Neil Young - Archives Vol. 1: 8 CD's, 2 DVD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Going by the 'Decade' compilation, I doubt we'll see any audio or video from Buffalo Springfield that doesn't feature him. For that set, it didn't even matter if he wrote the song. If he wasn't the singer, it didn't go on. At least this time he has the demo of "Nowaday's Clancy Can't Even Sing" to use. Hopefully he's got a demo or unreleased take of "On The Way Home" to use (that one was "Telephone Line" when the group recorded it, right? I forget if that was a demo - in which case Neil would likely have recorded a guide vocal, or just the official take/backing track without the horns?)...

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just what I was thinking and I'm over 10 years ahead of you. Heck, the way things are going, we might be dead by the time this first one comes out.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

screw this whole *archives* thing and just release "time fades away" and "journey through the past" and be done with it already.

renny

4. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I'd be happy with Time Fades Away alone!

5. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll New Member

I'd be happy if Neil put out better sounding versions of the, "Time Fades Away" songs. But as far as the Archives are going, he has been quoted as saying that they're in, "technical production". I'm confident that box one will be out by the end of the year.

6. Mike D'Aversa

:yawn:

7. Neotomic

Neotomic New Member

yeah the it would be great just to release time fades away and journey through the past, but the only thing I want it for is that there is supposed to be his greatest album Homegrown on it

8. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Despite a few soundboard Buffalo Springfield tapes floating around, Neil decided NONE of it was good enough for the BS box set, and repeated sequenced studio songs for the 4th disc. If he suddenly coughs up live Springfield for his box set, and his songs at that, I'll (and other Springfield fans) will feel a bit betrayed. (BTW, Owsley Stanley recorded many Grateful Dead gigs and their co-acts, and at least one Shrine Aud night was the Springfield. Where was this tape when the box was assembled??)

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If he cared about his fans, he'd never reissue Journey Through the Past again. I own it on vinyl out of a sense of duty, but I've listened to all four sides in order exactly once. If the studio ouutakes on the Archives are as boring as those on Journey Through the Past, the Archives ain't gonna do too well.

On the other hannd, the absence of Time Fades Away from the catalog borders on the criminal.

10. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Well, I've always thought it was criminal for Neil to release a BS box set and leave some of the gems on their final album, Last Time Around, off it, just because he didn't have a hand in that album and didn't like some of the other's songs included on it. I think it was "In The Hour of Not Quite Rain" that was most glaring...

To leave some stuff off one of their three original releases and then have a fourth disc which repeats tracks from the first two discs was pure, spiteful heresy... AND there was even space left on these four discs to include all the BS tracks... Neil really showed a shallow side with this release...

If Soldier is on the Archives, than JTTP will be pretty much obsolete...

However, as many fans here have stated, Time Fades Away needs a proper, FULL Cd release w/ the classic 73 B side LTTT, and soon, as we are ALL getting older and this whole archive delayed thing is getting a bit past unfunny into insulting.

NY rant mode off...

I need to go spin the vinyl of No Hidden Path to chill... :agree:

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Has anyone seen the recent discounted "Tonight's The Night" vinyl LP. I found one sealed for $5.99 mixed in with the new releases; they're also cheap on Ebay. What's up with that?

12. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

"Soldier" is included on "Decade".

By the way,Neil's excuse for not releasing "Time Fades Away" on CD,is his claim that the original mixes for "Time Fades Away" were done directly to the cutting lathe,and that there's no mixdown master tape.I say,big deal:then do new mixes from the multitracks,and and make the mixes and edits as close to the original L.P. as possible.

13. Mike D'Aversa

How many times does this have to be said? Neil regrets/dislikes the release of the original version 'Times Fade Away'. This is why the original version will never see issue on cd, nor anywhere else. We all just have to let it go/live with the excellent/unreleased HDCD bootleg, which was nixed for this very reason...

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

There was actually some principle behind excluding those Last Time Around tracks. I'm pretty sure his thinking was that the songs he excluded weren't actually Buffalo Springfield songs because they were recorded after the group "officially" disbanded in May 1968. Richie and Jimmy created Last Time Around after the breakup. So no "Carefree Country Day" and no "In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain". He seems to have made a couple exceptions though. I'm pretty sure that "Kind Woman" was done without either Stills or Young after the breakup. I assume that he knew better than to exclude "Kind Woman". The Stills songs on Last Time Around aren't "Buffalo Springfield" songs either. Aside from "Pretty Girl Why", they are essentially solo songs, as was Neil's "I Am A Child".

If my theory is true, then he probably made a mistake with "Carefree Country Day" since Stills is on it, thus dating it prior to the end of the group. I'd make a case for "In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain" because of the novelty of having a contest winner write the lyrics to a Buffalo Springfield song.

I don't think Neil considers Last Time Around to be a Buffalo Springfield album at all, but he included songs from it because they were so undeniably good. He obviously thought it was okay to include only the demo of "Four Days Gone" and not also the released track, which I think was a big mistake. I'm sure he'd say something about the demo having the "feel" or whatever.

I'm not defending any of this. I think the way that box set is put together is bizarre. Fortunately, it has so many good new songs on it that I don't worry about the flaws. My point is that there was a principle at work, even if it was unevenly executed. I don't think there was any pettiness about the decisions.

15. Mike D'Aversa

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003799850

Neil Young To Release Archive On Blu-Ray

Neil Young plans to release his entire music archive on Blu-ray discs, a sign that the discs' capabilities are building appeal among musicians as well as movie studios.

Blu-ray discs hold much more data than DVDs, are easily updated over the Internet and offer better picture and sound quality.

Young revealed his plans Tuesday at a Sun Microsystems Inc. conference in San Francisco. Santa Clara-based Sun makes the Java technology that gives Blu-ray discs their interactive menus and ability to accept updates over an Internet connection.

The first installment of Young's archive will cover the years 1963 to 1972 and will be released as a 10-disc set this fall on Reprise/Warner Bros. Records.

Young said the archives will be released chronologically and include some previously unreleased songs, videos, handwritten manuscripts and other memorabilia, in addition to the high-resolution audio that Blu-ray technology is known for.

Fans can download more content like songs, photos and tour information directly to the Blu-ray discs as the content becomes available.

Blu-ray's rival format HD DVD effectively died with maker Toshiba Corp.'s announcement in February that it will no longer produce HD DVD players.

Most of the Blu-ray discs manufactured so far have been used for high-definition movies.

Musical artists such as AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen and Destiny's Child released concert videos on Blu-ray discs, but Young's support of the technology for his ambitious archive project demonstrates more fully the capabilities of Blu-ray as a music medium.

Earlier technology didn't offer the ability to browse archive material while listening to songs in high-resolution audio, Young noted.

"Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises," he said in a statement. "I am glad we waited and got it right."

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.