Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 12, 2021.

1. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident Thread Starter

BARN ALERT! I REPEAT: BARN ALERT!!

The first track from the new NY & CH album is available to listen to now on NYA.

No news beyond this now other than this is the oldest song in the album, according to Neil.

2. IHeartRecordsAz

Update: NYA has now also posted the track list, along with the release date: 12/10/21
    1. Song of the Seasons
    2. Heading West
    3. Change Ain’t Never Gonna
    4. Canerican
    5. Shape of You
    6. They Might Be Lost
    7. Human Race
    8. Tumblin’ Through the Years
    9. Welcome Back
    10. Don’t Forget Love

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Wow, great time to be a Neil Young fan. He just churns them out. Archive releases , new music with the Horse, it doesn't matter. Neil is a machine. Keep it coming Neil.

4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Hope his lyrics have improved on this album. It's been pretty bad on the last few.

5. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

The lads reckon after the last crazy horse bloody shambles the only was is up, my sons!

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Canerican"?!?!?

Jimmy B., pexie, Porkpie and 12 others like this.
  7. IHeartRecordsAz

I’m very weary of this as well, tbh…especially since someone has already pointed out this song title:

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There's a credit for the guy running Teleprompter on this new record

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

One great long jammed-out track would excuse a lot, as it indeed did on Colorado.

10. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Canadian-American, bet.

11. pet_soundsations

pet_soundsations Well-Known Member

I like this cut quite a bit. Really digging the vibes that the accordion adds

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

On first listen, “Song Of The Seasons” is a continuation of Neil’s style over the past several years. It’s kind of short on melody, and Neil seems to be trying to fit more words than should go into his verses. Maybe it will grow on me.

The sound is nice. We’ll see.

bonus, maui jim, Skylarkblue and 4 others like this.
  13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Is this the Horse without Sampedro, is he retired for good? Is Lofgren then taking his place? After seeing the Horse so many times, can't really picture them without Frank laying down that rhythm while Neil weaves around him.

14. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

really like the new song.

15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

also, the album has an official ORS disc 51 designation.

16. IHeartRecordsAz

You pretty much hit it. It’s pleasant, and the accordion is a nice touch (as someone else pointed out). And the melody is nice and enjoyable. But for me, as with most of his records over the last few decades (especially post Psychedelic Pill), the issue is the lyrics. You’re right, he fits way too many words in a line now, and they’re just not as captivating or imaginative as they once were. Imagery and nuance gives way to the same nature tropes, and while the lyrics here aren’t as blunt as a lot of his event stuff, the mask reference will always date this song to 2021. And I was worried when I saw the 6 minute plus length and realized that this song wasn’t a guitar jam, but rather a folky ramble, but thankfully it doesn’t feel as long as it’s length.

Also, hearing Neil’s voice aging more with each new record makes me feel quite sad. Our hero’s are aging and it’s really bumming me out.

17. IHeartRecordsAz

The answer to both of your questions is “yes.” If you want to hear how Nils fits in with the current CH sound, give their previous album, Colorado, a spin.

18. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

This song is pretty nice. Excited for the album.

19. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

..but it's also kind of beautiful at the same time, isn't it? That's life. And we get to hear this lifetime of music from a pretty incredible artist. There's a track on here titled "Tumblin' Thru the Years". Kind of feels like a call back to "Here We Are in the Years". Pretty amazing how old Neil and young Neil can interact in this way. We're lucky to have him. It's those artists who we never got to hear as elders that's more sad to me (...I've been listening to lots of Soundgarden lately, due to Badmotorfinger's 30th anniversary).

20. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

I actually have Colorado already but for some reason it kept getting bumped down the pile, and I've bought so much NY recently I'm way behind!

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the fact that we still get new music from neil young is … it’s mind blowing to me. a man capable of many this much music.

i will be inconsolable when he leaves this planet. no other non-family or friend has had this much of an impact on me than neil young. he’s been the soundtrack to some key experiences of my life.

i listened to this song 3 times in a row. i don’t care about the lyrics being “meh”. i’ll connect with them later. i love the instrumentation and fragility in his voice. it all comes together to make a great sound for me. i liked colorado, but this song is hitting in a different way.

22. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I can't keep up:) I haven't processed the new Timeline concert yet! Having said that, keep em coming!

But I really do like the new song...

23. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Agreed - But maybe think of it like a Rick Danko or Elvis Costello thing?

Chief likes this.
  24. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I really dig this song, the accordion is beautiful. I know it's been said, however some editing on the lyrics would benefit.

25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Its too bad Ben Keith wasnt still around or this could have been a Santa Monica Flyers record!

While ive been not a fan of Neils last few records beyond a track or two, I am curious for this one as he's had a couple years and a schedule unburdened by touring plus he has been digging heavily through the Archives during that time so maybe some of that might spark something.

Honestly though good on Neil for still pursuing that passion. People his age they dont do the things he does.