Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I'm glad Rust Bucket is coming first but the constant delaying Of Young Shakespeare is puzzling because Neil has committed to 3 other live albums from the same Fall/Winter 70-71 solo acoustic period in the first half of 2021. It seems like a little spread in between them would make some sense. Obviously things can continue to get delayed but I'm envisioning a scenario where in three straight months we get those four shows and because they are so similar some fans will probably pick and choose instead of getting them all which may make sales seem softer. As opposed to say a three month period where you got vastly different shows like Carnegie 1970, Rust Bucket 1990 and Ducks 1977.

2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

That’s what it says on the site.

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Mbd77

Update to include “Johnny’s Island” which seems to replace “Island In The Sun”?

Updates/corrections:

Archives Vol. II - 1972-1976 Compilation Box Set. RELEASED in 2020

Homegrown - Unreleased 1975 Studio Album. Special Release Series. First mentioned 11 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’). RELEASED in 2020

Return to Greendale (Neil Young & Crazy Horse live, 2003). Live Album. RELEASED in 2020.

Odeon Budokan (Neil Young & Crazy Horse live, 1976). Live Album. RELEASED in 2020 as part of 'Archives Vol. II'.

Dume (Neil Young & Crazy Horse, 1975). Studio Sessions. RELEASED in 2020 as as part of 'Archives Vol. II'.

Toast - 2001 Studio Album. Special Release Series. First mentioned 13 years ago ( was up on Amazon pre-order in 2008) - Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Alchemy - 2012/13 Live album. Live Performance Series. First Mentioned 8 years ago. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Ragged Glory II / ‘Ragged Glory Extended’? - 1990 Studio Album/Additional sessions from 'Ragged Glory' - First mentioned 3 years ago, with anticipated release in 2019, which never happened. Live Release Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date. Mentioned on 14th Jan 2021 ‘Letters’ that it is coming in 2021, features the song ‘Interstate’ and was referred to as ‘Ragged Glory extended’. Not sure if that’s the new name for it.

Chrome Dreams - Unreleased 1975/76 Studio Album/Sessions. Special Release Series. First mentioned 12 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’). Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Time Fades Away II - 1973 Unreleased Live Album. Live Performance Series. First mentioned 12 years ago. Possibly/probably superseded by 'Tooscaloosa'.

Oceanside-Countryside - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Special Release Series. First mentioned 12 years ago (being ‘rebuilt’)

Way Down in the Rust Bucket - Unreleased 1990 Live Album. Live Performance Series 11.5. Currently on the Timeline with a release date of 26th Feb 2021.

Young Shakespeare - Unreleased 1971 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline with a release date of 26th March 2021. No series number assigned.

Johnny’s Island - 1982 (?) Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Possibly the same as ‘Island In The Sun’. First mentioned Jan 2021. “Johnny’s Island’ is a complete album now being prepared for release at NYA and includes a majority of unreleased tracks including ‘Rainin’ in Paradise,’ ‘Johnny,’ and’ Love Hotel,’ among others. it’s a beautiful record coming to you soon.” Not on timeline.

Road of Plenty - Unreleased 1986-89 Studio Album/Additional sessions from various albums from this period. Special Release Series. Currently not on the Timeline. No release date.

Garage - Unreleased 1986 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Early Daze - Unreleased 1969 Studio (?) Album. Live Performance Series?/Special Release Series?. Currently on the Timeline without a release date. Mentioned in 'Letters' as planned for 2121* (probably a typo and he means 2021...I hope)

Live Freedom - Unreleased 1989 Live Album. Live Performance Series. Currently on the Timeline without a release date.

Timeless Orphium (same as 'Polar Vortex'?) - Video version on Archives website December 2020- CD/LP/DVD to follow?

I’m Happy Y’All Came Down - Dorothy Chandler Pavillion 1971 - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. May 2021? Not on timeline.

Carnegie Hall 1970 - Live Album. Bootleg Series #1. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE 7th MAY 2021

Royce Hall 1970 - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. May 2021? Not on timeline.

The Bottom Line (Neil Young live, 1974) Live Album. Bootleg Series. Audience tape. Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Under The Rainbow/(Over The Rainbow?) Live: Tonight’s The Night (Neil Young & the Santa Monica Flyers live, 1973) Live Album. Bootleg Series. Audience tape (?). Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Ducks Live in Santa Cruz (Neil Young with the Ducks live, 1977) "Trick Of Disaster" - Live Album. Bootleg Series. Taken from Mutlitrack soundboard. Release date May 2021? Not on timeline.

Other albums mentioned but little additional detail:

Boarding House Solo (Neil Young live, 1978) - Unreleased Live Album.

Island in the Sun (Neil Young, 1982) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Superseded by ‘Johnny’s Island’? This was also suggested as being an EP rather than an album, whereas ‘Johnny's Island’ is described as a ‘“complete album”.

Old Ways (Neil Young, 1983) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions.

Times Square (Neil Young & the Restless, 1989) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions.

Harvest Time (Neil Young & Stray Gators, 1971) - Unreleased Live album. Possibly superceded by various Bootleg Series releases?

Mirror Ball Live (Neil Young & Pearl Jam live, 1995) - Unreleased Live Album.

Polar Vortex (Neil Young live, 2019) - Unreleased Live Album. Became 'Timeless Orphium?

The Tower - Philadelphia (Neil Young live, 2018) - Unreleased Live Album.

Homefires (Neil Young, 1974) - Unreleased Studio Album/Sessions. Some tracks released as part of "Archives Vol. II"

CSNY at Fillmore East (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young live, 1970)- Unreleased Live Album.

Summer Songs 1987 - Unreleased Studio recordings? Possibly overlap with 'Road Of Plenty'.

Noise and Flowers - Europe 2019. Unreleased Live Album/Compilation.

Archives Vol. III - 1977-19?? - Compilation Box Set - "Slated for 2022" according to message on the Archives webiste dated 25th Nov 2020.

Archives Vol. IV - ???? - Compilation Box Set

omikron, ARK, Boswell and 13 others like this.
  4. Mbd77

“Young Shakespeare” pre-order should be up in approx. two weeks.

SteveFff, Alan57, monkeyboy67 and 2 others like this.
  5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I have just started to listen to The Old Homestead disc. It's really huge . I hope to "adsorb"it before the release of Rust Bucket.

6. Mbd77

Boarding House Solo (Neil Young live, 1978) - Unreleased Live Album is now apparently part of the “Archives Volume III” box set.

ARK, Hep Alien, Alan57 and 2 others like this.
  7. I just hope I get it before the release of Rust Bucket.Mine has been in transit from Canada since 27 November.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Remember in the fall when he posted a brief schedule of upcoming releases?
    One would think he'll be doing that again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Hmm. What's the difference between Oceanside/Countryside and Johnny's Island?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

Two different projects: first was before Comes A Time

11. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

So does Johnny's Island fit in post Re-Ac-Tor and prior to Trans?.

The update section on this thread is very useful to help keeping on top of this ever expanding Archive world. :righton:

Mbd77 likes this.
  12. borderwolf

No. Johnny's Iceland was the sequel to Re-ac-tor and Trans wouldn't be out (or would come later, but with different songs)

13. polk

polk Forum Resident

Johnny's Island falls between the recording of the Trans vocoder tracks and the release of the Trans album.

Sean, tug_of_war, zuma11 and 2 others like this.
  14. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

Johnny's Island was recorded in May 1982 at Commercial Recording, Honolulu, HI

15. Heart of Gold

I think that only a part of the songs was recorded in Honolulu. Allegedly Island in The Sun was an incomplete and unfinished album.

16. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

All songs were recorded there in May 1982 except Johnny which was recorded later.
    Incomplete and unfinished can be interpreted in many ways expecially when talking about Neil

Sean, tug_of_war and Sigma6 like this.
  17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I wish old Neil would talk some sense to Page,Plant,and Jonsey!

Gavaxeman likes this.
  18. Heart of Gold

Do you have recording information about Love Hotel, because I hadn't ever found anything?
    Love Hotel and Johnny are the only 1982 not submitted to the Copyright Office in 1982. Love Hotel was played several times during the 1982 Birmingham Soundcheck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  19. Mbd77

“Ragged Glory II” now being referred to as “Ragged Glory Tattered” or possibly just “Tattered”.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. borderwolf

I like "Tattered"!

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Tattered Glory?

Smokin Chains, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yes, just like Toast!

Instant Dharma and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Mbd77

As predicted: pre-orders for the LP, CD, DVD and deluxe box set will start this Friday, 12th February.

:righton:

ARK, Sherwood SST, SteveFff and 2 others like this.
  24. Mbd77

I think the next question is whether there will be another Archives release on 30th April 2021 and then whether they will continue on the last Friday of each month?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Mbd77

I’m banned from the Archives thread so can't post there, but what is it with DVDs? Everyone seems to want this stuff on video. :confused:

Did people want to watch “Harvest” when it came out in 1972? :sigh::winkgrin:

Also people bemoaning this release because of “Massey Hall”...there are people that download every audience recording of every show but as soon as there’s multiple official releases from the same tour they’re confused by it.

I say bring it on. Looking forward to “Young Shakespeare” more than “Rust Bucket”, and also very much looking forward to the Bootleg Series in May. :goodie:

Looking forward to these on cd (rather than DVD) as well. ;)

Rant over. :D