Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

That’s interesting. He wasn’t in a good place. It seemed that he was in a worse place after Neil told him to “eat a peach”. But maybe that was enough for Stills to show up with his tail between his legs at the CN show that brought them back together later in the year.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Ken Viola like this.
  2. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

And if CN aren't for it, maybe Richie Furay is available... :D

csnfan and Chief like this.
  3. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Sad Movies, Country Home and Last Dance are the ones missed the most by me. Sad Movies is one of my fav NY solo compositions. Although apart from that what is included exceeds my expectations by a long way.

4. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

Neil apparently knew SS was strong enough at that point to go on. Stephen treated Neil badly in the beginning of BS yet was such an inspiration to him when they first met in Canada. Later they resolved their relationship, I'm sure the Stills/Young thing played a part.

Chief likes this.
  5. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I ordered the March release. I did get the email for the 139 Hi Res files this weekend.

6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i would like a come along and say you will live version too.

Catbirdman likes this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Which means that - for whatever reason - both (1) and (2) have happened. Hmm.

8. jkaw

jkaw Well-Known Member

I bought the deluxe box set that's going to be shipped next year (that is, not the first pressing that quickly sold out). I got the links in the mail and my subscription up and running, but the downloads started to crap out right before I got to the Odeon Budokan tracks. Anyone else having this problem? My internet's working fine.

I'm a librarian/archivist so I immediately start making lists. The big thing that annoyed lots of people I know (including me) about the Archives Vol. I still holds true with this Vol. II: like Decade, it mixes in the previously unreleased with the released. But it seems to take that to the next level, with alternate versions of On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, and Zuma, i.e. Tonight's the Night (1973), Walk On, and Dume, respectively. This approach is appropriate, as it puts the the unreleased tracks in context. But not having the full original releases makes it hard to put the larger context back together again.

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Stop using i-tunes

AZRunner, Denaz, ARK and 3 others like this.
  10. cass

cass Forum Resident

I said this earlier in the thread, but with Young's stature nowadays looking back it's easy to see it as Young helping Stills. But back then out of the quartet in 1975 Young had done the worst with the lowest charting albums in the mid 20's and the first year with no US Gold records (Zuma was certified Gold in 1997), while C&N had gone gold and top 5. (Stills didn't go Gold but was top twenty, top ten on the Record World chart). So maybe it was more about getting back to that level of success and seeing that the C&N duo was doing that, it was the logical step to join with Stills, especially if you can't get the whole quartet (which they tried).

There's a recent Joe Vitale interview from Rolling Stone about his career and he mentions the Stills-Young tour. He says that Young and Stills individually were big, but together they could really sell out the massive arenas. So I think reuniting with Stills was a calculated move to get back to the level of success Young was accustomed to, more than helping out an old friend. Realistically when has Young thought about anything but what he wants to do (not in a negative way, that attitude was required for the music he put out). But I doubt it was to help anyone else but himself.
    Drummer Joe Vitale on His 50-Year Saga With CSNY, Joe Walsh, the Eagles, and John Lennon

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Catbirdman, csnfan, Chief and 2 others like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

are you commenting on the cds or high rez downloads?

12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

you're right. i should use the music app on my mac instead.

ET3311 likes this.
  13. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

I was having a lot of trouble with itunes a few years ago and switched to Music Bee and I love it. It's extremely customizable and I have zero playback issues.

ARK likes this.
  14. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

iTunes isn't the issue.

What stinks is SRS Homegrown and Vol. 2 disc 7 are identical.

It may have softened the feeling of buying the same thing twice if they would have stuck to the original plan of presenting Homegrown on Vol. 2 in chronological order with the other tracks on disc 6. Add a few more missing tracks and you have two full discs.

adamos, Boswell, bobcat and 4 others like this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I read there’s 12 previously unreleased tracks, does this refer to studio cuts? I’m interested in hearing the “new” songs that haven’t been released before. Are they scattered throughout the collection?

16. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

1976 ? Richie wasn't with Poco then.

17. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Neil Young Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 - Wikipedia

Matthew Tate, Porkpie and ET3311 like this.
  18. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Re: The Stills Young Band. Did Neil really care enough to follow the dollar? This was the guy that followed a No 1 album Harvest with a Soundtrack that bombed and followed that with the ditch trilogy. He was happier in the underdog situation just doing what he wanted to do. Stills Young followed in the wake of a failed CSNY reunion that wasn’t going the way he wanted it to. He must have been getting on with Stills for a while to ditch Crosby and Nash and to then go on a tour. Something made him quit on Stills but getting together with him had nothing to do with $ or he’d have stuck with it longer. Wasn’t there a quote attributed to NY along the lines of “Funny how some things that start out spontaneous end that way too”? He just needed to move on from CSNY to SYB and then as quickly go back to being a solo artist. It’s the way he is. Spontaneous. He knows deep down he has the talent to survive and come back stronger. And so do his former band mates. They knew his talent outstretched their own and they knew that being associated with him in the mid seventies and beyond helped their careers. Therefore I say Stills was using Young more than the other way around.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I was talking about the HD downloads. I ordered the "retail" version, which won't arrive in physical form until March. These HD files (playing through my Pono) will do just fine until then.

ARK likes this.
  20. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

+´White Line 75

21. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

Ocean Girl is probably the worst song Neil had come up since his demo tape in 1965. Goodness gracious is that a bad song. And that wah-wah guitar, just gross.

Yorick and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m back listening to the Stills-Young Separate Ways again and it is truly spectacular

23. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

He sounded like he was having a rough day, that much is certain.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

Love that version.

RiRiIII and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

The first thought that came to mind when I heard this was "even Neil was not immune to cheesy 70s yacht rock". There's a touch of this sound on "Midnight on the Bay" as well, but it's nowhere nearly as blatant. My second thought was "no wonder it was an outtake".