Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

A great loss, but an end to a protracted nightmare of personal suffering after a life that was magnificently realized. 188 users on thread; quite an SHF tribute.

2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

the final show, Los Angeles Aug.1, 2015 ......[​IMG]
    I am heartbroken.....

Thank you, Neil :targettiphat:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'm so glad I got to hear him kick the Tom Sawyer beat live, so many times. And always the perfect tempo -- never too fast. The last time I heard him do that intro, even Alex Lifeson made this funny Egyptian hand-gesture, and kinda danced and weaved in place a little bit, while the synth was booming around the arena and while Peart was crushing it with the snare and hi hat.

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

R.I.P Neal...
    From a very proud Canadian...

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What a tragic life: His wife, his daughter, and now Neil himself. And through it all, he didn't dissent into self abuse or publicly wallow.

He gave his all to his fans, and when he couldn't, he just faded away.

Many love Rush, and Neil. You didn't have to like Rush to respect Neil Peart, both the man and the musician.

RIP Neil. You earned it. May you be able to ride a bit easier in the next life.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  6. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Wow, just wow.

I never cared for Rush, but always thought Neil was a helluva great drummer, one of the absolute best, right up there with Charlie Watts, John Bonham, Al Jackson Jr, & Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey.

RIP Mr. Peart.

7. wavethatflag and aarsonbet like this.
  8. I'm not a fan of Rush's music, so I don't know much about Peart, but he was a hell of a drummer. RIP.

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Devastating news. A fan since childhood. He was and is a great inspiration in many ways. I feel lucky to have seen the band three times including the last tour at the Toronto show — Closer to the Heart was a special moment. Also feel very lucky to have met Mr. Peart in a chance encounter at a camera shop where he was returning some rentals early AM for his wife Carrie — very shy but very nice guy. RIP.

Groundhog713, wavethatflag and DavidD like this.
  10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

RIP man.

wavethatflag and g.z. like this.
  11. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

Kurt Vonnegut said, “Music is, to me, proof of the existence of God. It is so extraordinarily full of magic, and in tough times of my life I can listen to music and it makes such a difference.”

For me, Neil was one of those who had that magic that speaks to something simultaneously human and godly - whose gifts speak to something sublime and help make our sometimes difficult lives joyful. I can’t tell you how often he brought those chills to my body and inspired that awe. He was a rare one indeed.

I know he idolized Keith Moon, who is is one of my musical idols. They were both so profoundly gifted, but approached their art from such opposite angles. One was so anarchic, while the other one was so disciplined.
    Maybe there’s nothing else after life, but it’s nice to think that perhaps now they can meet and talk a little bit about drumming.
    RIP

12. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I just don’t know what to say. Shocked beyond belief.

wavethatflag and guppy270 like this.
  13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Never been much of Rush fan, but what a uniquely talented drummer and musician. Truly one of the all time greats. RIP.

wavethatflag and OptimisticGoat like this.
  14. longaway

longaway Senior Member

This is so sad. I'm glad, though, that he got his last years simply enjoying himself, and his family.

Bongo B and wavethatflag like this.
  15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Holy Crap!

He'd made it clear he wouldn't tour any more. I think now we know why. The world will be a far less interesting place henceforth. I daresay we shall never again see or hear his like behind the kit.... or behind the pen and quill as well. Not only did he play the most wicked percussion ever, he wrote so many fantastic, thoughtful, and thought-provoking lyrics.

Touring or not, this happened way to soon.
    We will miss you, Professor.

16. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I haven't seen anything yet but something related to cancer would be an obvious one (I'm sure you've thought of that), as aside from it causing his own demise it also killed his first wife. Contributing to you local school's music program or other music related organization is always good too.

Oof, what an awful way to go. He brought a lot of joy to our lives. I always found him interesting in how he obviously found stardom to be strange thing. One of more at ease parts of an interview I can recall was the interviewer getting him to talk about The Who.

Time to pass on the more modern versions and spin my childhood copy of All The World's A Stage. Loudly.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I didn’t know that he was ill.

wavethatflag and gregorya like this.
  18. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Godspeed, Neil. Your books got me through some difficult times and continued to provide inspiration.

[​IMG]

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

20. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

R.I.P. Neil

You will be sorely missed. :shake:

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

My apologies to the mods but **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!

wavethatflag and aarsonbet like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

RIP Neil Peart

Good drummer. Good band.

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

24. texron

texron Rory On

I'm simply stunned. Thank you for all the musical memories sir. RIP.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. davebush

davebush New Test Leper