Neil Young – Archives Volume II: 1972–1976 (20th Nov 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smurr1958, Jun 22, 2020.

1. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

The box looks great. I loved the Vol. 1 set, it really felt special.

And it'll definitely spell "Neil Y" now at least! So even when he does inevitably change the text/font/wording (when Vol. 2.5 is released) it'll mean something. :)

2. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

Wow, never thought I'd see the day!
    Tracklisting has me drooling....
    Can't wait to hear studio versions of Traces.
    Too bad that there is no video component. The mixed media format certainly makes volume 1 a much more immersive experience imho.
    Now, I eagerly await the tracklist of the Deja Vu set...

ET3311 likes this.
  3. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

If it's only going to be available from NYA - is that a US only store or is there an equivalent UK outlet?

I can see that the store link from NYA says that International Orders over $100 are free shipping, but then there is the spectre of being walloped for import / duty charges on top of that.

richierichie and sonnyrock like this.
  4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Off topic, but related-it seems to me that the much heralded “death of the CD” has been a bit premature— at least as far as archival material by legacy artists is concerned.
    There’s so much coming out in the short term and so much more projected to come out in 2021, that manufacturing plants should be humming at least a few more years.

And this is a good thing.

tms766, ARK, steelinYaThighs and 6 others like this.
  5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

One of the worst press releases I've read. Is it on a CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray - what?

Sigma6 likes this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It isn’t a press release, it’s just a reveal of the tracklist from NYA. It’ll also be CD only.

Hep Alien, Efus and aphexj like this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

OK that is splitting hairs there. Press release, announcement, whatever, it's pretty poor.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Official announcement is set for October 16th. We get a decade in the waiting track reveal and you’re calling it “one of the worst press releases”. I’m not splitting hairs, just setting you straight.

9. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Ha ha, yes, exactly. If you are determined to stand by your no-repurchase policy that is. Good luck!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

Does anyone know which songs, among the new releases are in the studio, with CSN or with Crazy Horse?

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Spacer22

Spacer22 Forum Resident

Wow, this is really great news! I thought this would be postponed forever.

I'm psyched about the song list. Lots of things on it that I didn't expect, like that version of Raised on Robbery. Here's what an article in Pitchfork has to say about it:

Mitchell’s music became more intricate and refined as the ’70s progressed, but she attempted something much rawer when she dropped in on Neil Young’s tequila-soaked Tonight's the Night sessions in 1973. “One night Joni Mitchell came in and did ‘Raised on Robbery’ in the most sexy and revealing version that song ever had,” Young wrote in Waging Heavy Peace. “She still refuses to let me release it. I don’t know what she was thinking when she joined us and sang the song. It kicks ass. What the **** was that about? It was funkier than anything she has ever cut. A total gem!” Unfortunately for us, this rave review is all we have to go on: the recording has never been bootlegged. Perhaps Neil will convince Joni to let him include the tune on the next volume of his Archives project.

---

So yeah, that has me really curious! But for all the nitpickers out there, are there songs you wish were included but are not? One song I can think of off hand is "Barefoot Floors." which I believe was written in this time period. A Neil version has never been bootlegged, but Nicolette Larson released a version many years later, so we have an idea of what it's like:

12. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Are we going to have to subscribe to NYA to have the chance of getting one of these? It is going to be a big hit for us European collectors for postage and import duty as it is if there is no mainstream retail outlet who might get the price down even a little.

richierichie likes this.
  13. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Neil claims Barefoot Floors was recorded partially, but never completely finished. Perhaps if we write him it will show up on NYA as a demo? Nah. Probably wishful thinking there.

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
  14. ET3311

A fan wrote a letter asking Neil to just leave empty spaces/slots in the box for albums that were previously released. He didn't shoot that idea down. Many people like this idea. Very many pros with little to cons.

I, for one, only buy vinyl copies so when the Archives set is released having the albums on CD format doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

There seems to be a few threads covering this, but I am sure that I read in one of them that the deluxe version with the big book will be a NYA exclusive. A later release with a booklet instead of the book will be available to retailers......don't quote me on that though...not sure what the source was.

16. ET3311

No source - only speculation.

ARK likes this.
  17. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Well maybe the deluxe edition with the big book might not be absolutely essential. On my blu ray box of Archive 1 you can't get the book out without damaging the very flimsy cardboard holder.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

price point?

my guess - somewhere between $100 - $150

ARK, dockofthebay and ET3311 like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

do you think young will release this to spotify and the other streaming sites?

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think they are massively declining among dedicated music fans and collectors, mostly aged around 35 and up. I know a couple of people who don't buy them much anymore, but most who bought them all along still are.

Of course, in the mainstream they are plummeting, but still sell very well to K-Pop fans who are almost all young. CDs won't die out anywhere near completely anytime soon.

21. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

It happened with volume 1.

aphexj likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This box looks very interesting, I only own Homegrown from it and that's on vinyl. I didn't get Archives 1 but this is tempting. I doubt I'll be able to afford it though. Sadly it'll probably be what I did with Archives 1. A friend downloaded it for free and I have CD-Rs of the unreleased stuff. It's not something I'm comfortable with or particularly agree with, but we both buy loads of new vinyl and CDs and much prefer owning stuff.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    smokeverbs and ted321 like this.
  23. For the release of The Times last week Neil made streaming exclusive to Amazon for the first 3 months after release.Then it will appear on other streaming sites.I would have to go back to the Contrarian to confirm but I’m sure he wrote this would be happening with all his future releases.
    On top of that the non Performance Series discs from Volume 1 do not appear on Spotify.

24. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

I'm willing to pay the import tax to UK for this if required....

It can go alongside my "Neil Young Signature Edition" Pono in my collection of "things I've lied about the price of to my wife". :-D

Oh the cost of being a Neil Young fan. I'm such a mug.

25. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

With the Original Series 5 to 8 & 8.5 to 12 sets it was cheaper to buy them from the US and have them shipped to the UK, including paying import tax, than it was buying them from either Amazon UK or HMV. Warner’s UK was incredibly greedy with these sets.

dockofthebay likes this.