Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was a joke. Apparently, not a good one.

He can say whatever he wants. I'm free not to understand a word of it.

Arf.

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

haha, i misunderstood you. haha...this rebuttal cracked me up though...:angel:

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Really. I didn't understand a word of it.

Overall, this thread has made me very, very grateful to the folks at Rega.

4. DJ WILBUR

i get this. some might hear it like a dog..hahaha...does make your head spin doesnt it though...

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Sounds like such an ambitious project that there might be some delays even if they aren't attributable to Neil's oftentimes hard-to-understand decisionmaking process.

6. Pasquale the K

Pasquale the K New Member

I know a lot of guys who bought cd players after listening to "Brothers in Arms" in 1985 (it's hard to remember now the impact of hearing the opening of "Money for Nothing" without groove noise or tape hiss) I bought my first HDTV after my wife saw the "U2 Rattle & Hum": DVD on a cost no object theatre system a friend had circa 2001. The right software can drive hardware sales. I wouldn't buy a BR player for this one but something similar from one of my favorite artists? For sure.....

7. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

*Originally* Neil was quoting that Vol.1 would go up to and stop at 'War Song', which was:

Recorded on May 22, 1972
    Released on June 24, 1972

Which would make Vol.1 finish with Harvest and this, and Vol.2 start with JTTP and TFA...

*Originally* that is...

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Have you never seen this Far Side cartoon?

Attached Files:

9. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Hmmm.. for me, the stereo system and TV are in the same room. If I listen to 5.1, I kinda *have* to park myself in front of it in order to achieve the effect. I personally see no problems with actually paying attention to what I'm listening to. That's what I used to do years ago when I first discovered music. It was only later that I put it on as background noise, but that's really no way to enjoy it. I mean geez, what's the point of listening to something with excellent sound if you're not close enough to the system to hear it?

As for the car, sure I like to listen to a lot of my music there but I don't need to. I certainly can't play SACDs and DVD-As in there.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That'd be fairly easy to do :)

if this comes out in regular DVD, great! I'll rip the audio for cd.

11. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I note that the Fillmore mixes were done in 1996. And IIRC, the Massey Hall mixes were done around the time of the concert (1971). And, reading Shakey, it's clear that mixes of material from the Tonight's the Night sessions were done by 1996 as well. In short, Young has been sitting on this, and Neil Young fans have gotten twelve years older, or died, and never had a chance to hear it in any format. I understand his philosophy, but for God's sake, Briggs, Carrie, Nitzsche, and others have all died without more than a smidgeon of this material coming out. Joel Bernstein has gone from teenager to over fifty (I would guess) being a slave to Neil Young. Disgusting.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, but I'm not talking about you or the other audiophiles here, I'm talking about all the people who mostly listen to music in their car or on their iPod or while they're washing dishes. These are the people who didn't buy SACD and DVD-A and now aren't likely to buy music on Blu-Ray. (Though, the Archives isn't for the casual fan anyway.)

13. Squealy

I know you're talking TV, but how much coverage is he going to give Buffalo Springfield? I thought that audiowise at least, that had already been taken care of on the BS box set.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The mixes for Massey Hall were not done in 1971. Neil didn't even listen to those in 71 and that pissed David Briggs off big time. It wasn't until 1996...after David Briggs had passed away in late 95 that Neil listened to the tapes of the Massey Hall gigs.

Were it not for Joel Bernstein, there wouldn't be much of an archives (not that it's released) to have available to release in the first place. I think your comment of "disgusting" is unfounded.

15. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Can we make this the official thread for people who want to complain about the format, price, Blu Ray players, Ps3s, and other things not related to music and then start another thread about content and art?

I know that's the thread I want to read. The one with the insight that many posters here with lots of knowledge can provide, and the reason I became a member of this forum in the first place.

PAX
    C

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Since when is an artist obligated to release what he or she didn't deem worthy of release in the first place?

Frustrating? Yes.

Disgusting? No.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Don't kid yourself. High end labels are still issuing stuff all the time that people are buying and fortunately some are putting it up on bit torrent sites. Judging from what I see there, boots are NOT dead, just for the special collector. I think a lot of them come form Japan.

18. cartologist

I agree, Neil's under no actual obligations... but. When an artist repeatedly, and in detail, expresses his intention to release said material, and crashes through announced release dates like a Caddy with bad brakes, without explanation, then he's just being manipulative.

I love the guy to pieces, but the Neil-being-Neil thing is getting old. As is Neil.

19. cartologist

Well said, and I agree, my snarky comments notwithstanding.

20. DJ WILBUR

i dont think one can expect a thread dealing with the Archives "content and art" until its at retail and can be examined. so come back in the fall for that discussion....

...In the meantime, its a ground breaking announcement, some are thrilled and others are getting used to the idea, and some luddites like myself are somewhat annoyed for the moment, and why cant we be? its new technology, major changes to our set ups, big stuff as i see it...with a big sticker shock.

anyway, we're in here to talk about the "press announcement" and presentation at Java as I see it. why cant some complain if they feel like it? are you being offended or insulted? its not like the members in here can go to the water cooler at their offices and talk about this topic....face it, we're a rare breed in here and we're all together and some are positive and some are negative, I for one am enjoying this thread and getting to hear a lot of opinions and thats one thing this place is really full of, and I'm glad.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm not kidding myself. Compared to the mid 90's the bootleg insustry is all but dead. The days of thousands of fans paying $35 for Ultra Rare Trax or $100+ for the Sea Of Tunes sets are long gone. The very small supset of Zep collectors that still play for those JPN bootlegs is an exception.

22. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I'll stay home from work today waiting for the announcement!

23. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

My frustration is that this is turning into a thread I can't enjoy, which is ironic, since Neil Young and his unreleased music is of great interest to me. I guess after 8 pages, I've read enough complaints, and it doesn't really add to my day. No new ground is being covered. The forum is great though and has a place for everyone's thoughts. I think the Blu Ray format decision is tough for folks and understanably so, but I get it people don't like it.

I am hardcore I will buy a new player, but not JUST because of NY I have wanted one anyway, since I own HDTVs. Now that the format war is done, and with this comming out it makes perfect sense. Many hard core fans are in a similar position. Truth be told I was hoping that Oppo would get their universal out there before this release (One can hope). If I hadn't been on the fence about getting one of these machines and was a hard core NY fan I would be bummed.

I guess I would like more positivity since it's another sign that this sucker is finally going to be a reality.

C

24. Squealy

Though... was anything new really announced? We already knew Neil wanted to put the Archives out on Blu-Ray, and that it would come out... sometime. Everyone's still waiting for a tracklist and a release date.

25. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

Of course. I would not have bought one for years though. I do not need every new stuff that exists, just because it exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.