Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Doesn’t look like ‘Young Shakespeare’ is getting a January 2021 release. Wouldn’t pre-orders be up by now?

Sean, Heart of Gold and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

This is great. I'd actually found this video quite a while back. I'm sure a significant number of its views are from me!

zakyfarms likes this.
  3. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

I'll be curious to see when this and Rust Bucket come out. I wouldn't be mad if Rust Bucket jumped Young Shakespeare in the queue.

4. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Old Ways 1 is my holy grail of unrealised NY albums but I prefer the performances on Old Ways 2.

JayB, m_y_t_h, sharedon and 3 others like this.
  5. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

Great thread. Count me in for all of it! Assuming, that is, that they will all have physical releases.:)
    Catbird.

Matthew Tate and ET3311 like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the more neil young releases the farther out the 'deja vu' anniversary gets pushed :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I wouldn't be mad if Rust Bucket jumped everything in the queue, going back to the day it was announced.

8. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Especially considering the Bootleg Series is going to give us three additional solo acoustic shows from this period...and all of which are more legendary and desired by fans than Young Shakespeare.

m_y_t_h likes this.
  9. Mbd77

I’d be disappointed if ‘Young Shakespeare’ is put on the back burner indefinitely and becomes another ‘Toast’.
    This is especially true when Neil has apparently embraced the idea of releasing multiple shows from the same tour - something that I’m all for - and also said that more Archive releases than ever will come out in 2021.

If he hesitates with this then it shows that old habits die hard.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. IHeartRecordsAz

I think considering they’ve completed work on this, announced this release to the general public (unlike Toast) and have even shared a good chunk of the audio on NYA already, I’d still bank on this coming out next year, albeit maybe in the middle of the year (although the app still shows a 1/29 release date still, but I don’t think there’s one listed on the desktop version).

Matthew Tate and Mbd77 like this.
  11. Mbd77

Nothing yet up for pre-order for the proposed January / February 2021 releases.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If Archives 2 is being released in a more economical format in February 2021, it won't be a shock if some of the other titles get pushed back. It will be surprising if Warner saturates the market with so much new product at the same time.

13. IHeartRecordsAz

Though Young Shakespeare’s proposed date is only showing up in the app version, and not the desktop, so I’m assuming that that release date is inaccurate and is only still there in the app due to a glitch?

Totally agree, though it’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out regarding release dates, as in one of Neil’s most recent messages on NYA, he essentially says that he doesn’t care about the traditional release cycle anymore (and giving records space for the usual promotion) now that he has NYA. So this surely will lead to him and Warner clashing at some point. Though maybe it’s possible that, once these new tiers launch, these upcoming releases will appear there first, and then physical product will be released at a later date and more in line with a traditional release model.

14. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. Neil suddenly wants all this music released, but clearly Warner can't just issue several titles all at once. In the fall, in addition to Archives 2, he wanted both Return To Greendale and Rust Bucket to be released -- Rust Bucket got pushed back, likely because Warner didn't want two separate live albums coming out at the same time (I would have liked to have seen Greendale pushed back).

15. Mbd77

I imagine so, but for everything that gets pushed back theres a knock-on effect for the other releases. If Neil intends 2021 to be the year that more gets released than ever before, thats not a great start.

That could well be the issue. See comment above.

Heart of Gold and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. IHeartRecordsAz

Also I believe that Neil said that vinyl production delays were responsible for these releases, as well, so I don’t know if the dates on NYA (at least for Rust Bucket) reflect that or not.

17. Mbd77

1. Way Down in the Rust Bucket will be released on February 26th, with pre-orders set for January 15th.

2. Young Shakespeare also has a release date of 3/26 listed, while the reissue of Eldorado is now scheduled for 5/28.

Thanks IHeartRecordsAz :righton:

Sean, Hep Alien, borderwolf and 2 others like this.
  18. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

I have a few suggestions for your next update from NYUA:

Chrome Dreams - 1976-1977? I have it down as 1975-1976. Which tracks would be from 1977?
    Dume - There are still loose plans for a double vinyl album. Whether that would include any new tracks?
    Early Daze - “Early Daze is a studio record. It does not include live tracks.” (LTE, Early Daze, 10 Jul 2019). But who knows?
    I'm Happy Y'All Came Down - Might be a good idea to mention the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for clarity or does everyone know that?
    Old Ways - aka Leavin’ The Top Forty Behind
    Over The Rainbow - Seems to have been called Under The Rainbow most recently unless that was just a joke!
    Toast - Toast sessions were early 2001. Don't think there were any in 2000.

Possible additions to consider:

1999 Solo Tour - “Working on that 1999 solo tour now. Hanlon has been on it for years.” (LTE, Archives/1999 Solo Tour, 27 Mar 2020).
    Eldorado Extended - “Eldorado expanded is next year with Road Of Plenty, a new album of unreleased and unheard tracks." (LTE, Road Of Plenty, 28 Apr 2020).
    Harvest 50th Anniversary Edition
    Island In The Sun - “Island In The Sun is coming, I promise.” (LTE, Island In The Sun, 29 Apr 2020).
    Live At The Catalyst With Crazy Horse, recording of the show at the Catalyst, 19 May 1997 - “We do have that Catalyst performance on tape. It’s pretty rough but it will show up here in the Archives eventually.”
    Mirror Ball Live Dublin - probably only a film
    Songs For Judy 2/Electric Judy - seems to have dropped out of the picture though.

And then of course there is a cartload of film projects! But we won't go into that...

laf848, omikron, Sean and 5 others like this.
  19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

There’s the “non-deluxe” version coming in March, but yes, an even cheaper version would be welcome, or even issuing the CDs separately.

Has there been much chatter about this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

Not that I am aware of.

21. Mbd77

Thanks to all who offered updates/corrections. Here’s the latest list. I’ve excluded some of the exceptionally vague...the things that sound as if they might turn up online only. So, physical audio releases that have been mentioned a few times or with enough detail/well known enough to suspect a release...you get the idea.

Significant changes are in bold.

As of today, there are THREE ‘new’ audio releases forthcoming with specific release dates.

Updates/corrections:

Archives Vol. II - 1972-1976 Compilation Box Set. RELEASED in 2020

Homegrown - Unreleased 1975 Studio Album. Special Release Series. First mentioned 11 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’). RELEASED in 2020

Return to Greendale (Neil Young & Crazy Horse live, 2003). Live Album. RELEASED in 2020.

Odeon Budokan (Neil Young & Crazy Horse live, 1976). Live Album. RELEASED in 2020 as part of 'Archives Vol. II'.

Dume (Neil Young & Crazy Horse, 1975). Studio Sessions. RELEASED in 2020 as as part of 'Archives Vol. II'.

Toast - 2001 Studio Album. Special Release Series. First mentioned 13 years ago ( was up on Amazon pre-order in 2008) - Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Alchemy - 2012/13 Live album. Live Performance Series. First Mentioned 8 years ago. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Ragged Glory II / ‘Ragged Glory Extended’? - 1990 Studio Album/Additional sessions from 'Ragged Glory' - First mentioned 3 years ago, with anticipated release in 2019, which never happened. Live Release Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date. Mentioned on 14th Jan 2021 ‘Letters’ that it is coming in 2021, features the song ‘Interstate’ and was referred to as ‘Ragged Glory extended’. Not sure if that’s the new name for it.

Chrome Dreams - Unreleased 1975/76 Studio Album/Sessions. Special Release Series. First mentioned 12 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’). Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Time Fades Away II - 1973 Unreleased Live Album. Live Performance Series. First mentioned 12 years ago. Possibly/probably superseded by 'Tooscaloosa'.

Oceanside-Countryside - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Special Release Series. First mentioned 12 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’)

Way Down in the Rust Bucket - Unreleased 1990 Live Album. Live Performance Series 11.5. Currently on the Timeline with a release date of 26th Feb 2021.

Young Shakespeare - Unreleased 1971 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline with a release date of 26th March 2021. No series number assigned.

Road of Plenty - Unreleased 1986-89 Studio Album/Additional sessions from various albums from this period. Special Release Series. Currently not on the Timeline. No release date.

Garage - Unreleased 1986 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Early Daze - Unreleased 1969 Studio (?) Album. Live Performance Series?/Special Release Series?. Currently on the Timeline without a release date. Mentioned in 'Letters' as planned for 2121* (probably a typo and he means 2021...I hope)

Live Freedom - Unreleased 1989 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Timeless Orphium (same as 'Polar Vortex'?) - Video version on Archives website December 2020- CD/LP/DVD to follow?

I’m Happy Y’All Came Down - Dorothy Chandler Pavillion 1971 - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. May 2021? Not on timeline.

Carnegie Hall 1970 - Live Album. Bootleg Series #1. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE 7th MAY 2021

Royce Hall 1970 - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. May 2021? Not on timeline.

The Bottom Line (Neil Young live, 1974) Live Album. Bootleg Series. Audience tape. Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Under The Rainbow/(Over The Rainbow?) Live: Tonight’s The Night (Neil Young & the Santa Monica Flyers live, 1973) Live Album. Bootleg Series. Audience tape (?). Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Ducks Live in Santa Cruz (Neil Young with the Ducks live, 1977) "Trick Of Disaster" - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Other albums mentioned but little additional detail:

Boarding House Solo (Neil Young live, 1978) - Unreleased Live Album.

Island in the Sun (Neil Young, 1982) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions.

Old Ways (Neil Young, 1983) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions.

Times Square (Neil Young & the Restless, 1989) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions.

Harvest Time (Neil Young & Stray Gators, 1971) - Unreleased Live album. Possibly superceded by various Bootleg Series releases?

Mirror Ball Live (Neil Young & Pearl Jam live, 1995) - Unreleased Live Album.

Polar Vortex (Neil Young live, 2019) - Unreleased Live Album. Became 'Timeless Orphium?

The Tower - Philadelphia (Neil Young live, 2018) - Unreleased Live Album.

Homefires (Neil Young, 1974) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Some tracks released as part of "Archives Vol. II"

CSNY at Fillmore East (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young live, 1970)- Unreleased Live Album.

Summer Songs 1987 - Unreleased Studio recordings? Possibly overlap with 'Road Of Plenty'.

Noise and Flowers - Europe 2019. Unreleased Live Album/Compilation.

Archives Vol. III - 1977-19?? - Compilation Box Set - "Slated for 2022" according to message on the Archives webiste dated 25th Nov 2020.

Archives Vol. IV - ???? - Compilation Box Set

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    omikron, ARK, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  22. Mbd77

12th February 2021 for “Young Shakespeare” pre-order?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Is that true? Knowing that he's said that then May 7 is the release date for the first bootlegs he's announced would that put it that Young Shakespeare might come out the day he puts the bootlegs up for preorder?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Mbd77

I dunno it’s an educated guess based on the release date and pre-order period for Rust Bucket.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

It's not going to surprise me but we're sure 3/26 is the Young Shakespeare release date?

Matthew Tate likes this.