Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

More than any other band that is no longer playing, I miss Rush the most. The last run of tours starting with Vapor Trails was such a fun time to be a fan and icing on the cake. They were great tours, and I was always conscious to appreciate being there and enjoying it while it lasted. I thought about traveling a bit for the final tour, but couldn’t afford it, but am glad I saw what I could. The Blu Rays of each later tour are such a treat to have. Neil’s passing still chokes me up. He accomplished so much in his time, and has been such an inspiration to myself and so many. I listened to the first four albums this weekend, and am starting to appreciate Alex even more on a far deeper level. I’ve always been a huge fan of his of course, but for me was always easiest to take for granted. Not cool I know, just being honest, but it’s great to still be discovering new things in the music.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I’ve just started reading his Travelling Music book. So far really enjoying it.

rcsrich and ytserush like this.
  3. Pratt

Pratt Forum Resident

Had the extreme good fortune to meet Neil in '93. A true gentleman, completely different when you could be one on one with him as opposed to being in a group of people, which would just make him turn and walk the other way. He signed my A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres tour books. Man, was I ever shaking just standing next to him...but he gently took the books out of my hands and signed them, he even personalized the Hemispheres signature. Definitely a moment I will treasure forever.
    Feel horrible for his family, especially his daughter.
    R.I.P.

BSC, Thorpy, Jvalvano and 9 others like this.
  4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Blastproof likes this.
  5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I enjoyed it too. Was thinking of rereading it.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Couldn't find one that I liked, so I passed.

There is one of Neil in the Presto Tour Book that I probably missed out on and I would have wanted the photo of Alex on the lawnmower in the Counterparts Tour Book, but I don't know if that was ever offered.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

10. ModernDayWarrior

Happy Birthday to the Professor. Godspeed Neil

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Lots of talk about Neil yesterday and Monday on Howard Stern. They even called up Lars Ulrich to talk about him. Lars had a really cool story about how in 1984, when Metallica's new management had Lars call Neil for advice. Neil spent about 40 minutes with Lars on the phone and they all talked about drums. Neil had his drum company send Lars (then, a 20 year old unknown) a drum kit.

13. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Cliff Bernstein was (still is?) Metallica’s co-manager...he was fairly instrumental early on in Rush’s career - wasn’t it his idea to release the ‘everything you wanted to hear, but we’re afraid to ask’ compilation to radio stations?

boboquisp and ytserush like this.
  14. ModernDayWarrior

Lars tells that story here-

15. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

I watched the tribute show.

There were some amazing individual solos. A couple that stood out were Keith Carlock (last two Steely Dan records) and 66samus (young metal drummer). Couple others stood out and I missed the names.

Some cool stories from drummers meeting Neil. Some were friends. The touching comments were from Rush employees. Employees all called him Bubba. His drum tech was clearly moved.

Modern Drummer announced an annual scholarship for a year of drumming lessons from a world class drummer. Neil also received a lifetime award posthumous and his wife had some prepared comments without video. They did get footage and comments from lots of drummers with varying quality of audio and video. There was a jam session recorded at Stewart Copeland’s “sacred grove” that included Neil Peart and Danny Carey. The show ended with one of Neil’s solos that I believe is from one of Rush’s previously released concert movies.

Cheers

Doggiedogma, ytserush, Guss2 and 6 others like this.
  16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

May have been. That's a fantastic early promo-only compilation which served as a template for the subsequent Rush Through Time import compilation.

brownsound2112 and boboquisp like this.
  17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Love Neil's vocal performance on that jam if it's the one I'm thinking of.

18. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

19. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

johnny q, Doggiedogma and Loup like this.
  20. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

I would bet it goes for much more than the estimate.

ytserush likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been a casual fan of Rush going back many years. Recently a friend loaned me her R40 concert Blu-ray and was blown away by the concert. The biggest impact was Neil Peart's drum playing. The drum solo on "Cygnus X-1 / The Story So Far" just blew me away! At times I lose interest during drum solos but not this one. I also did not know that he wrote the lyrics for Rush songs.

Looking further into Neil Peart's story I found that he was also an accomplished author. Then read a great interview with Geddy Lee and found out even more about Neil. I recently bought" Ghost Rider - Travels On The Healing Road" a book written by Neil. I just started it and it's a very well written book about his travels trying to cope with the deaths of his daughter and wife. I look forward to reading his other books as well. Seems like he was an amazing man far past his incredible drumming and song writing skills with Rush. RIP Neil.

SRC, Nightfly68, Ignominious and 9 others like this.
  22. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Well said Bil
    Well said Bill, without a doubt he was an amazing man. I'm glad you found him. I took my youngest son to see that tour when it hit Toronto.
    Great great show. Enjoy it all.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Definitely... I am as well! That's awesome Mike! It must have been so cool to take your son to that show!

Mike McMann likes this.
  24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

For me someone who was lucky enough to see NP live from '79 onwards I don't think anything matches the speed and dynamism of his drumming from the late 70's to the early 80's.......he was an unbelievable force of nature plus in that era he hung around after gigs I saw him up close a few times and was always charming if things were controlled but not so much if he got crowded etc. A really interesting person who absolutely was always pushing forward and I think he was a pretty decent writer too I enjoyed his books....I felt he was misunderstood particularly by the hardcore fan base here in the UK who resented his withdrawal from interacting with fans...

A terrible loss that absolutely touched me as he was such a pivotal part of my teenage years.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I really do not understand why some feel that musicians need to or should interact with their fans. I think seeing a group such as Rush live is enough interaction IMO. I would feel awkward asking any artist to devote any of his free time just for a brief meet and greet.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    ytserush likes this.