really listened to anything else other than Rush either.....still hasn’t really sunk in and still feel gutted.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am in shock. Neil Peart was one of Rock's finest drummers ever. His demise is a very sad loss, and his influence is undeniable. A Canadian music legend. And gone too soon. Neil Peart, R.I.P., your legacy will stand the test of time, and your recordings with Rush will amaze all those with ears that hear.

13. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

I haven’t listened to anything but Rush this month. Rediscovering all the great music feels like a wonderful gift that I’m happy to dive into.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

%90 Rush since Jan 7th. Amazing how I can go months without ever listening then I go on a total binge...but not like this.

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Today is actually the first day I haven’t, because another one of my favs passed away. Lucien Barbarin, trombone player with Harry Connick Jr., also died from cancer, 63. So I popped some HCJ on tonight.

Will probably be back or Rush tomorrow for the commute. The good thing to come out of this was I never really spend much time with GUP through HYF. But now that might be my favorite period of theirs.

jamesc and DrBeatle like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You still are. So, relax.

;)

18. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Sad news. Harry's band is killer, not a weak link anywhere. RIP Lucien :(

Dan

GodShifter and mikedifr0923 like this.
  19. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Not entirely Rush, but definitely more than usual. On the other hand: they were never away from my playlist.

20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Same. They're always in heavy rotation with me.

DiabloG and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I listened to nothing but Rush for about a week or so after the announcement of Neil's death, and they have remained a constant in my playlist in the last two weeks as well. :cool:

23. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

When I was in school, the only Rush I heard was from Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. I didn't care for either. Neil's death led me to check out some of the earlier records which I'm finding more enjoyable.

25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Neil was a class act, he is sorely missed.
    A great drummer/percussionist, songwriter, and human being.

Now both Rush drummers are gone.

Would be great in Geddy and Alex would do a tribute concert with a roster of guest drummers who were influenced by The Professor.
    Have all the proceeds of the show go to the research of brain cancer.