Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I don't see a blu-ray successor anytime soon.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Maybe he'll change his tune when he hears about the number of people buying bootleg cds of the material. The bootleg industry was dying, this will be the biggest shot in the arm they will ever get. :shake:

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Wait, and your avatar is Dennis Wilson? The Beach Boys? The group who has done more dumb stuff than just about any other? You realize the new POB is probably more of a miracle than the Archives. I'm 37, a Neil fan for the last 21, and I'm not jaded yet. I think of the Archives like a very beautiful and completely unattainable woman. If she comes my way, what a thrill it will be indeed.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I'm guessing Neil Young has carefully considered the fact that by doing Archives this way, he's going to leave some fans who are late (or non-) adopters of this technology in the dust. And I'm guessing he's fine with that.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think you have to remember that Neil is thinking about people discovering and learning about his music in the future, and not just his original fans.

6. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Neil Young, Bittorrent's new bestest friend.

7. Why not do like the Doors Perception Box with both CDs & dvd Audio?:rolleyes:

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I upgraded to a DVD-recorder last summer.. But it can't deal with HDTV's, so I had to put it downstairs where I still have a standard TV. (which means the VHS's i put on DVD are now useless on my new tv.) I then bought an HD-dvd player that is now instantly obsolete and apparently they don't play DVD-A like my DVD-recorder did.. So I've just upgraded twice and got screwed each time. I have no dollars left for blu-ray.

9. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Not in that order. They are buying big HD screens (not because they are HD, but because they are big), and only a very few of them are also getting a HD player.

Don't assume Blu-ray will be successful just because people own HD-ready screens.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Start a thread on dumb Beach Boys moves and I'll be there. :laugh:

In the meantime, sow a LOT of wild oats while you're waiting for Ms. Perfect. That TIME FADES AWAY rip sounds like a good plan! :righton:

11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Where have you been? People stopped buying bootlegs 10 years ago (except for very small sub-groups of wealthy Zep collectors who still buy them for some reason). File sharing killed the bootleg industry overnight years ago and the world is a better place for it.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9937142-80.html?tag=nefd.lede

"Storage is the only limit," Young said, and recommended the Sony's PlayStation 3 as the best way to view his project.

He added: "We are trying to give them quality whether they want it or not. You can degrade it as much as you want, we just don't want our name on it." People are taking music and doing whatever they want with it, he said. "The laws don't matter. These are people in their bedroom doing what they want. It's the new radio."

13. Chris M

I would be surprised if all of the Springfield footage including Mannix wasn't in the Archives.

14. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I was going to get a ps3 to supplement my 360 this summer anyways. This just seals the deal.

15. Chris M

Exactly. Half the forum has more money invested in cables than they would in a new Blu-Ray player.

I agree, not being able to play this in the car or easily put it on the ipod for the gym is a big issue for me. That said it won't be enough to keep me from buying the set. It will take a lot more than this to keep me away from unreleased Neil.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That includes the Neil quote, ""I plan to dumb my analog to the higher level so masses can enjoy it," he said."

Hmm.. "masses" are going to buy this thing?

Volume 2 will probably be a special Neil Wii game that allows you to unlock the music with each princess you save.

17. DJ WILBUR

I have a feeling its all going to be in here. this is clearly an everything AND the kitchen sink release. 10 discs, for the first decade...wow, a lot of material is going to be here. I might have to get a playstation.....:angel:

18. Chris M

I'm trying to guess where vol 1 ends. If disc 3 is 1968 I'm thinking this will at least cover everything up to Harvest. I'll do terrible things, things much worse than treating myself to a Blu Ray player, to get the 1969 Sunset Sound Crazy Horse sessions and the rest of the material recorded during the Expecting to Fly sessions.

19. DJ WILBUR

it makes sense to have Harvest on here, as a sales driver. its also a great place to have it stop as he goes into the ditch after....but still leaving lots of great commercial fare for box two with rust and what not....

i'm telling you i'm getting more excited about this as annoyed as I am. Hey, at least he's taking care of quality sound and trying to make it unique and interesting and Playstations will no doubt come down in price by the time xmas rolls around....i may be thinking more along the lines of getting this, as it seems like a real journey through the past....

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What we say to dogs:
    What dogs hear:

21. DJ WILBUR

hey its his reality, no reason to pick on him.

22. Chris M

Yeah, I don't think it would be right to have the TFA stuff on vol. 1. Speaking of Neil has some pre tour Time Fades Away rehearsals including a studio run through of version of Last Dance that is supposed to be really good.

23. DJ WILBUR

and I'm pretty sure you are going to be right about this. Harvest is a perfect stop point IMO. curious what box 2 would span, but silly to conjecture, since I don't believe we're going to even see box 1 at this point still...:laugh:

24. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I agree. I wouldn't put any stock in a fall release.

25. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I think Neil is dead serious, this is it for him, he's spent many years assembling and perfecting the content of this package and has now finally found a format he feels comfortable putting this all out. I personally can't see why he would hold this back any longer now, he's not getting any younger either.

http://www.java.com/en/java_in_action/neil_young.jsp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.