Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Fair enough but doesn't sound like you were likely to buy it in the first place.

ARK, tug_of_war, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I suppose you think you can live happily without Pono too? And a Linc Volt? And CSNY reunion? And an expanded 'Everybody's Rockin'? And a 5.1 Mix of 'Weld'? And the isolated backing track from 'Florida'?

sure, sure you can...

3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

this again?

ARK, Efus and four sticks like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

relax and don't cause a problem that simply is not there.

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

The official “Time Fades Away” cd was released via the official box set, but there’s also an ‘unofficial’ factory pressed cd which is taken from the hi-res master that was released in the last year or so that’s still quite readily available in Japan and is in no way lesser quality than the official release either in sound or presentation. It has the disc label in Spanish and is in a jewel case.

Comment is for information purposes only.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ARK, Sean, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's always the case for the major labels. So license it to Acoustic Sounds or whatever.

I lived happily for about 45 years before Vol 1 came out, and when it did I thought the blu-ray set was the greatest archival release ever, and should be a prototype for all artists looking to release their archives.

That's cute, but the blu-ray (192/24) sounded superior to the CDs on my system at least. Either you're interested in optimizing the sound or you're not.

7. If he had skipped the previously released material and made the box 3 discs shorter and cheaper I would have certainly considered a purchase.

Stone Turntable, Mr-Beagle and DTK like this.
  8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Knowing Neil he would sooner release a 5.1 mix of 'ARC' than 'Weld". :) ok - now back to your regular programming.

ARK and Sean like this.
  9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

CDs generally half full in this set?

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the label only lists 5 songs.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

It says right on there that it’s side A ;)

12. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

^ This.

Sean and DTK like this.
  13. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

By now my reputation for infuriating and tedious comments is pretty much set in stone. Too late to change now.

Some say the Ignore button was invented for the sole purpose of keeping me quiet. All should feel free to use it.

(If my opinion is right, it means the CD albums actually sound a lot better than we've been led to believe by Hi-Res hype. That strikes me as a positive thing).

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That guy here...Nightfly was recorded at 50kHz.

15. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Pretty sure nobody refers to a cd for a tracklist while the disc is playing. The tracks aren’t in Spanish either. :sigh: It’s just the image that was used for the disc.

Here’s the back cover, which I’d consider a much more useful place to have a tracklist. Lo and behold, they’re all there. :D

[​IMG]

ARK and EwaWoowa like this.
  16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Here’s something I’m wondering about . . . like many of you, I recently bought the standalone CD release of “Homegrown”, and personally, I love the art layout and design. It almost looks like it could be a classic 70’s LP, gatefold and all. I appreciate the easy to read 2 line track listing on the back cover. I wouldn’t want a thing changed.

On the CD version of “Archives, Vol. 1”, the front and rear artwork of all 8 CD’s shared a common art/design layout. The tracks listings were often hard to read on the back (I know, it’s a pet peeve of mine) and design-wise, no title really differentiated itself from another.

I would hate to have double dipped on not only Homegrown, but Roxy and Tuscaloosa as well, only to wind up with what I consider inferior artwork for those titles. Admittedly, Roxy and Tuscaloosa do share a near identical layout, but “Homegrown” I am very curious about. If it winds up being in “Volume 3”, “Hitchhiker” should be left alone also.

Either way, I guess I really just didn’t care for the design layout on the CD set of “Archives, Volume 1”. I hope that aspect is at least different and/or improved from what was produced on the earlier set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

50.4 kHz, but the point is it's not high res by today's standards.

18. I’ve been thinking that if there is a “standard” version of Volume 2 sold outside his web site they might use the Homegrown gatefold lay out format (which had all the musician and recording information)for all the non Performance Series discs and not have a book at all in that version.Guesswork and hypothesis entirely.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. street legal

street legal Senior Member

THAT would be perfect, I think.

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

When is the pre-order going up on the website?

This thread is much better than the other ‘Archives’ thread, by the way. :righton::laugh:

dockofthebay and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Disappointing (and crazy from a business perspective) if the CD box is only available from Neil’s website.

I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about the greedy hand store - from delayed shipments, poor customer service when items never arrive and credit cards being compromised. Not to mention shipping and taxes for us international customers.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

I have never heard of credit cards being compromised.
    Do you have a link for that?
    And Import taxes and duties are levied by your government.
    Go moan at them.

Efus and ET3311 like this.
  23. 16 October.

ARK, Mbd77 and ET3311 like this.
  24. nortoni

nortoni Surfer Joe

Target, check-in. Don’t forget.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Young Hype. I cant imagine theyd put this out and not have it available at other outlets.

Im good with cds. Good mastering is good mastering.

The last archive material I bought was Hitchhiker. Passed on Homegrown, Judy and the live Roxy. So this eases into my list as a good and smart purchase.

As crappy as this virus has been, we may see a very inner'esting year of boxsets with rarities etc from artists. ...Tracks 2, Bruce?..What else these guys got to do? Gotta make money since they aint tourin'

Listening to Archives 1 on Amazon HD as a primer. Ive always listened to the thing in spurts and never have heard it all.

In the middle of the Springfield demos. "Flying On The Ground Is Wrong". Love it. Pretty fun!

Matthew Tate, Efus and Biscuit1970 like this.