Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Introducing 200% Sound.

200% Sound sounds TWICE AS GOOD as the best sound you will ever hear.

Because it's not 1995 anymore.

200% Sound. It's not rocket science. ®

frogfog, ARK, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

have you, by any chance, checked out the prices that "original album series 8.5 - 12" are going for right now? borderline sinful....if there were ever a reason to release TFA that alone should do it. unless of course, neil young owns a piece of ebay.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm glad TFA isn't in Archives 2. We have enough previously released music in it. Also, in the last few years I've bought the HD download, vinyl reissue, and CD (in the OAS) box. So I got me a lotta TFA.

goodboyfred, Sean, JeffMo and 3 others like this.
  4. Suvestant

Suvestant Well-Known Member

But what if the market research concludes it's not even close to worth it to release it on hi res disc?

5. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

I don't collect or play CDS anymore. So this looking like a digital release for me. Even though I still collect vinyl, I don't think I could afford what a true vinyl box could possibly cost...would be fun if he made like a super limited batch of vinyl boxes though.

Sean, Toddarino and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

This is what I was thinking as well.

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Literally no one asked them for the whole timeline thing on the blu rays, and I probably looked through that thing once, and not even that thoroughly. What a pain in the butt. I just want to play songs and watch videos, not scroll down Neil's artistic journey through life. The website makes much more sense if you want to do that. The only reason I would want blu ray now is for 192/24, and for the large amount of storage space. He could have fit the entire box on one disc fer crissakes.

GregK, aroney, jumpinjulian and 2 others like this.
  8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Neil is not entirely inflexible.
    There was a lot of comment/complaining about that lack of portability if you were going to purchase the blu-ray/dvd box of Vol. 1.
    The call was for an mp3 download code to be added to those boxes, which was the anti-thesis of releasing it in high quality at the time yet Neil eventually relented.

If you go read the NYA Vol. 1 entry on Wiki, it mentions some of the extras offered by Warners.
    Id suspect with Neil, trying to run his own shop, he would offer something extra to buy it directly from him, versus WB, versus the independent brick and mortar/online retail outlets.

I'd highly encourage Neil to put out a little something extra to help the independent brick and mortars, as he's always seemed open to supporting RSD.

And not for nothing, if Neil did that, he'd probably end up pissing a lot of us off!
    NYA store version has a bonus live comp disk (maybe even a taste of one of those bootleg series disks).
    The independent retailers get an outtake disk of studio stuff. Warners gets the old vinyl 45 single, and the Amazons, Target chains et al, just get the small box standard version.

Then again, you may get nothing extra....(and like it) :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Ok..so Rizla papers or a cap? :sigh:

citizensmurf likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Just checking in. Did Neil cancel it yet?

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Not yet.

Soon though.

:hide:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I think Vol. 1 is charming, particularly the very early stuff, but I don't need the big physical set with the book. Think I'll stick with the cut down CD version (if that appears) for Vol. 2
    Very unbelievable because I *just* saw the Time Fades Away standalone reissue (Archives-branded Official Release Series vinyl) in a record store yesterday afternoon

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm thinking about recording it to cassette or reel to reel from NYA.

seriously.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nice, but CD? but you knew that didn't you? :)

bobcat likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it was released on cd. but you knew that, didn't you?

Sean, noname74 and ralphie like this.
  17. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly.

ARK, tug_of_war and Sean like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no it was not, not by itself....but you knew that. didn't you :)

bobcat likes this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Never been released as a stand alone on cd, this is clearly what they are referring to.

bobcat and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

stop harshing my buzz

21. Exactly as I thought, all of Homegrown, Tonight's The Night Live and Tuscaloosa included. I'll pass for the same reason as I passed last time round, I'm not going to pay money again for things I bought only a few years ago.

John D., Sean, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Okay it's clear now but that wasn't apparent from the immediate context. And I've been doing my best to keep up on this/these thread(s). It's also streaming as a standalone, and probably available for purchased download too if anybody without a turntable wants to own the digital version without buying anything else

This goes back to my point about people raising a stink over their preferred format/lineup not being collected, and consequently transferring second-hand stink on what they ARE getting

23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

You’re going to miss out on all that bonus material instead of just selling those three CDs?

ARK, tug_of_war, Efus and 6 others like this.
  24. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’d absolutely pick up a vinyl release of both of the archive sets. I have a friend or two who wouldn’t mind having stand alone releases that would be doubled up in the sets.

25. Yes, I've lived happily for 11 years without Archive Vol. 1 and will live happily without this as well.