Neil Young - Cellar Door

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirie, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirie

dirie Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seems to be another Archive-release on it's way. Titled "Cellar Door" it's due for release on the 6th of September. The LP can be found at jpc in Germany and at Amazon. No list of the tracks is given.

On http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young/1970/cellar-door-washington-dc-13d11555.html there is a concert listed that Neil played on the 30th of November in 1970 at the Cellar Door in Washington. Maybe it's that?

Fred1970 likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I caught ya knockin' at my cellar door... you never know with Neil.

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

"Cellar Door" isn't that considered the most aesthetically beautiful phrase in the English language?

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I recently watched a "You Bet Your Life" where one of the contestants was named "Cellar Door" for this very reason. Needless to say Groucho had a few comments to make.

Since this date doesn't fit chronologically into Archives 2 is it safe to buy it without fearing that he'll make us buy it again?

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Keep in mind we don't actually know that's what it is; it's just an educated guess. But look at it this way: even if it does turn up on Archives II, that could be a decade or more yet. Might as well get this tidbit now!

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It may also be one of those E.U. semi-legal/grey-area releases that are available via legitimate retailers. I believe there is some loophole that pre-1973 (or so) live recordings of non-E.U. performers can be released in the E.U. Feel free to chime in if this correct or not.

jsayers likes this.
  7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, i'd say it's a bootleg of the cellar door performance from 1970, and not an official release.

jsayers likes this.
  8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

9. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

More Neil Young archival stuff is always a good thing in my book. Bring it on.

stef1205 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Enough with Neil offering these audio crumbs to his fans.
    Bring on Time Fades Away in SACD!!

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love Groucho and You Bet Your Life. Neil's pretty good too.

12. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Neil played six shows at the Cellar Door in 1970, tapes of which have long rumoured to exist in Neil's Vaults. http://www.sugarmtn.org/getshowsgrid.php?tour_key=105&flag=2. IIRC these setlists were provided by Joel Bernstein, Neil's archivist.

I had assumed they had been passed over in favour of the other early acoustic shows already released.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm happy with any archive release. At least we know he's at least thinking about it. Do we have any archive release yet that would contain anything that would be considered for Archives II? I guess I'll be happier when I can see he's interested in going back to that period.

14. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Sugar Mountain's still showing these shows as "not recorded" so no tape is circulating amongst collectors. http://www.sugarmtn.org/getshows_recordings.php?tour_key=105&flag=3, its possible a bootlegger has got hold of copies of the tapes, but unlikely, there haven't been any leaks from Neil's camp for 20 years now.

15. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I'm in although I did pass on the Psychedelic Pill LP.

16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I will expect this when I actually have it in my hands and take the plastic wrap off. Actually this being Neil Young I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't an actual disc inside so I won't expect anything until I hit the play button.

17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

See the Sky About to Rain on Archves Vol. 1 Disc 6 - (subtitled Topanga 3), recorded at the Cellar Door. an edit of Dec. 1 and Dec. 2. so he recorded at least 2 shows.

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Maybe the Cellar Door tracks are less than CD-length worth of usable material, and therefore will be released only as downloads, and on LP (for the collectors).

http://home.roadrunner.com/~thrasherpass/NYArchives/timeline.html#cellar

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Downloads? C'mon Neil, release a disc.

20. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

Thanks for the quote, Claude, that's what I was thinking of too - Neil has already exhausted all of the placeholders in the Archives vol 1 timeframe, so a physical Cellar Door release seems unlikely. Certainly curious, though!

I suppose it could end up being some greatest hits repackaging with a line from "Needle" as the title. :laugh:

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

if it is an archives release, then it's going to screw up the numbering...

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I hope not. But hey, I haven't been to Hot Topic lately...

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

also, i want to add... and i feel terrible for admitting this. but i hope this isn't a legitimate release. i want neil to release something else from later in the 70s, or something from the 80s instead. i have enough (official) live versions of these songs.

GregK and jsayers like this.
  24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

This could be great news, haha

25. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

All the 6 shows(30th November,1,2 Dec.1970) were recorded by Henry Lewy for a planned double album combined with the electric songs at the Fillmore East. The Cellar Door were 8-track recordings. It's likely that some multitracks from these concerts still survive . Most of the original reels from these shows were shown at The Visit To The Archives(2000, Neil.Young.com). Some of the master logs are also listed in the Archives Book. The Neil Young Archives have all the 2 tracks from these shows. Sugar Mountain by Tom Hambleton takes his information from the Ghost on The Road(Pete Long), which sources are provided by Joel Bernstein. Neil promised the release of this record in Waging Heavy Peace, so this is really a great news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.