Neil Sedaka's best ever song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I find the lyrics on this one to be amazing. and the tune is compelling as well.

2. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

When I saw the thread title I hoped it would be this song. It’s about John Lennon apparently.

Damiano54 and shanebrown like this.
  3. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

He seems remarkably proud of The Immigrant, and so he should. It's a great shame that Sedaka hasn't been "rediscovered" by younger audiences, as he really is one of the great songwriters, and the lyrics to his songs from the late 1960s onwards are often dark and cutting. Perhaps it's his "light" voice that stop many from taking him seriously, I don't know, but behind those light tones there is often a sadness and bitterness which I think many miss.

I guess Solitaire would be up there with the best of them. But I find the lyrics to Superbird really quite moving, and Going Nowhere is just out of this world. I saw him in London last autumn, and he performed both of them brilliantly. Seventy-eight years old, and on stage for nearly two hours. Not bad going. Of the videos below, Superbird comes from what must be one of the most under-rated live albums ever made - just Sedaka and a piano, telling the story of his career over the course of a couple of hours. Sadly it's not out on CD - the pic on the video is a bootleg. As for Going Nowhere, like The Immigrant, it's very much a song of our times.

Hey Vinyl Man and ajsmith like this.
  4. shanebrown

Sorry, I always forget you can only post one video in a post! If you get the chance, check out Lena Zavaroni's version on YT as well.

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Solitaire

Natural E likes this.
  6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

nstza likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Calendar Girl, Laughter in the Rain...I like em!

hugh . g. likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

And he wrote that song became a Single for Capt. & Tennille

Carlox and hugh . g. like this.
  9. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

my parents always (guessing still do ~) loved this song...

10. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

It's not my favorite of his, but I consider it to be his best hit of the 70s, a classic.

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

For me,it's the too cool-Calender Girl.

hugh . g. and chacha like this.
  12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I was (and am) a huge Neil fan, and his early sixties hits are for the most part, remarkable.
    But my favorite to this day is still the original "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do". His vocal multi tracking
    on this is amazing. But I appreciate the recording even more after the two "In The Studio" discs
    were released a few years ago. IF you are a Neil fan, these two (gray market?) volumes are essential. To hear the complete
    sessions (in stereo) where he works up the vocal harmonies and overdubs is remarkable.
    And the "Breaking Up" session is essential listening and shows what a genius he was/is.
    Can't find any videos online for the CD's, but here's the cover...…..
    (This web site DOES have samples if it works...
    In the studio 1958-1962 ; vol.2 - Neil Sedaka - Muziekweb
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    airking, Tord and ajsmith like this.
  13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

All the early hits are POWERPOP MASTERPIECES

I've particularly fond of this one:

14. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I know the thread is about "The Immigrant", but I'll go ahead and post one of his best that I only heard
    about 6 years ago for the first time.

Cellophane Disguise - with lyrics by Carole Bayer.

ajsmith likes this.
  15. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

I've always liked this one:

Folknik, RandyP and Chris C like this.
  16. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I picked up the compilation The Very Best of Neil Sedaka purely to hear "The Immigrant" which I always regarded as a lost classic...and found myself enjoying all of the 70s hits that I remember hearing at the time.

But I also found this. And this is rather good too.

Edit - snap! I would have posted earlier but had to hear it first.

Chris C likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

What else but....Stairway to Heaven?

Shaker Steve and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Vastly overlooked/underrated for his work in the later '60s and early/mid '70s.

Excellent pop writer, excellent pianist, excellent vocalist.

Sadly, there is no decent compilation that properly covers these wilderness years--which includes a bunch of non-LP singles, demos, etc.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    longdist01 and Damiano54 like this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"The Hungry Years" is easily the song that I've always felt was his very best, although he has had plenty of other great ones!

RSteven likes this.
  20. shanebrown

Sedaka is very much in need of a boxed set. There isn't a single compilation out there that covers both periods of his success. The main compilations feature (albeit good) re-recordings of the early 1960s hits. And many of the later albums are out of print, too, which is a shame. You'd think that they would at least be available for downloading/streaming etc. And these days, he's not even affiliated to a major company, which is rather sad.

Hey Vinyl Man and O Don Piano like this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The Immigrant is great but having a young Mom who played Neil Sedaka 45’s in the rec room all the time when I was a little kid influences my feelings. I have to say Calendar Girl might be the greatest Neil Sedaka song!

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sadly, the days of RHINO as they were, with great comps that were licensed via different labels are long gone, There just aren't many reissue labels who will cross license stuff anymore. Neil, on paper, seems like a much easier one to get done, as his old hits (RCA) are now owned by SONY/LEGACY, while the later (Rocket) and (Elektra) material, are now owned by Neil. What I really would love to have, rather than another comp of the hits, is just a great A & B RCA singles in original mono mixes, CD comp.

23. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Standing On The Inside is a great song and I always thought the lyrics were introspective and very much a reflection of where his head was at that time in his life.
    Wheeling West Virginia too, is another great song with introspective lyrics albeit from an actor’s viewpoint.

24. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I’m not sure what the best one is but for sure my favorite is Laughter In The Rain. Just a perfect little single there.

25. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

“Superbird”...mildly disturbing & awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.