Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Those who ordered what is supposed to be this for insane low price from Target, as per pattern someone somewhere on one of this threads identified, middle of night Wed night they send out another "shipping delayed" email and if you don't go to site and agree to this your order will be cancelled.

I know there is no way in heck they will actually be delivering full archives II box at the price but the game is kind of fun now.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It only annoys me that I have to buy Homegrown again because I just bought it like a month ago. And it includes a few songs that were already available on other albums--like 'Little Wing.'

3. Volume 1 was the reason that I bought a Blu-ray player back then. Not kidding. Neil's arguments at the time convinced me that this was the better format over DVD, with the menus etc.

Of course, I don't regret getting into Blu-ray, I do like the format. Would be cool to get volume 2 on Blu-ray also, same form factor as the original set.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    JoeRockhead, Sigma6, marcb and 4 others like this.
  4. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I've come around to being disappointed that about half of this box set is old news.

Are these archive sets for new fans or for his longtime, committed fans?
    For either, it's unsatisfying - new fans don't get complete albums and deep fans get 50% stuff they have had for years or stuff that is easily available elsewhere.
    I'd like some Zuma outtakes, alternate takes, song breakdowns, throw some complete gigs in - he rolls tape all the time.
    He is being so formal about these box sets and he is being so uptight about sharing warts and all, nuts and bolts Neil.

I bought the first Archives set on blu ray and felt that at least I have the most high def physical versions of those tracks from my favorite Neil period.
    Glad I have it.
    Buying this on CD, and I will, will be somehow deflating, but I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I just hope Neil won't change his mind again. I mean, he changed the content of this box so many times this year alone...and I'm so happy with what we're getting.

November can't come soon enough.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think we saw that coming, didn’t we?!

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i guess, but it is still sticks right in your throat, doesn't it?

Matthew Tate and pool_of_tears like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. pool_of_tears

True.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:evil::laughup:

Tom Daniels, ARK and Instant Dharma like this.
  11. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

I'd wait longer if it meant taking out the three discs of already released material and replacing them with three discs of other unreleased material.

12. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Yeah, but a longer wait, in this case, can mean decades... So I focus on the other 7 discs.

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

it’s like Desmond on “Lost” punching in the numbers in the hatch every 90 minutes

14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

He SHOULD do this, but won't. Or offer them for 2 seconds at inflated prices.

15. nortoni

nortoni Surfer Joe

yep. The Target deal, like the Xmas King Crimson downloads, is the yummy stuff we get by sticking to this forum.

16. Selling CDs is next to impossible in the Netherlands, even offering for free doesn't work anymore. I'm stuck with plenty of discs I would have sold long ago if anybody would want to pay for them.

marcb and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

What CDs would you like to get rid of? :shh:

Matthew Tate and ARK like this.
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Happy times. So unreal! Dunno if it's been covered, but: Tonight's The Night Disc 3 - which version is that? Is it the Briggs cut or...?

19. The released version with a few unreleased tracks.The Briggs cut was lost/wiped but earlier this year Neil posted they were trying to put it back together.Not for this though.

20. pool_of_tears

Sorry. I did not know that. You could try the classifieds, here. Not saying what to do. Only trying to help :)

Matthew Tate and ARK like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

If they know which takes and raps were used, why not go back to the multitrack tapes and remix it? That could be an option.

22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Me too. I'm happy I bought the blu-ray player, but I'd even be happier if he released Archives II on blu-ray.
    And it's all about MY happiness!
    :--)

JoeRockhead likes this.
  23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I saw a show on the Greendale tour. Too bad they aren't putting the "encores" on these discs/LPS. The show I saw had about 1 hour of classic Neil with Crazy Horse after the Greendale "show".

25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There’s always the Bonnaroo soundboard/pro-shot:

ARK likes this.