Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Hoyt

Hoyt Forum Resident

Can’t think of a Young song without a few interesting lines. The old greats don’t spend days writing, rewriting like they did when young. I’m OK with that when the music is still good, if not the latest sensation.

ARK and qtrules like this.
  2. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Not as bad as I expected! :laugh: Very autumnal sound, and the performance is surprisingly loose. Even the lyrics are passable, although Neil has this weird habit of using words that don't rhyme, seemingly at random. Is anyone else reminded of "White Line"?

steelinYaThighs and cosplusisin like this.
  3. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

yes. I am reminded of a few songs, and "White Line" is one of them. "The Painter" is another. "A Day in the Life" is another. "Sail Away" too. All of the Harvest Moon album too. Most of all, though, it's "When I Watch You Sleeping".

(p.s. spare me the "it's all one song" comments, because I know!)

4. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

Yup. He's always dated his songs. ATGR, Campaigner, and Without Rings come to mind.

piepants, JoeRockhead, ARK and 2 others like this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Not bad. I wonder how many times Neil listened on playback and was wishing Ben Keith was in the room, playing?

because I hear his sad steel lines in my head when I listen to this.

fingers crossed for the whole record.

bonus, ExHead, ARK and 5 others like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Colorado grew on me, maybe this one will too. Still, I don't expect Neil to deliver another great album of new material from here on out. And that is okay, he isn't the only legacy artist limping to the finish line, but that doesn't dismiss the tremendous output he produced for so many decades. He is still an all-time great.

7. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I’m much more concerned about the song title Shape of You … I assume it’s not an Ed Sheeran cover, or else it’s a sure fire sign we really at nearly at the end of times :)

I’ll look forward to buying this.

carlwm, klockwerk, RomanZ and 3 others like this.
  8. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Wonder if we'll get to hear (and see) the original solo Song of the Seasons from Coronation Hall last winter: "(W)e stayed for almost six months there in Canada near my old hometown, where I first had started to go to school. We did a recording in an old hall there and (Daryl) filmed it. I did an old song, COMES A TIME and a new one ‘SONG OF THE SEASONS’. The new one was the same instrumentation as ‘Comes a Time’, so we used the older song to prepare the sounds for the new one. It worked."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    smoke, primoridal_ooze, ARK and 4 others like this.
  9. As will I. It's a special thing (and we're near the end of it) to be able to go in and buy a new Neil Young album.

smoke, steelinYaThighs, DaveJ and 7 others like this.
  10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Yes, very much this.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

What do you guys think about Niko Bolas co-producing this album? I believe it's the first album with Crazy Horse that he's producing. Will this have more or less influence than John Hanlon producing?

12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

One word: stoked.

qtrules and Sean like this.
  13. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Must be why I like this song, because I love that song!!

14. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Band sounds great. Very Harvest Moon- Silver and Gold. Not over thinking it, to my ears it sounds like a winner and a better album starter than Think Of Me. Accordian is beautiful.

primoridal_ooze, qtrules and ET3311 like this.
  15. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Sounds similar to Colorado, maybe a hint of Sleeps with Angels?

I'm not instantly repelled by the lyrics, as was the case with the last few albums. I might actually like this album. Only 2 more months to go!

andyediewatt and ET3311 like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

From the Canadian greedy hand store:

CD version - 29,99 CAD :
    Description

Ship Date: 12/10/2021

BARN, the new Neil Young/Crazy Horse album was recorded in a remote, restored, 19th century log barn. This musical family has played together for a half century yet they continue creating new music. Neil and the Horse fans have long shouted for “more barn” and here it is… 10 new songs that capture the wild, rock and roll spirit, the idiosyncratic raw sound and the lyrical beauty that epitomizes a classic NYCH collaboration. The last song appeared on the last morning and was recorded just an hour later during a pounding hail storm and during the full moon.

The album was recorded this summer over a handful of days. The ten new songs encompass all that Neil Young with Crazy Horse are known for, beautiful romantic acoustic ballads, powerhouse electric rockers and insightful rollicking tunes that stick with you.

Niko Bolas was parked adjacent to the barn, in an exquisite analog mobile recording truck, Le Mobile ready to capture and mix the album on the spot.

Produced by The Volume Dealers – Neil Young and Niko Bolas, the album will be released on vinyl, CD, cassette and digitally (including h-res audio on NYA).

""Barn"" Official Release Series #51 and was recorded analog for the highest quality vinyl.

A 192/24 resolution version is available for high resolution streaming.

1. Song Of The Seasons
    2. Heading West
    3. Change Ain’t Never Gonna
    4. Canerican
    5. Shape Of You
    6. They Might Be Lost
    7. Human 8. Race
    Tumblin’ Thru The Years
    9.Welcome Back
    10. Don’t Forget Love

Deluxe LP + CD + Blu-ray ste - 79,99 CAD
    Description

Ship Date: 12/10/2021

BARN, the new Neil Young/Crazy Horse album was recorded in a remote, restored, 19th century log barn. This musical family has played together for a half century yet they continue creating new music. Neil and the Horse fans have long shouted for “more barn” and here it is… 10 new songs that capture the wild, rock and roll spirit, the idiosyncratic raw sound and the lyrical beauty that epitomizes a classic NYCH collaboration. The last song appeared on the last morning and was recorded just an hour later during a pounding hail storm and during the full moon.

The album was recorded this summer over a handful of days. The ten new songs encompass all that Neil Young with Crazy Horse are known for, beautiful romantic acoustic ballads, powerhouse electric rockers and insightful rollicking tunes that stick with you.

Niko Bolas was parked adjacent to the barn, in an exquisite analog mobile recording truck, Le Mobile ready to capture and mix the album on the spot.

Produced by The Volume Dealers – Neil Young and Niko Bolas, the album will be released on vinyl, CD, cassette and digitally (including h-res audio on NYA).

The deluxe edition will include the LP, CD. and Blu-ray film. The Blu-Ray captures this legendary band in their element, their easy humor, their friendship, their humanity and of course the music they make as it happens.

A special gift with six behind the scenes photos will be included with the LPs sold at the Greedy Hand Store at NYA and at independent record stores! The photos will also be included in the LPs included in the deluxe edition “Barn” is Official Release Series #51 and was recorded analog for the highest quality vinyl.

A 192/24 resolution version is available for high resolution streaming.

1. Song Of The Seasons
    2. Heading West
    3. Change Ain’t Never Gonna
    4. Canerican
    5. Shape Of You
    6. They Might Be Lost
    7. Human 8. Race
    Tumblin’ Thru The Years
    9.Welcome Back
    10. Don’t Forget Love

Sean, stef1205, ARK and 3 others like this.
  17. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Neil Young is a mercurial man and has been for decades. The complaints I see with every single turn he takes makes me think of the people who leapt up and angrily crossed their arms and pouted when he went gonzo electric at a 1991 show I saw, as they yelled "I WANTED HARVEST!!" like people who demand their money back after a movie they don't understand. If you don't expect him to do something strange at every single turn, you've missed the point he's been making for ~40 years. Buy it or don't, no one cares. I know he puts out a never-ending stream of material. Not everyone is going to like all of it.

pexie, piepants, smoke and 13 others like this.
  18. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

I may be in the minority - I've absolutely loved Neil's string of albums in the 21st century... from Greendale, to Psychedelic Pill to Storytone, The Monsanto Years and everything in between. It's been a thrilling ride and I've really enjoyed it, not to mention the archival releases, which have been fantastic...

So when it came out, I was surprised to find that Colorado was the first Neil Young album of this century that kind of bored me.... It was okay, I guess, but just didn't catch fire at all for me. A lot has happened since then, of course, so I'm actually looking forward to giving it another listen soon... And based on this new track, which I think is really nice, I'm more inclined to listen to Colorado again.

Don't understand all the complaints about the lyrics not fitting (have you just heard Neil Young for the first time?!), and I don't think Neil's lyrics have been particularly bad the last few years, he's just changed tack to more of a commentary, more of a reporting back on what he sees and feels, and I like that. Seems like that's become his positioning of himself ever since his aneurysm... and on 'A Letter Home', in his message to his departed mother, he says he won't be joining her 'up there' yet as he still has a lot of work to do down here. I know that's just 'performance', but those lines always stuck with me, and boy has Neil held true to them, he's worked constantly, tirelessly, putting out new music as his muse dictates (which is really the only direction he needs to follow, as far as I'm concerned), as well as getting his archives in order and releasing some incredible stuff from across the years...

I'm looking forward to this new record, but had to laugh when I saw this this morning... I literally just brought home the Carnegie bootleg series record yesterday! It hasn't even reached the turntable yet and he's announcing the next one.... I actually love that!

pexie, piepants, wabrit and 19 others like this.
  19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

My first reaction too, CH with Nils is more eclectic (if such a thing is possible with Neil Young). But his voice is definitely weaker than it was on Colorado, such is time.

chickendinna likes this.
  20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Song of the Seasons is a soothing song and fine intro to the album. The accordion is a nice touch. New music from Neil is always welcome. However, my expectations about Barn are the same as they were for Colorado, Peace Trail, Fork in the Road and just about every other Neil release this century. Conversely, when it's time for an Archive release, my expectations are considerably elevated and are usually sky high. Carnegie Hall 1970 far exceeded my expectations and validates my love for Neil and his music. I hope Barn is a surprise in a way his last few albums weren't.

RobCos02330 and primoridal_ooze like this.
  21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

mideast vacation, one of these days, fork in the road...

22. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Given the alternative is "Amadian" or "Ameradian", it's probably better he went with that.

lucan_g and ARK like this.
  23. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

I know that loose 'sloppy' sound is a part of Neil Young's signature when working with Crazy Horse however I really wish that sometimes he'd try to focus his songwriting a bit more. I really feel like his 90's revival was in-part due to a more 'intricate' song-focus direction - the music didn't sound improvised, instead it sounded like it was constructed and practiced.

pexie, smoke, primoridal_ooze and 2 others like this.
  24. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

This is the SHF mantra.

smoke, bloodlemons, Sean and 3 others like this.
  25. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Haha

There are not many new releases I personally do say that about (and I’m not a collector of box sets or reissues so don’t buy new ‘old’ stuff either etc)

However, on new Neil Young releases (not archival) then it IS my mantra :)

Vox78 likes this.