Neil Young & Crazy Horse: New 2019 studio album “Colorado”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I just heard about the documentary film their doing on the making of Colorado. A now Crazy or Horse records and a film? Life is good!

JoeRockhead, Sean and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Neil announced that a couple of weeks ago, plus no more touring for 2019, in order to focus mainly on films.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Any indication on who is going to manage Neil moving forward? Roberts was the guy who put all of his deals together -- if Neil has film projects on the horizon, someone has to be helping him.

Brian Lux likes this.
  4. Myke

I haven't read any names myself, no.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

New post yesterday on the Colorado album / movie / single:

A Message from Neil

"The first track from COLORADO, our next Crazy Horse album, is coming out this month. Billy, Ralphie, Nils and I are all very happy to bring this song ‘Rainbow of Colors’ to you in all its ragged glory, as my original producer and life-long friend, the late David Briggs once said. 10 new songs ranging from around 3 minutes to over 13 minutes, will be coming your way. We hope you love this new album as much as we do.

"I have been continuing our work on ‘Mountaintop Sessions’, the documentary film about the making of COLORADO. It is a wild one folks, no holds barred. You will see the whole process just as it went down! Worts and all! I don’t think a film about this subject with the openness and intensity we have captured has ever been seen. You can be the judge of that, because Shakey Pictures’ ‘Mountaintop Sessions’ masterfully shot by cinematographer C.K. Vollick, will be released in over 100 theaters world-wide the week our album COLORADO debuts, in October.

"Made for you in double Vinyl, (three sides plus a 7” exclusive two-sided single not on the album) will be released, along with CD and streaming versions of COLORADO."

6. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

its probably frank gironda

bonus and Heart of Gold like this.
  7. Myke

I'm betting this will be another @Chris B ellman cut ? :hugs:

Sean and Brian Lux like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wow, double vinyl with 7" non-album single? I say this without sarcasm: Neil certainly understands the wants of his record-buying audience these days!

Billy_Sunday and LarsO like this.
  9. Brian Lux

Good question. Eliot Roberts did such fine work. Definitely going to miss his influence on music.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Well... three sides. I'm a fan of either 2 or 4 sides personally. Why not just put the other two songs on the album then?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you think so?

i think eliot roberts held up a lot of neil young's work.

he was quite adamant about how many,and which, songs nash could use for the box set

supposedly he put the brakes on the buffalo springfield reunion

and it was his idea not release the albums in the last 2 box sets individually.

richierichie likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I'm not sure if Roberts was the predominant reason various projects were frequently delayed. A lot of it comes down to Neil, who can be very difficult, obsessive, and controlling. I don't think Roberts had that kind of influence over Neil. Neil told Roberts what he wanted, and Roberts tried to make it happen.

With respect to a new manager, Neil is not the kind of guy that can self-manage like other artists. He definitely needs a guy to man the phones and deal with the industry executives. He has to be working with someone.

Smokin Chains and Heart of Gold like this.
  13. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Is there any other kind of rainbow?

Bungo, Darrin L., ARK and 8 others like this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

You must be fun at poetry readings.

:p

Sean, surfling, LarsO and 4 others like this.
  15. Brian Lux

I don't think anyone has told Neil Young what to do that he didn't agree with. He's just not that kind of push-over guy. Yeah, no one's perfect, but I thought Eliot Roberts did great work.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  16. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

the credits to the visitor and paradox, his latest albums: "Direction - Elliot Roberts and Frank Gironda, Lookout Management".

JoeRockhead and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  17. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

whoever is doing his biz dealings has got to be a wizard to get 100 movie theaters to agree to show a documentary film about an lp that, let's be honest, will be lucky to sell 50,000 copies. I will be one of them, and if any of those theaters are in a half hour of me i'll be there for the movie too, but i suspect the theaters booking it will feel let down.

mrjinks and footlooseman like this.
  18. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I saw Trunk Show in Toronto, and while it wasn’t sold out, it was pretty packed.

19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Neil is becoming a master of the three-sided album it seems.

Sean, Efus and James Bennett like this.
  20. Myke

I'll take it over all the tracks being crammed onto one record.

Sean, aroney, Efus and 3 others like this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, I'm thinking nobody wants to see 34+/28+ sides like the original 1 lp Ragged Glory vinyl.

Although I will say the 3 sided deal bothers me as well.
    Neil could easily fill a fourth side of album with alternate takes/demos or additional live cuts depending on the release, instead of an etching.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Neil creates his music and the medium adapts to it, rather than vice versa.

The time limitations of a vinyl record can be a useful one, giving the artist a set framework to work within, but in the digital age it's a choice rather than a necessity. An album can be 5 minutes, 50 minutes or 500 minutes, without any need to fill up space.

ARK likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i believe you are mistaken, for years it was said that everyone had to go through eliot roberts to get to neil young, roberts supposedly had carte blanc to do what he felt to be the thing to do.

24. Brian Lux

I'm not going to play that "you're wrong, I'm right thing", but do you think Young would have stayed with Roberts all these years up to Robert's passing as someone who had total control over him? Over Neil Young? LOL.

In his biography, Young said, "Because I tend to avoid the confrontations and delivering bad news, I am not good at doing any of that... Elliot is. He knows how to communicate where I don’t … Just as I wake up every day with a new idea, he wakes up every day with a new approach to solving the problems that arise with the projects I am already immersed in. There are a lot of them. This is our pattern.” Does that mean Roberts "held up a lot of Neil Young's work" or that Young gave him "carte blanc"? Did Neil Young really do everything Roberts suggested just because he said it? I suppose it's a matter of interpretation.

And honestly, all I care about is that the end result has been great. There's nothing more I could ask for. To me, Neil Young's life work, including that with Elliot Roberts, is some of the best in all of music.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes. read nash's book.

roberts was the buffer, with total control, what do you get about that?

Brian Lux likes this.