Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Fantastic job. Thanks for this.

Sean, ARK, stef1205 and 2 others like this.
  2. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Good question. May 7 brings Bootleg releasing so I wonder if we'll get.
    Young Shakespeare preorders - 2/12.
    Rust Bucket release - 2/26.
    Bootleg preorders - 3/19
    Young Shakespeare release - 3/26.
    Bootleg release - 5/7.
    I would bet something will come in June not sure what (maybe if he's rolling the initial bootlegs out one at a time it'd be one monthly) but maybe: Preorder: 5/14. Release: 6/25.
    Has he indicated what is next after Rust Bucket + Young Shakespeare + Bootlegs?
    I know he's indicated that Early Daze, Road of Plenty, Ragged Glory II, Alchemy, Polar Vortex (or Timeless Orpheum) whatever he settles on & also Noise & Flowers are slated for this year but the question is always which of those will for sure come this year

Sean, Hep Alien, Mbd77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

What's the latest info on Toast?

Sean, footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

It's done

Sean, ARK, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

We are now at at a point where apart from the “Bootleg Series” in May, there are no scheduled Archive releases that we don’t know the release date of for this year.

I’d imagine/hope that in the next few weeks we get a timeline/albums page update with a few more specific forthcoming releases for 2021.

zakyfarms and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

IKR.
    Having watched the clip of Tell Me Why on the Archives site, I cannot see a pressing reason to own this on DVD. I will probably just get the CD, and that for completist's sake (and I gave up buying new Neil Young albums - as in newly written material - many yearss ago).

Harm1985 and Wild Frank like this.
  9. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yeah. It’s a nice version but nothing outstanding really. Think this is one for me to stream.

windfall likes this.
  10. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Agreed. It's a good version, but I think the Cellar Door and Massey Hall releases cover this era of solo acoustic performances pretty well already. I'll probably pick it up sometime, but it won't be like Rust Bucket where I'll be counting down the days and eagerly watching the mail...

11. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Same here, last album I bought was Storytone Deluxe, but probably should have stopped buying after Psychedelic Pill came out... and I don't even know WHY I bought Fork in the Road.

I'll buy the CD and DVD, for completists sake, although I don't understand why he didn't just make it a Blu-Ray (like they did for NYA Vol. I) and why he didn't do a CD+DVD (like for Massey Hall). The audio is 192/24 on his website and there are hi def transfers from Vol. I available...

12. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

I'm a bit of a completist but this feels like a really unnecessary pick up for me. I have all the previous archive releases except Archives Vol 1, Vol 2 is on order! I imagine I will get it and it'll sit on the shelf....
    I am missing Storytone, Monsanto Years, Peace Trail and Paradox from my Neil collection. I got Colorado and was unimpressed. I don't think he's made a half decent album since Silver and Gold.

13. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Just like a bus, you wait ages for one then 3-4 come along at once, as we say here in England.

£64 does seem a lot for 1 of each CD, LP, DVD. That is the Badlands price, Amazon will be cheaper and hopefully Greedy Hand cheaper still. Over here G.H. is the cheapest for Rust Bucket, yes I've used them for my order. The roll out for Rust Bucket can't be as bad as for Archives II can it? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

14. cass

cass Forum Resident

That does leave April open which is speculated as the release of Deja Vu 50th anniversary over in that thread. While there has been no definitive date announced, someone has found it for sale and the track list on a Swedish site:

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Deja Vu (50th Ann.) - (Vinyl LP + 4 CD) - musik

ET3311 likes this.
  15. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

A quick question on the series of Bootlegs arriving from May; will these be available everywhere or are they exclusive to NYA?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Unknown at the moment.

I’m excited for “Young Shakespeare” and more so for the Bootleg Series discs.

17. Bucko

Bucko Forum Resident

Just two months after the release of his seminal After the Gold Rush, Neil Young sat down for a performance at The Shakespeare Theater on January 22, 1971. The Stratford, CT show captures the artist stripped down to the bare essentials—acoustic guitar, piano, and harmonica.

The concert was recorded for presentation on German TV later that year but was not publicly available until now. The original 50 year-old analog tapes have been lovingly restored, making available early acoustic recordings of two After the Gold Rush songs, early Harvest tunes, and beloved favorites such as “Ohio,”

Young Shakespeare CD, LP & DVD
    Pre-order - released on: 3/26/2021

https://neilyoung.warnerrecords.com/

laf848, DmitriKaramazov, Sean and 6 others like this.
  18. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Yeah. Just read the latest comments about this release (Shakespeare). Imagine if this came out when it should have (some time in the 1990s like about half or more of the archival releases he's getting to in the 2010s to now). This would be a classic release with memories and skin in the game. We'd have endless reverential posts and threads about it here at SHF. Now we're supposed to get all excited about a once in a blue moon type archival release when we've just gotten about 100 in a small amount of time. I'm actually burnt out on Neil a bit because of all this music he's releasing.
    Also, my interest in hearing any more live Goldrush to Harvest era Neil has completely disappeared, just heard too much of it, the same damn tunes played well over and over.
    Having said that I will enjoy this release on Spotify a couple times, probably.
    This stuff should have come out in the 1990s.

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

$69 from Bull Moose. I’m in.

Mbd77 likes this.
  20. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I was listening to Philadelphia from the 99 Tour, such a great song, which is inexplicably missing on NYA I it's studio form. Bring on a 99 Tour PS release.

Sigma6 and anth67 like this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

On Neil's site, buying the DVD, CD and vinyl separate is cheaper than buying the DELUXE.
    Only Neil.

And it makes the $100 for After the Gold Rush LP & CD even more unreal when he can
    now charge $70 for a DVD, CD, and LP.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

Yes! He also he did ”Slowpoke” and ”Looking Forward” live at that time, and they are a) incredible songs and b) much better than the studio versions. I heard these on a DVD back then. I think it was a ”Silver & Gold Live” kind of thing, an official release.

I would SURE like a PS release from 1999!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I noticed that too and was thinking they must come in a pretty fancy box!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Anyone purchased vinyl from Greedy Hand? Do they do a good, secure job with the packaging to prevent damage during shipping? I’m in 100% for the LP and CD along with the complimentary 24/192 hi-res that comes with it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Tuscaloosa, Colorado, and Homegrown arrived safely. Just took a little while longer to arrive than I'm used to. I've been finding deals from other places to order from since.

Matthew Tate likes this.