Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

I’m fine with that.

2. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

So are the OBS titles due for 4/1 going up for preorder THIS week?

Sean, Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

they were put online then removed, i'm assuming they'll be up any minute now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Very surprised that these weren’t announced today. :confused:

5. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

I'm sure they'll be announced tomorrow with preview tracks.
    Unless of course they've been pulled.

6. Mbd77

Fingers crossed. :righton:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Mbd77

Looks like these have been pulled from Qqbuz now as well.

Not looking good.

This is why I don’t update the list pre-emptively, as someone else in this thread has done.

ARK and PimentDouceur like this.
  8. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

May, 6, on Amazon.it

WarEagleRK, Mbd77 and ET3311 like this.
  9. Mbd77

If so that would mean pre-orders around 25th March hopefully.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Held off on ordering vol 2 but just ordered retail version for $99 from Amazon. Seems like a good deal and looking fwd to it.

ARK, Sean, DmitriKaramazov and 5 others like this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Agreed. Damn I really like it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Has there been a discussion about releasing Chrome Dreams?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Donal murphy

Donal murphy Forum Resident

Nice to see Volume 4 ORS vinyl coming out next month. As expected the 5 Geffen albums are skipped, and it will have the 2 pre Geffen albums “Hawks & Doves”, “Reactor” then it skips forward 6 years, to when Neil reunited with Reprise for “This Notes For You”, and the “Eldorado” EP.

its the lightest ORS Box to date, he should have added “Freedom”, and start Volume #5 with “Ragged Glory”.

I also hope we will get a separate Geffen era, ORS vinyl box, eventually. I’d imagine we will, once any licencing/publishing issues are ironed out. Neil will likely call it ORS Box #4.50 ! In the same way he labelled “Long May You Run” as 8.50

Taxman, Sean, m_y_t_h and 4 others like this.
  14. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

If all the other ORS box sets were readily available at a half decent price I'd purchase this, but as it stands I own three of the albums on CD anyway and i've heard the other digitally; none are essential in my opinion. All I want is for Neil to release a 'proper' collection of all his studio albums like Bob Dylan did (I wont be holding my breath though). £45 is a bit steep for three old albums (and an EP) in standard packaging - I'll pass

Taxman and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Or number the Geffen set -1 just to mess with David some more.

ARK, Sean, James Bennett and 5 others like this.
  16. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I’m glad I purchased the previous 2 installments of the ORS bc they’re out of print and stratospherically priced as a result. The new set doesn’t stack up artistically to the others, but if I don’t get it now, I may regret it later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Donal murphy

Ya, i’ve been totally sucked in now.
    Still, i never bought anything on vinyl pre 2005, release, when i became a big fan, so these boxes are filling my Neil gaps nicely.

ORS 5, will have likely have :Freedom, Ragged Glory(hopefully a double), Weld(hopefully a triple), and Arc.
    This box will be the first time Neil has added vinyl, as those two albums are way too lengthy to be sonically viable. Ragged Glory was originally over 60 minutes on a single vinyl, and Weld was about 120 minutes on double vinyl, its insane when one thinks about it now.

He is also separately releasing, an extended Ragged Glory vinyl version, with extra tracks, but i am staying with the ORS boxes, gotta draw the line somewhere !

chickendinna and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Same thinking here. None of these albums make me want to rush out to buy this one over other items I'm interested in but I don't want to be screwed down the line for hesitating. When (if) the Geffen albums do come out the boxes will eternally annoy me on the shelf because of the chronological disorder.

I am hoping the price comes down, it's pretty high for the meager content.

19. Donal murphy

I’d say the price will drop, but i shopped around and ordered, as in Europe, prices varied from €85 to €120 for this vinyl box.It was €112 on the Greedy Hand official store, but a high risk of additional customs & excise as they send them from outside the EU. €85 is not bad for 3 albums and an EP in a nice box, and all previous ORS boxes have been faithful to the original issues.

Shop around is always best option, or, wait for a post release price drop, which can be risky.

20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

The Geffen years were not my cup of tea. I tried as hard as I could to get some enjoyment out of those 4 albums, but I failed. If the Seventies were Neil’s reaction to success so he headed to the ditch, then the Eighties were Neil jumping the median and driving straight into oncoming traffic. I’m not sure if the Geffen years will be covered in Archives III or IV, but I’ll be curious to see how Neil handles it.

Instant Dharma and Leugi like this.
  21. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Indeed. I got 1-4 for a measly $20 so I foolishly waited for 5-8 and 8.5-12 to drop in price. Finally bought 5-8 for $37 because I didn't want to risk not getting Time Fades Away on cd, now I kick myself for not immediately picking up 8.5-12 for the same price.

[​IMG]

22. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

same here - I wonder what gems are in the archives that may redeem the period somewhat. The international harvesters release certainly helped me with the Old Ways period stuff.

ARK and chickendinna like this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Neil ultimately issued the individual albums from 1-4, and I still think it is very surprising he has not done the same for the other volumes. He has made sound quality such a priority over the years, yet the standard CDs at retail for 5-12 are mostly the older, inferior pressings.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I really wish I was able to have snagged Vol 1 of the Archive. Please re-print!

25. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

It’s one of those items on the long list Neil launched as an idea. Should be easy to do with limited production costs so bring it on!