Neil Young & Crazy Horse: New 2019 studio album “Colorado”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the only problem is "what will they play"?

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Horseback is on the Blu-Ray!

slipkid, footlooseman and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'll tell you a secret :shh:. The spook was David Briggs.

BNell, Hep Alien, Wild Frank and 6 others like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

No, it was good because of the long songs.

purple-lazy, ARK, GregK and 6 others like this.
  5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The only problem with Psychedelic Pill was “Driftin’ Back” - it just wasn’t long enough!

laf848, ARK, Sean and 10 others like this.
  6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Zuma

omikron, ARK, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  7. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Now your talking!

ARK, SmellTheHorse and footlooseman like this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man

setlistthief, omikron, ARK and 8 others like this.
  9. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

If you get enjoyment out of the Visitor, Peace Trail and the Monsanto Years then that’s great. I just don’t find a whole lot of need to revisit those often.

As long as you don’t yank me off the street and throw me in your limo, we can get along fine. I’d hate to spill my bourbon. (Way too many White Russians in a past life...)

Actuarybrad, Jack, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

My deep wish is to get one more great album from Neil.
    "Psychedelic Pill" and "Le Noise" I just loved start to finish (not to mention Hitchhiker)
    An album of that caliber from him now would be a dream come true.

11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a Neil Young thread here that doesn't degenerate into "his new stuff sucks/His new stuff is great" babbling.
    Why don't you all wait until you've heard the new NY/CH album before you make a judgment?

Sean, Fullbug, JoeRockhead and 2 others like this.
  12. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

All judgement and opinion, and aware Neil himself strongly disagrees--at least he SAYS he does, you will note he doesn't actually run around looking for long-range excuses to work with his guitar brother pal--but Stills is for the most part, especially in the post-springfield years but to my ears even then, not really anywhere near neil's level as a songwriter, singer, musical mind. I'll bow down to other great guitarist who think he's a great guitarist, but i get no special pleasure (beyond a handful of songs, nearly every longtime rock pro has a handful of very good to great songs) out of hearing him write, sing, or play and his high reputation is one of the most confusing things in rock.

THAT SAID...neil is keeping himself busy doing a lot of things, and i would at least out of morbid curiosity and respect for Croz's latelife renaissance be interested in hearing what a CSNY record made now would sound like. But i'd expect not much better than "perhaps amusing curiosity" because the last two CSNY studio lps are big nothings.

ARK, Hep Alien and Boswell like this.
  13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i just buy all of it. some get a lot of spins others collect dust.

frogfog, Sean, O Don Piano and 2 others like this.
  14. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's amazing when you consider how great overall CSNY were and yet they released "American Dream" and "Looking Forward" which are two of the more disappointing albums that I ever remember hearing at the time of their original release.
    We all just sat around with a drink saying "What the hell...?"
    We were crushed at hearing those albums when they came out.

GregK, unclefred and footlooseman like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'american dream' is vastly under-rated, there are a lot of very good songs on there, in fact, other than 'drivin school' and some 80's production it is a damn fine album.

'looking forward is good until the last 4 songs, then it is a very quick downhill slide with sing 12 (sanibel) not even being written by any of them. it does, however, contain neil young's 'slowpoke' which, for lack of a better word, is brilliant.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I loved side two of that album & played it to death. Side one not so much.

Rapid Transit remains one of my favorite Neil songs.

footlooseman and DTK like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Well, when Neil pulled Opera Star out of nowhere in Rotterdam in 2001 it was quite something:

Sugar Mountain

He hadn't played it for 14 years, and it would be another dozen before it showed up again Down Under. A definite WTF concert moment for me. Totally unexpected! :D

Hep Alien, Rockinrob and slipkid like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's cool! For the most part I try to avoid setlist information for any shows that I go to in order to get that surprise buzz when a song comes up I'm not expecting.

ARK likes this.
  19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The live Horse versions of Opera Star and Surfer Joe make the album versions sound tame in comparison. We will probably get Opera Star once Rusted Garage sees the light of day. The 1990 live version of Surfer Joe from the Catalyst has some smokin hot lead guitar. I mean, Neil at the top of his game electric guitar playing.

20. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I want this album to be great, but the new songs I’ve heard Neil play lately don’t provide much hope. Rainbow of Colors brings back memories of Children of Destiny.

DTK likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think the 1994 CSN album After The Storm is better than either. Slowpoke always sounded like a Heart of Gold rewrite to me.

csnfan and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

i remember a very blazing opera star from my dec 86 rusted garage show.....it's a fine, fine blazing quick CH "pop single" style thing, that is, a sharp catchy riff, in and out, not epic, but not a bludgeoning meader either....dig it a lot.

slipkid and Paul Gase like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh, i agree, but to dismiss both of those albums as garbage is just going a bit too far.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neither is garbage, agreed. Just very uneven.
    All the Crosby and Nash songs on American Dream are fairly terrible, and Stills' That Girl too.
    It would be a good Stills-Young Band album ;)

unclefred likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i could always hear chicago covering 'that girl'.

the true gem on 'american dream' is 'night song'.....the single most over-looked song in the entire CSNY catalog (IMHO).

csnfan, Hep Alien and DTK like this.