Neil Young - Archives Vol. 1: 8 CD's, 2 DVD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Anything that puts more Randy Newman on the shelves is fine by me!

2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

:righton:

If only more people were like you!

Hope this Neil Young set sells well for him...

Jeff

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I wonder how much Mynah Birds stuff Neil can use on the Archives? They recorded 15 or 16 tracks and IIRC Neil only co-wrote one or two songs.

4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I hope thats all he uses. I don't think I'd want to listen to the Mynah Birds very often.

5. Chris M

What did you think of It's My Time on the Complete Motown box?

6. Chris M

Very well said. I'd love it if the box consisted of remastered editions of s/t, EKTIN, ATGR, Harvest as well as outtakes, demos and live tracks.

7. Bud Shaver

Bud Shaver New Member

8. Chris M

Unbelievable. That made me tear up a little too. Looks like it's really going to happen. That footage of the Harvest sessions is fascinating.

9. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

I can't wait! Love the footage with Stills & Crosby. :D

10. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I still don't believe this is coming out this year, or at all. He's teased us before

11. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Dunno, it looks like the real deal to me. :thumbsup:

12. Bud Shaver

Bud Shaver New Member

I can understand your cynicism but I will not let common sense prevent me from thinking it is really going to happen this time.

There seems to be too much effort and information put into this trailer to think he would pull the rug out from under his fans again. I would much rather devote my disappointment towards speculating the release date for future volumes of the archives or the long-awaited Beatles remasters.

13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I'm more hopeful than ever, but I won't truely belive it until I'm holding it in my hands!

That being said, the Massey Hall show comes out this Tuesday!

14. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I won't believe it until I have gotten it, opened it, played it and then complained about what was left off!

15. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

There's shots of Massey Hall at start, does this mean that as we feared, both archives will be again present on the archive? So it's more like 6 CD. Anyway the day I'll get this in my hand, hell will have frozen over!

16. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I now believe this will definitely be released this year or next. I allow for the possibility of 2008, because I've seen too many media products that state a release, no more specific than a particular fiscal quarter of the year, get delayed before. Don't give me "coming in 2007". Give me a month a date that you have to invest at least a little money into ahead of time. Not like that alone costs enough to prevent a delay, but it at least becomes a consideration...

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

nothing to fear mate. i'm just assuming it will be included and i'll put off buying it until i know for sure.

18. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

:agree:

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

You said it man. That footage was just too much. The "Alabama" vocal overdubs with Crosby & Stills were just too cool. Stills looked like the guy in Buffalo Springfield with his cowboy hat. I think "The Loner" is from The Riverboat. Whether or not it gets released this year, I no longer doubt that it WILL be released eventually.

20. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

21. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

I wonder what this set will cost. I have to start saving up...
    -George

22. endeavor08

endeavor08 New Member

o to live on sugar mountain i like neil

23. Chris M

Any Neil experts want to guess what will be on Archives Vol. 1? Here's what I came up with. The chronology may be off..

Disc 1 - Squires, Mynah Birds, '65 Elektra demo, etc.
    Disc 2 - Springfield era demos, outtakes
    Disc 3 - Riverboat stuff
    Disc 4 - first album demos, outtakes, stuff with Nitschke, etc.
    Disc 5 - ETIN and ATGR outtakes
    Disc 6 - Live at Fillmore East
    Disc 7 - Massey Hall
    Disc 8 - Harvest outtakes, War Song, Solider

24. The definition of compressed to me is: Reduction of dynamics to increase overall (average) level of volume.

That was done to Greatest Hits, and it is quite obvious when you directly compare the CD with the DVD (the latter is not compressed). By itself, the CD of Greatest Hits certainly doesn't sound bad, but the DVD sounds much better to me, and this is mainly due to the not present compression and not due to the resolution increase (the resolution also matters, but the compression has a much bigger influence).

Of course I will buy the box, I am really excited to see/hear it. I just hope the CD mastering is not compressed like some of his other recent releases.

25. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Also remember that all the officialy released songs will be included,
    in chronological order, so all the songs from "Neil Young", "Everybody Knows
    This is Nowhere", "After the Goldrush" and "Harvest" will be on the box along
    with outtakes, demos etc.

3 live-shows. Riverboat, Fillmore and Massey Hall.

(This is based on what Neil has said in interviews up through the years.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.