Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it amazes me that neil young fans, of all people, can't accept the fact that he's not the same songwriter as he was 50 years ago.

Sean, Vinyl Socks, TonyACT and 7 others like this.
  2. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Ben Keith was on alto sax at the 1984 Crazy Horse shows at the Catalyst as well.

3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Stills Is inconsistent to me. When he nails it,he hits out of the park. And I believe he does that more often than not, I’m not sure what’s happened to him the last 10 years or so. But every time I put on Manassas, I’m reminded of how great Stephen Stills can be. He didn’t do that album alone, he had some help, but that’s mainly him for all intents and purposes.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You mean 20 years ago? I listened to Silver and Gold today, from year 2000. It's great.

Terry, Cassius, rjp and 5 others like this.
  5. sbo

sbo Well-Known Member

I just got the "live at carnegie hall" LP - such a great live album in my opinion. I ordered "Barn" and I am curious to find out what Neil young is doing today

bonus likes this.
  6. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

7. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I can accept it, it just makes me sad that’s all. I don’t get the same enjoyment or anticipation out of his more recent stuff like I did out of his older material. That said, none of this will prevent me from buying Barn or anything else he decides to release.

TonyACT likes this.
  8. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Y is what I rate in CSNY.

But Stephen Stills’ Manassas is fabulous.

ARK, Sean, TonyACT and 4 others like this.
  9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

So what happens to POTR and Willie's boys? Guess Crazy Horse sells more records these days.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which is great for fans like me who don't care for POTR, but love the Horse.

11. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Wading into the Crazy Horse/Santa Monica Flyers debate (against my better judgment): I haven't seen anything that indicates how the band was billed for the initial four shows at the Corral Club in August '73. For the Roxy shows, tickets and advertisements simply said "Neil Young," though at least one media report referred to the Horse, albeit with a shaky grasp of band member names (info/images courtesy of Sugar Mountain):

[​IMG]

It's also not clear how the band was billed for the three Canadian shows that followed at the end of October, but in advance of the British tour in November, it was advertised as the Horse (tickets for the Rainbow simply said Neil Young, while those for Glasgow, Newcastle and Royal Festival Hall used the Horse name):

[​IMG]

Then, according to "Shakey": "A week in England and Scotland began on November 3. Midnight, Young abruptly renamed the band the Santa Monica Flyers, donning a plastic Nixon mask Briggs had given him." So the group was introduced as the Flyers during those shows (also "Clark Kent and the Micronite Filters" as a goof at Bristol).

And after the band returned to the States for the final six shows, the available tickets and posters just say "Neil Young."

Sean, Bruso and groundharp like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe 30 000 against 20 000.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They probably do the next tour, since it looks like Nils is gonna be busy.

14. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

Billy TALBET, Nils LOSGRIN, BOB Keith? Hahaha!!!

nmesen and ET3311 like this.
  15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I actually like Song Of The Seasons. Neil is not shouting his opinions at us. There is something very understated about this performance and the beauty of Nils Lofgrens accordion lifts it up. You could say it’s Neil by the numbers, but even so I would call this rather promising.

Sean, TonyACT, Kevin j and 1 other person like this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

for all the nerds who care about this stuff (like me), from the looks of it the physical release of barn will have an ORS disc number on the spine. number 51.

i think this is will be the first new neil young album to have a number on the spine, and not a reissue or true NYA release.

sadly no jewel case release for the CD to match discs 1-4....

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

That’s a decent album, some of those songs date back to ‘97 at least.

I just don’t find it useful to compare someone to their younger self in general. Life goes on.

Sean, Jam757 and mightyquinn61 like this.
  18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

It’s possible the next shows Neil plays could be with POTR but he has stated a few times on his NYA site that if NYCH want to play and Nils is playing with Bruce, then it will be Micah Nelson pinch hitting for Nils.

My gut tells me Neil really wants to play out with Billy and Ralph. Cliche or not, the clock is ticking. There’d be enough material between PP, Colorado, and presumably Barn, that NYCH could play 90 minutes and not just trot out the old classics.

I don’t know if Neil tours anymore, or just sporadically schedules some shows. Semantics probably, but I don’t see him rolling out a tour like the Alchemy tour from 2013/14.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

That would be really nice. Some live shows focusing purely on the new stuff.

ARK, Sean, mightyquinn61 and 2 others like this.
  20. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Alchemy was a perfect blend of new & old. I'm down for whatever ride they want to go on though, as long as I get to see them play again.

21. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

I really thought I saw the lengths of all the songs somewhere. Wasn't the album length around 50 minutes or so?
    Can't remember where I saw it.

22. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Heading West is a goodie. Great, pure NYCH sound. It's on Spotify but not The Archives. A big stuff up I think.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I can't find Heading West on Spotty.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Been pulled from YouTube as well.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  25. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

On the preorder page it says that Heading West will be sent out on oct 29 (that is, tomorrow). So we’ll all be hearing it tomorrow, I think.

Mr-Beagle likes this.